E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Test Drive 335i - Saturday 9/9/06

09-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Bmrboy
Rep
Drives: 2005 Lotus Elise

Test Drive 335i - Saturday 9/9/06

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to test drive the 335i Coupe on Saturday, so I figured I would share my thoughts with you.

At first I didn't think they had a manual in stock, but then all of a sudden they did. I test drove a Space Grey with Coral Red/Grey Poplar interior. Let me first tell you that the Grey Poplar is a fantastic looking trim. I was going to go with aluminum first, but after seeing it in person (and hearing the complaints about the brown tone) I am TOTALLY sold on it. Very classy and you will *NOT* be disappointed. I wasn't too thrilled with the Coral Red. It provides a great contrast from outside the car but I would get tired of it real quick. Going to stick with the black. Space grey looks like an okay color in person, but I felt that it was too subdued when looking at it (if that makes sense). I ended up ordering Sparkling Graphite.

Now, on to the test drive:

Pulling out of the dealer, I couldn't help but notice how much different this interior was than that of the e46. It is much more plush and refined. I have heard some say that the car rides really rough on 18s, but I did not notice that at all. In fact, my 330CI had 18s on it and I felt that it was rougher than this.

When pushing this car on the test drive I couldn't help but notice how smooth and precise the power delivery was; very balanced. I also couldn't help but notice how great the new steering wheel was, seemed a little bit thicker like the M3 and really well designed. The dash and layout is incredible too..everything seems to be in the right place. They had a weird lever below the turn signal...I kept hitting that on accident when making turns, not quite sure what that is, but it was slightly annoying. Comparing this car to an M3, you can tell it doesn't have quite the same oomph...but it is very close. The power in this car is deceiving, you will hit 60-80 almost effortlessly.

Comments about the clutch, shifter: The clutch is definitely a little bit softer than it was on my 330CI. It didn't really bother me, but the layout of the shifter was a little weird to get used to. It seemed like it was harder to shift between gears and that will take some getting used to.

I did manage to turn the stereo on, wanted to test the Logic7. I wasn't really that impressed with it but I only went through a couple of local radio stations. I've heard a lot of good things about it and I will look forward to hearing more of it.

All in all, a fantastic car that none of you will be disappointed with. The inside of the car is TREMENDOUSLY nice and reminds me of a lot of higher end cars costing much more. I was also pleasantly surprised with the exterior. The car is a bit more conservative in terms of styling, but pictures do not do it justice and it really is a fantastic looking car. Put the right wheels and aerodynamic changes and it will look great.

That's my .02....

bmr
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrboy
They had a weird lever below the turn signal...I kept hitting that on accident when making turns, not quite sure what that is, but it was slightly annoying.
Cruise control stalk? I agree, I don't like the cruise control controller either.

Oh, and Logic 7 stereo is excellent, IMO. You need to listen to it some more.
      09-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Bmrboy
Rep

RE: Logic7

It just seemed like it was too flat (not enough highs) on the station I was listening to. Maybe just an adjustment... A good sound system is important to me so I will look forward to getting that IPOD hookup and testing it out in a few months..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
It just seemed like it was too flat (not enough highs) on the station I was listening to. Maybe just an adjustment...
Maybe you already did this, but when you go to the audio settings and select Music, that makes a big difference in sound quality on Logic.
      09-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
      09-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
Traceaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrboy
Hi All,

I finally got a chance to test drive the 335i Coupe on Saturday, so I figured I would share my thoughts with you.

At first I didn't think they had a manual in stock, but then all of a sudden they did. I test drove a Space Grey with Coral Red/Grey Poplar interior. Let me first tell you that the Grey Poplar is a fantastic looking trim. I was going to go with aluminum first, but after seeing it in person (and hearing the complaints about the brown tone) I am TOTALLY sold on it. Very classy and you will *NOT* be disappointed. I wasn't too thrilled with the Coral Red. It provides a great contrast from outside the car but I would get tired of it real quick. Going to stick with the black. Space grey looks like an okay color in person, but I felt that it was too subdued when looking at it (if that makes sense). I ended up ordering Sparkling Graphite.

bmr
Go back for a 2nd test drive, and take some pics of the gray poplar for us. Ive seen pics where it looks great, just lots of gray and black, and then pics where it seems mostly brownish
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
Bmrboy
Rep

Tracer, trust me when I say the grey poplar is an amazing trim. I'm not even considering any of the others now. There may be a hint of brown in it, but you won't even notice it in person. It is fantastic and I would take it over aluminum or any other wood for that matter. If I get over there again I will take pictures..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

is the logic pkg much better than the non version? i think it's standard on the 335 but it isnt on the 328.
Appreciate 0