E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What's the limiting factor behind a USB retrofit?

08-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
What's the limiting factor behind a USB retrofit?

So no one seems to be checking the audio forums at all I figured I'd give it a shot here.

What is the limiting factor that's preventing the development of a USB retrofit for iDrive? digging around the net for several days I haven't been able to come up with a good reason.

Has anyone tried splicing the OEM ipod adapter retrofit onto a female USB connector? Electrically speaking, splicing a USB connector on should pose no issues the only other issue would be the software. I couldn't really imagine that BMW would code specifically for ipod only and that any media player that supports remote control should work.

With all the aftermarket mods out there that spoof a CD player over the m-bus, it should be pretty trivial to build a USB retrofit. A simple USB microcontroller with fat32 capability should be more than sufficient to interface with iDrive. A setup as simple as that should easily be able to index a HDD and allow people to play from any USB drive.

Am I missing something huge? Or has it just never been tried before?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

There is an OEM 6FL retrofit already available for Professional HU/iDrive... in Canada:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...70&postcount=4
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I have yet to actually find an instance where someone had this "retrofit" installed. The manual for retrofit has existed for quite some time. The manual linked to in that thread is at least 2 years old. Despite that, during that two years there has never been a post actually saying someone had it done.

I lost track of the number of times someone said they were getting 6FL only to later come back and correct and say it was just the OEM ipod adapter.

EU or anywhere else, a 6FL retrofit is NOT available. A makeshift USB retrofit is available for LOWEND head units in the EU however these lowend head units are NOT available in the US.

So in summary: nothing exists.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
I have yet to actually find an instance where someone had this "retrofit" installed. The manual for retrofit has existed for quite some time. The manual linked to in that thread is at least 2 years old. Despite that, during that two years there has never been a post actually saying someone had it done.

I lost track of the number of times someone said they were getting 6FL only to later come back and correct and say it was just the OEM ipod adapter.

EU or anywhere else, a 6FL retrofit is NOT available. A makeshift USB retrofit is available for LOWEND head units in the EU however these lowend head units are NOT available in the US.

So in summary: nothing exists.
It does, just not in the USA.

Quote:

These installation instructions are only valid for cars from radio level 2 onwards.

Radio level 2 = Professional

The Business 6FL retrofit kit has a different P/N than this document's kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Well, for there being a 6FL retrofit kit, I have yet to see evidence that someone actually had it put in. Do you know of any instances where someone has had it installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well, for there being a 6FL retrofit kit, I have yet to see evidence that someone actually had it put in. Do you know of any instances where someone has had it installed?
The mere fact that there is an OEM retrofit document for the 6FL applicable for Professional radios is enough for me; I really do not have to see this installation physically done, much less when this is not available in the USA. And even if you can get this hardware kit from Canada and properly install it in the USA no dealer will have the OEM software to code this retrofit. You will need somebody with the Autologic to code this kit in the USA.

The thing about forums is that sooner or later you will have to be the guinea pig to have your own questions answered.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Indeed I don't disagree that I will have to be my own guinea pig, I have no qualms about doing that, however most of these forums are international so I would expect some sort of discussion over a feature this much desired. I guess I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Indeed I don't disagree that I will have to be my own guinea pig, I have no qualms about doing that, however most of these forums are international so I would expect some sort of discussion over a feature this much desired. I guess I was wrong.
Not so fast... you are in the wrong forum section. You need to ask this question at the Regional (outside USA forums) section for the real feedback. That's where this retrofit is available, right?
Appreciate 0