Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help identify wheels - Style 199?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Question Help identify wheels - Style 199?

Back in April 2005, jwocky posted a picture of a Titanium Silver E90 in the snow with some nice wheels:

Official Titanium Silver Thread - post 33

Later in that thread there's some discussion as to whether the wheels are a Photoshop job or the 19" BMW Style 199.

I also have in front of me the Original BMW Accessories catalog for the 3 Series Sedan. On page 8 there's a wide shot an E90 in Sparkling Grahite with the Style 199 wheels. They don't look the same as the wheels in the photo above.

The spokes in the Style 199 wheels don't seem to flare or widen like the ones in the photo above, unless the lighting is so different that the shapes cannot be reliably compared. The wheels in the accessories booklet are lit such that the outward-facing plane of the spokes stands out while the rest of the wheel is in deep shadow. The photo above has more generous lighting on the wheels and makes the spokes look a lot wider, especially at their outer edges where they meet the rest of the wheel near the tire.

Are the wheels in the photo really Style 199, or is this photo just contrived? I find the wheels in the photo very appealing and am interested to know whether they exist in real life.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

I think it's a photoshop job... Look at the solid black in the openings of the wheels. They also look a little off center within the tires.
      08-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, now I notice that the front and rear wheels appear pixel-by-pixel identical, which could never happen in a real photo.

So then the question becomes: Are the wheels in the photo a real BMW product? They appear to have the roundel in the center.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

It's possible that they are photoshop-ed, but I don't know. Look at the tires themselves...there's snow on them. Do you have any idea how difficult that would be to add snow to tires to make them look the way they do in the picture? Again, anything is possible, but there's a little too much detail for them to be completely done with photoshop. Three possibilities: 1) they are real 2) the tires and rims came from another picture that also happened to have snow 3) only the rims have been pasted over the tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
Yes, now I notice that the front and rear wheels appear pixel-by-pixel identical, which could never happen in a real photo.

So then the question becomes: Are the wheels in the photo a real BMW product? They appear to have the roundel in the center.
Someone on this forum bought aftermarket rims from Tire Rack.com and tire rack gave them 4 replacement center caps which were the BMW roundel.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

yep, when execution got his 19" ASA's, Tire Rack gave him the center caps, very nice. I think this is a photshop job of the rim pasted onto the tire. The rim may not be a BMW product, but I'm sure it is out there. If you can't find this rim, I'm sure you could find something very similar.
      08-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its a Photoshop

Here is the Original
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looking beyond BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
The rim may not be a BMW product, but I'm sure it is out there. If you can't find this rim, I'm sure you could find something very similar.
Can anyone make any recommendations on finding the manufacturer and model of this wheel, or perhaps one that's close?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

seh, those are somewhat similar to the BMW 19” Star Spoke 128 wheels tooner has on his car. This is his thread -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30073
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
seh, those are somewhat similar to the BMW 19” Star Spoke 128 wheels tooner has on his car.
Yes, I thought the same thing at first, and spent a while yesterday looking into the Style 128s after seeing Tooner's post.

The Style 128 wheel is nice and looks great, but it's not quite the match I was looking for; it lacks that groove or ridge down the center of each spoke like the ones in the snow picture. The search continues for the mysteriously unidentifiable wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Possible (disappointing) answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
The search continues for the mysteriously unidentifiable wheels.
I think I figured it out: they are probably the Ace Trend.

Unfortunately, the real finish is quite different than the lightened, smoothed appearance in the doctored photo. At some risk of offending any owners here, these Ace wheels just look cheap. As much as I love that picture (kudos to the artist), I don't think these wheels would look that good in real life.

After much looking around, the Hartge Classic (10-spoke) has caught my fancy -- again thanks to a post by jwocky.
Appreciate 0