E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e90i m-sport problem

09-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
mighty chipster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90i M-Sport

e90i m-sport problem

Guys,

Owned a e90 m sport 320 (manual) since march and I have been experiencing a sporadic issue.

It is more noticeable in 1st gear (more agressive due to the high gear?), but when I pull away from standstill in first gear all is well for the first second or so then the engine cuts power, the car then gives you the impression it wants to stall, then a second or so later acceleration is returned and all is well again. Almost like serious turbo lag or when you are in the wrong gear, like 5th instead of 2nd for example and the car struggles to adapt.

It occurs in 1st but 2nd and 3rd. It also occurs when rolling along toward a roundabout (for example) and if I was to pull away in second gear and again I experience the above issue.

Now, my problem is that the car has already been with my local dealer for 5 days and they have checked everything, sent reports off to BMW UK, road tested and the engineer cannot replicate the issue or find a "log" in the management software.

I have since had the cam & crank sensor replaced to no avail.

Some would say that it was my driving style, but it has happend to my wife too.

Today had a meeting with BMW area service representative who took the car for a quick drive with me and he too experienced it first hand. He will be getting back to me soon.

Thoughts please!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty chipster
Guys,

Owned a e90 m sport 320 (manual) since march and I have been experiencing a sporadic issue.

It is more noticeable in 1st gear (more agressive due to the high gear?), but when I pull away from standstill in first gear all is well for the first second or so then the engine cuts power, the car then gives you the impression it wants to stall, then a second or so later acceleration is returned and all is well again. Almost like serious turbo lag or when you are in the wrong gear, like 5th instead of 2nd for example and the car struggles to adapt.

It occurs in 1st but 2nd and 3rd. It also occurs when rolling along toward a roundabout (for example) and if I was to pull away in second gear and again I experience the above issue.

Now, my problem is that the car has already been with my local dealer for 5 days and they have checked everything, sent reports off to BMW UK, road tested and the engineer cannot replicate the issue or find a "log" in the management software.

I have since had the cam & crank sensor replaced to no avail.

Some would say that it was my driving style, but it has happend to my wife too.

Today had a meeting with BMW area service representative who took the car for a quick drive with me and he too experienced it first hand. He will be getting back to me soon.

Thoughts please!!
Was the service rep driving or were you when it happened? If it was the service rep driving then it can't be your driving style. Either way, you can get a bit of comfort knowing that the dealership can't say it's all in your head and there's nothing wrong.

There are so many different things that are intertwined with this vehicle -- software, sensors, hardware -- that could be causing this problem. You'd think, though, if it were a sensor or software it would be logged in the computer.

Unless you've racked up a massive amount of miles in six months (like the Land's End to John O'Groats run several dozen times) the warrantee should take care of it. Alas, you're without the car while the service department scratches the head (or other body parts as needed).
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Was the service rep driving or were you when it happened? If it was the service rep driving then it can't be your driving style. Either way, you can get a bit of comfort knowing that the dealership can't say it's all in your head and there's nothing wrong.

There are so many different things that are intertwined with this vehicle -- software, sensors, hardware -- that could be causing this problem. You'd think, though, if it were a sensor or software it would be logged in the computer.

Unless you've racked up a massive amount of miles in six months (like the Land's End to John O'Groats run several dozen times) the warrantee should take care of it. Alas, you're without the car while the service department scratches the head (or other body parts as needed).
Unlimited milage warranty - so it's going to be covered. My guess is an engine management problem of some sort.

Just insist on a replacement car, while yours is with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 02:26 AM   #4
mighty chipster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90i M-Sport

update

Had the car in yesterday at the dealership and had the BMW area service representative come out for a test drive with me.

Fortunately, we (he) was able to replicate the issue. He drove.

Since that meeting he has now come back with a possible known issue and fix.

Apparently the 2.0 litre engine in the e90 is the same as BMW put in the X3 and there has been a VVT problem that was indentified and fixed.

It was "valve lift of VVT raise from 0.3 - 0.8"

Does that make sense to anyone?

Anyhow, booked in next week for the fix! Hurrah!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

Fingers crossed for you!
      09-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Hope it gets fixed pretty quick. Bring it up to Donington on the 23rd and run the fix in real well.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0