E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Should BMW replace my car?

09-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Should BMW replace my car?

So, here's the deal. I got the car brand new 3 weeks ago from BMW with these problems:

1. Windshield factory defect - it is replaced now. :mad:
2. Small dent next to the rear license plate
3. Big scratch next to exhaust
4. Bad sliver window frames
5. Bad paint - they buffed it and made it look like hell :mad:
6. Rattles

The thing is I don't want BMW to fix these problems. I don't want any work done on my brand new car.

I know I shouldn't have gotten the car in the first place, but now I will go there today and demand another car.

Do you think BMW should give me another car?

Last edited by E90ice; 09-13-2006 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice
So, here's the deal. I got the car brand new 3 weeks ago from BMW with these problems:

1. Windshield factory defect - it is replaced now. :mad:
2. Small dent next to the rear license plate
3. Big scratch next to exhaust
4. Bad sliver window frames
5. Bad paint - they buffered it and made it look like hell :mad:
6. Rattles

The thing is I don't want BMW to fix these problems. I don't want any work done on my brand new car.

I know I shouldn't have gotten the car in the first place, but now I will go there today and demand another car.

i highly doubt it...u could probably demand a repair but not a replacement.
      09-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
No. These things can all be fixed. They're all cosmetic. And who's to say the dents and scratches are BMW's fault?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinderฎ surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

yeah, a lot of times, cars are damaged while at the dealership, and BMW has no control over that. I sincerely hope they fix everything back to OEM spec, I find that you have to be firm (but not overly aggressive and arrogant) to get decent service/repair from the dealership, let them know that you accept nothing less than OEM specs. Hope everything works out for you man! best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
No. These things can all be fixed. They're all cosmetic. And who's to say the dents and scratches are BMW's fault?
      09-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
triton.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Fit

Garage List
2009 FIT  [2.00]
If 2,3,4,5 where all there upon delivery I would have refused to take the car in the first place and ordered a new car or have them swap with another dealership. If all those issues where there at deliver and they offered the car to you that that's just a bad dealership.

Partial blame does go to you though (Sorry) for taking delivery if all those things were there, though I understand the temptation to take the car if it was right there. Remember with seller/buyer situations, the buyer has ALL THE POWER until they fork over the money. This is all assuming that all these issues were there when you picked up the car.

#1 is easily fixed as is #4 both replacement parts, and the rattles they should be able to be fixed. Unfortunately if these issues were all known and you paid for the car anyway, the dealership doesn't have to and won't give you a new car. I am assuming they are going to fix all of those problems if they were all present.

Good luck and really take a look at the paint job when they fix it.

My E90 OEM Front/Side Bumpers for Sale -Here
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
MakoBimmer1
Booyakasha!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Coupe'

Garage List
You are probably out of luck, especially if BMW of Bellevue. We bought our 2 Z4s from BMW Bellevue 3 days apart. Our Platinum grey Z4 has not had any problems. Our TiAg on the other hand, has been plagued with issues....one being bad paint!

I noticed the paint issues a week after my purchase. (I purchased on an overcast day here in Seattle, and did not see the issues until the sunlight hit the car!) BMW would not replace the car, instead repainted at their expense and will honor the full BMW warranty. The BMWNA rep came to see my car too....he would only repaint the portions needing paint! I was furious. This is not what I expect after purchasing an expensive car. (by the way...the repaint came out gorgeous...looks awesome to this day.) My windshield has a bubble under the rain sensor, but it still functions correctly....they would not replace the windshield. The (dead) battery left me stranded twice in the first week before they would replace the battery! This was a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW CAR!

I too didnt want BMW to 'fix' these problems...I didnt want work done on my new car. I suppose if I had gotten a lawyer, I may have been able to pressure them into taking my car back. They did fix the issues and I got over the fact that it is just a car, man made by hillbillies in Spartanburg, and mine somehow made it under the radar of BMWs supposed quality checks.

