E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Remote start in 06 330i- is this the right equipment?

08-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w/ Premium Package

Remote start in 06 330i- is this the right equipment?

Want to put a remote start in my 06 330i w/ premium package. I would like to know if this is the right equipment. This is what a local stereo shop recommended.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...Directed_KIBMW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://www.amazon.com/Python-4203P-R...391361&sr=8-12
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

That is the right equipment... but you don't want to try installing this yourself... and you want a warranty, which none of that gray market stuff will give you. Better to get the Viper or Clifford Responder One and get a better warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep

Would that work for a code alarm remote start too?

http://kcautosound.com/Code-Alarm-CA...-S-pr-618.html
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

That specific interface will not work with a Code Alarm. That specific interface set is Directed Only - Viper, Python, Clifford Matrix, Avital, with a D2D port.

Oh, in my professional opinion, that Code is a POS. The Responder One has better range and a way cooler remote. I prefer the Viper remote for Responder One.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

i wish i could have remote start. im manual and dont want an extra fob

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Oh, in my professional opinion, that Code is a POS. The Responder One has better range and a way cooler remote. I prefer the Viper remote for Responder One.
Lol, what are you, the local bmw remote start expert?

I decided to go with the python responder one. You can install a pager device with the code alarm which means that you can start it with your phone. The downside is that it takes a minute or two to start up. However, the python is smaller and i've had good experiences with that company before.

Getting installed tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

If you knew his background you wouldn't be questioning him. Trust me, he knows what he's talking about.

FWIW, Code Alarm hasn't made a decent security system in at least a decade.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

DO NOT GET A REMOTE STARTER. I have heard people having so many problems, BMW especially, that they can't start the car, they've lost functionality of the key, etc. Just my .02 cents. A warranty through a company won't really mean much either considering the shit economy and the fight you will have to endure if they F up your ride. Sound Advice/Tweeter was a great company who knew what they were doing with great warranties but they sank...Be careful. I woud rethink it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Alarms, more than ANY other piece of electronics you'll add to a car, are incredibly sensitive to bad installs. Even on an E9x, a properly installed remote start system will outlast the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think the concern in this instance is not the alarm/RS itself, but the CAN interface to allow starting without the OE immobilizer-bypass chip in the key being physically present.

The good news is that once you have a working CAN module that talks to the car, it can also control locks, lights, and many other body control functions usually requiring manual wire-by-wire interface.

The bad news is that if it's a POS, or has a bug in it, or isn't pre-programmed properly, or is installed with the wrong software - it's on your freakin' CAN bus.

So I understand both. As a longtime defender of alarm installs, I know there is nothing inherently risky in them.

But interface modules - and their proper setup - seem to have more goofups associated with them, before they work the way you want them to.

By all accounts, this DLPK/KIBMW set plugs into the E9x and works great. But at the time of its release, I couldn't figure out from the instructions what it was supposed to do through data and what it wasn't.

OP, I Pmd you the guy to have your installer talk to.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep

Hey, made a phone call to one of the numbers you gave me. He said that I would have to give up a key, and that it probably was not an installation issue.

He said that the "windings" around the start barrel are very particular and that the installer is just basically going to have to mess with it some more.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Grr... I WAS WRONG.

The initial presentation of the KIBMW was that it would only equire keys to be lost - i.e., used in the installation - if the car had Comfort Access. That was my understanding.

But I am told by Directed technical that the key must still be used. Since the DLPK/KIBMW use similar technology to the Fortin CAN-SL2 and BMW-INT, I can only assume the same applies to those units.

Since iDatalink doesn't even list a BMW on their lookup tool, they don't appear to have any solution at all - so, it would appear that you are losing a key (or a pellet if you decide to only lose a valet key and have another made, which is what I would do).

My apologies for allowing my dated information to lead others astray.

I bought all this stuff and haven't hooked it up... boy, would I have been in for a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Grr... I WAS WRONG.

The initial presentation of the KIBMW was that it would only equire keys to be lost - i.e., used in the installation - if the car had Comfort Access. That was my understanding.

But I am told by Directed technical that the key must still be used. Since the DLPK/KIBMW use similar technology to the Fortin CAN-SL2 and BMW-INT, I can only assume the same applies to those units.

Since iDatalink doesn't even list a BMW on their lookup tool, they don't appear to have any solution at all - so, it would appear that you are losing a key (or a pellet if you decide to only lose a valet key and have another made, which is what I would do).

My apologies for allowing my dated information to lead others astray.

I bought all this stuff and haven't hooked it up... boy, would I have been in for a surprise.

...because DEI gave me the same info that you originally had - that you needed a key for setup only...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep

Took it back to Ultimate Electronics and they got it working. Apparently the KIBMW diagram is not the best and my installer basically had tech support on the phone for quite a while. But whatever it works.

I'm going to test it out the next few days. So far it seems pretty nice.

One thing that I do not know what to think of is with the KIBMW module after you turn it on you can press remote start again to unlock the doors. Well when you do that it also allows you to start driving the car without inserting the key!

I called Directed Electronics and they confirmed that this is how the KIBMW is supposed to operate. Don't know exactly what to think of that one to be honest. It actually saves me from getting a new smart key, but you just have to be careful not to press the button again!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Montego Blue+Black Int.

So you don't need to put a key fob in the car?
Mind if I ask how much for everything (parts + installation)?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

That is very dangerous....

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet1978 View Post
Took it back to Ultimate Electronics and they got it working. Apparently the KIBMW diagram is not the best and my installer basically had tech support on the phone for quite a while. But whatever it works.

I'm going to test it out the next few days. So far it seems pretty nice.

One thing that I do not know what to think of is with the KIBMW module after you turn it on you can press remote start again to unlock the doors. Well when you do that it also allows you to start driving the car without inserting the key!

I called Directed Electronics and they confirmed that this is how the KIBMW is supposed to operate. Don't know exactly what to think of that one to be honest. It actually saves me from getting a new smart key, but you just have to be careful not to press the button again!

...and, in theory, by leaving a key in the car you have lost any theft coverage with your insurance....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanboy View Post
So you don't need to put a key fob in the car?
Mind if I ask how much for everything (parts + installation)?
They keyfob is in the car, but it is hidden under the dash. You would have to really look hard to find it.

Right around $600 total cost.

Python Responder One $150
KIBMW 245
DLPK 40
Installation 150
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

But did you buy from the authorized dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep

I am not sure. I went online to buy b/c the equipment was significantly cheaper. I basically made sure that each one had a 30 day return policy and the equipment had a valid one year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #20
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet1978 View Post
I am not sure. I went online to buy b/c the equipment was significantly cheaper. I basically made sure that each one had a 30 day return policy and the equipment had a valid one year warranty.
Sorry, I am pretty sure you KNEW it wasn't purchased from an authorized dealer.

As such, none of it has any warranty from the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Especially since Directed gives you a lifetime warranty if installed by an authorized dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #22
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Hey Quality Sound....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Especially since Directed gives you a lifetime warranty if installed by an authorized dealer.

...are you planning to jump ship to the dark side?

cb1111 from the 'tex,,,,
Appreciate 0