E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sports Package Question

09-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Old Blue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i/pp/cw/203

Sports Package Question

Hey all.....

This is my first post here. A little background....in 2003, on the advice of a friend, I test drove and got my first BMW (325i). This was coming off a late 1980's toyota corolla that got me through school and the first phases of my career (university professor). What an upgrade. Needless to say, I knew very little about BMW's prior to getting this car.

My lease it set to exprire later this year and I am looking to order a new 2007 sedan (328i). Over the course of the past 3 years I have become more and more interested in driving and "learning" how the BMW takes the roads.

As a result, I plan to include the sports package. Here is my question: are the performance tires included with the 328i sports package suitable for year around driving? Or will I need to get additional tires, rims, etc.?? Keep in mind I live in Indiana which can have rather interesting winter weather. I have read the other info I could find on the sports package and understand I should experience a ride that is more stiff and firm.

I have read over the forums in detail the past couple of weeks and learned a ton....thank you all. I have been amazed at all the great info and I think I now understand the "addiction" to the BMW experience (at least a little better!).

Thanks....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

you'll be needing winter wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

since the car is RWD (bad for snow, less traction) winter tires are necesary for significant snow. but you don't need some cool or gangsta rims with it, just some cheap wheels for a couple hundred bucks and some winter tires should be enough.

the sportpackage just has bigger rims, same tires.

E90post Project 325i

www.creativeautoworks.com
James@creativeautoworks.com
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Old Blue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i/pp/cw/203

ok, but I learned how to drive in northern Iowa/southern Minn on rear wheel drive. My current 325 has 16-inch wheels. I did not changes this in the winters and I've been fine. But again, I am not sure I am comparing apples to apples. The sports package lists "performance tires". I am not sure what that means (i.e. low profile), or as you folks have already suggested, the rims are bigger, but the tires are essentially the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue
ok, but I learned how to drive in northern Iowa/southern Minn on rear wheel drive. My current 325 has 16-inch wheels. I did not changes this in the winters and I've been fine. But again, I am not sure I am comparing apples to apples. The sports package lists "performance tires". I am not sure what that means (i.e. low profile), or as you folks have already suggested, the rims are bigger, but the tires are essentially the same.
Low profile, 18" rims giving you less rubber profile and less flex compared to your 16" rims. Also, the performance summer tires have very few sipes and cuts for traction. Also, you may have All-season tires which again have larger lugs for snow tracking versus summer performance tires -- its not exactly correct, but think street legal racing tires vs tires with lugs for traction like a tractor.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

no, sport package gets performance summer tires, while non-sport gets all-seasons (at least that was the case with 325/330's)

to the OP: definitely invest in some good winter tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
the sportpackage just has bigger rims, same tires.
      09-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Yup, you'll need winter tires. I'll be looking for some myself in a couple of months.
      09-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Look at the threads on winter tires. Bottom line: do it. The sports package is wonderful, the best thing you can do for your 328. Winter tires are a snap: just call TireRack and get a set of Dunlop M3s on some rims that look OK to you. Cost about 1200, but you save wear on your summer tires, and will get resale out of the winter set, so no real cost in the long run. M3s are great all around tires, ride about like all seasons in the dry, but work great in snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #9
RyanE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Look at the threads on winter tires. Bottom line: do it. The sports package is wonderful, the best thing you can do for your 328. Winter tires are a snap: just call TireRack and get a set of Dunlop M3s on some rims that look OK to you. Cost about 1200, but you save wear on your summer tires, and will get resale out of the winter set, so no real cost in the long run. M3s are great all around tires, ride about like all seasons in the dry, but work great in snow.
I've been wondering about whether I should get winter tires here in Missouri (St. Louis) and I guess I have my answer now. I have a 325i with sports pkg. on the way and have been on the fence because I only live a mile and a half from the office and my wife works across the street. But we both have to leave our offices frequently and it is possible that I could get caught in the snow with no other options. I just know that as soon as I fork over $1000 for winter shoes that we'll see two light dustings all winter that don't impact me at all.

When do you put the winter tires on? Do you leave them on all season?
Appreciate 0