Frustrating for you, I know. As for the buffed paint, I would not accept it until it looks EXACTLY like the the other brand new cars on the lot. Maybe get a lawyer too! Let us know what happens....

As for the dents, they should fix those too.

What dealership did you purchase from??? I will be purchasing a new 335i coupe and am frustrated as to which dealer to go to.... I know now to REALLY check my new car over for paint issues, dents, etc BEFORE purchasing a car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Fat chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I think BMW should do whatever they are legally responsible to do - and HIGHLY doubt that will amount to replacing the car. However, you can always hire a lawyer and start the lemon law process.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Got-BMW?
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Did you not see/catch any of this stuff in the pre-delivery inspecation????

If all of it was on the car before purchase, it's your own fault....
      09-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoBimmer1
You are probably out of luck, especially if BMW of Bellevue. We bought our 2 Z4s from BMW Bellevue 3 days apart. Our Platinum grey Z4 has not had any problems. Our TiAg on the other hand, has been plagued with issues....one being bad paint!

I noticed the paint issues a week after my purchase. (I purchased on an overcast day here in Seattle, and did not see the issues until the sunlight hit the car!) BMW would not replace the car, instead repainted at their expense and will honor the full BMW warranty. The BMWNA rep came to see my car too....he would only repaint the portions needing paint! I was furious. This is not what I expect after purchasing an expensive car. (by the way...the repaint came out gorgeous...looks awesome to this day.) My windshield has a bubble under the rain sensor, but it still functions correctly....they would not replace the windshield. The (dead) battery left me stranded twice in the first week before they would replace the battery! This was a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW CAR!

I too didnt want BMW to 'fix' these problems...I didnt want work done on my new car. I suppose if I had gotten a lawyer, I may have been able to pressure them into taking my car back. They did fix the issues and I got over the fact that it is just a car, man made by hillbillies in Spartanburg, and mine somehow made it under the radar of BMWs supposed quality checks.

Frustrating for you, I know. As for the buffed paint, I would not accept it until it looks EXACTLY like the the other brand new cars on the lot. Maybe get a lawyer too! Let us know what happens....

As for the dents, they should fix those too.

What dealership did you purchase from??? I will be purchasing a new 335i coupe and am frustrated as to which dealer to go to.... I know now to REALLY check my new car over for paint issues, dents, etc BEFORE purchasing a car.
I got it from BMW Seattle! This is the second car I got from them in the past 8 months. I didn't like the way this car was delivered to me. Especially the paint.

I just finished talking to them and they refused to replace the car. I was expecting that, but I don't think its fair!! :mad:

They agreed to fix all the problems and put a ceramic clear coat on the paint. After I pick up the car, I will inspect it and if I don't like it, I will get BMW NA involved.
:mad:
      09-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-BMW?
Did you not see/catch any of this stuff in the pre-delivery inspecation????

If all of it was on the car before purchase, it's your own fault....
Yes, I do carry part of the blame, but that doesn't make it right for BMW to sell cars like that! :mad:
      09-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:

they will not give you another car. sounds like you want the 335i.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
MakoBimmer1
Booyakasha!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Coupe'

Garage List
Quote:
They agreed to fix all the problems and put a ceramic clear coat on the paint. After I pick up the car, I will inspect it and if I don't like it, I will get BMW NA involved.
:mad:

You may want to get BMWNA involved anyway. I got a few freebie stuff from BMWNA for all my troubles with my car...a few BMW watches, clothes, travel luggage. Didnt make up for the fact I got a shabby made Z4....

Good luck to you...

--Chad
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
canucklion
Canada
Rep

I think you carry the majority of the blame after reading your statement of "I didn't like the way this car was delivered to me. Especially the paint."
why did you take it then? Yes, the dealership was responsible for checking for damages and defects, but you had the ultimate say in whether or not you were satisfied with the condtion of the car being delivered to you.

mistakes do happen on the ship en route from Germany to NA.

Quote:
Yes, I do carry part of the blame, but that doesn't make it right for BMW to sell cars like that! :mad:
      09-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
If you bought a brand new home, moved in, lived there for three weeks, and then noticed that the soffits had different shades of the same color in the middle of the eaves what do you do? Go back to the builder and demand a brand new house? Of course not! You discuss it in a logical, emotionally neutral manner and come to an agreement for rectifying the problem. The builder sends his painter back, mixes all cans of paint together into a single vat, preps and repaints. When finished he presents it to you for your acceptance.

BMW builds cars. It's an elaborate work of craftsmanship. Even the best carpenter or painter can have flaws in their work. But the best of them will work with the customer to correct deficiencies if given a chance. Your posts don't seem to show you have given BMW the chance. It isn't right for you not to.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

I don't want to make any accusations- it's done.
I will say that when I picked up my car, I did give it a thorough once-over.
When I bought my M3 in '98, there were some tax issues because I live in NH and was buying the car in MA. They wanted to drive the car to the state line and deliver it to me in a mall parking lot- in a snowstorm.
Well, because this is a nice site, I won't tell you what I told the dealer- lots of 4-letter words, and suggestions on what they could do to their family members and pets at home. Somehow they found a way to deliver at the dealership. Hmmm.
My biggest concern was NOT being able to look the car over.
I picked up a new '94 300Z (Twin Turbo, might I add!) in late '94 and there were some nasty key scratches by the keyhole- not vandalism, just stupidity.
They told me to take the car- this ride was $44K, by the way, in 1994!!- and they'd cut me a check for $100 to have it fixed later at any body shop. Huh?
Ummm, no. You'll fix at your body shop, and it'll be so perfect that even I (who knew where the marks were) won't be able to find them with the microscope I'm bringing back to the dealership.
I'm not a prick (though I may sound like one). These cars- all of them- are expensive and I work hard to pay for them- fair is fair.
There is nothing more powerful than NOT driving that car off the lot- they WILL make it perfect, believe me.
Never accept- "make an appointment with the body shop", "bring it back next week", "we'll take care of it", blh, blah, blah.
Not a chance!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #17
canucklion
Canada
Rep

exactly, 'cuz once you take possession of the car, they have the upper hand, not you
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnuts
I don't want to make any accusations- it's done.
I will say that when I picked up my car, I did give it a thorough once-over.
When I bought my M3 in '98, there were some tax issues because I live in NH and was buying the car in MA. They wanted to drive the car to the state line and deliver it to me in a mall parking lot- in a snowstorm.
Well, because this is a nice site, I won't tell you what I told the dealer- lots of 4-letter words, and suggestions on what they could do to their family members and pets at home. Somehow they found a way to deliver at the dealership. Hmmm.
My biggest concern was NOT being able to look the car over.
I picked up a new '94 300Z (Twin Turbo, might I add!) in late '94 and there were some nasty key scratches by the keyhole- not vandalism, just stupidity.
They told me to take the car- this ride was $44K, by the way, in 1994!!- and they'd cut me a check for $100 to have it fixed later at any body shop. Huh?
Ummm, no. You'll fix at your body shop, and it'll be so perfect that even I (who knew where the marks were) won't be able to find them with the microscope I'm bringing back to the dealership.
I'm not a prick (though I may sound like one). These cars- all of them- are expensive and I work hard to pay for them- fair is fair.
There is nothing more powerful than NOT driving that car off the lot- they WILL make it perfect, believe me.
Never accept- "make an appointment with the body shop", "bring it back next week", "we'll take care of it", blh, blah, blah.
Not a chance!
      09-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
not even close.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

you've got to be kidding me

you dented your car and now want it replaced
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
Phila
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325xi

I think instead of oil changes every few thousand miles, they should just give us new cars. Same goes for when the tires wear out.
      09-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #21
canucklion
Canada
Rep

or when they dare bring out a new engine after only 1 year in production, how dare them
      09-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #22
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
i wouldn;t have taken the car in that condition. Could you attach pics of teh scratches and dents? I'm sure we would like to see what you're talking about.