E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just got my car, some 'minor' issues... do I?

08-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z MT, 06 330i

Just got my car, some 'minor' issues... do I?

Hello, just took delivery of my car Wednesday night of last week, and for the most part, I love it. I'm having some issues though, and I don't know whether to report them or not... would you?

1. Stuck pixel on LCD panel - is it worse to have the stuck pixel or have them tear out half the dashboard to put a new one in?

2. I put 19" M5 reps on the day I received the car. The rear offset is +20, which I knew would be aggressive, but was 'green-lighted' due to tire size (265/30). I'm rubbing on big bumps. I have the sport package. The rubbing isn't horrible, but yes - it's a nuisance I have to take care of. I took it to a wheel shop and they said it appeared the rear wheels were out of alignment, like the back of the rear wheels were jutting out, and that it was more than likely out of alignment when I took delivery of the car. He said that 60% of all cars that drive off the lot, regardless of maker, are out of alignment off the bat. He suggested taking it to the dealership and asking them to do an alignment free of charge. He is completely against rolling the fenders.

3. Engine noise - it just doesn't sound like a new car. When at idle, it just sounds a little... sick? Just not smooth, like I'd expect.

4. CD glitches - I burned a MP3 CD, and it seems like 75% of the time, when I get in the car, although it was on CD before, it goes to radio. When I try to switch to CD, it's darkened. If I try to voice command it, it says "No CD inserted". I have to eject and put it back in, then it's fine.

I don't want to sound like I'm totally nitpicking the thing, but these are things I have genuine questions about. Don't get me wrong, I do like the car quite a bit... would you complain?
      08-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

These are all valid complaints and you should not delay in bringing each and every one up with your dealer. Your car is brand new - it should behave like it.

Regardless, here are my thoughts on each of them:

1- You might have to live with this if you're not a fan of them taking your dash apart. Maybe it can be massaged out, like on a comuter LCD.

2- Might to be tough to get them to fix something after your aftermarket wheels were put on.

3- This might be just because your car is brand new. Takes some time for all the components (engine and tranny) to become broken in and run smoothly.

4- Try another brand CD, and use name brands. Some poor quality CDs are not read well.

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks... I will do that. I may have to pay for the alignment, but oh well.
      08-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesamprs
These are all valid complaints and you should not delay in bringing each and every one up with your dealer. Your car is brand new - it should behave like it.

Regardless, here are my thoughts on each of them:

1- You might have to live with this if you're not a fan of them taking your dash apart. Maybe it can be massaged out, like on a comuter LCD.

2- Might to be tough to get them to fix something after your aftermarket wheels were put on.

3- This might be just because your car is brand new. Takes some time for all the components (engine and tranny) to become broken in and run smoothly.

4- Try another brand CD, and use name brands. Some poor quality CDs are not read well.
Sage advice.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
1. Actually... regarding the LCD, it's not that difficult to remove... 2 torx screws and the whole screen comes out --no "ripping apart the dash".

2. Regarding the +20mm offset... if you're rubbing you're too aggressive. I'm assuming it's 19x9.5? Then +20mm will definitely rub. Sorry, but you should've checked out the wheel/tire sub-forum and realized that other people have had problems with this as well. Since you have them already you're stuck with it... You now have two options. 1. sell the rims, 2. roll your rear fender. You might be able to get away with a skinnier tire, but I'm pretty sure you'll still rub.

3. No idea... get it checked out?

4. Try burning the mp3 cd at a slower speed also... I have problems with mp3 cds in my car when I burn at 32x-48x. I usually drop it down to 8x and have no problems.
      08-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibr
1. Actually... regarding the LCD, it's not that difficult to remove... 2 torx screws and the whole screen comes out --no "ripping apart the dash".

2. Regarding the +20mm offset... if you're rubbing you're too aggressive. I'm assuming it's 19x9.5? Then +20mm will definitely rub. Sorry, but you should've checked out the wheel/tire sub-forum and realized that other people have had problems with this as well. Since you have them already you're stuck with it... You now have two options. 1. sell the rims, 2. roll your rear fender. You might be able to get away with a skinnier tire, but I'm pretty sure you'll still rub.

3. No idea... get it checked out?

4. Try burning the mp3 cd at a slower speed also... I have problems with mp3 cds in my car when I burn at 32x-48x. I usually drop it down to 8x and have no problems.
1. Thanks... I've pretty much decided it's gotta go in for that.

2. I'd say about 80% of the posts I read said that if you went with a 265/30 tire it wouldn't rub unless you had passengers in the back... which is why I went with that, the back seat will get used less than mine did in high school. Ok, that was a joke, my backseat in high school had stainguard on it.

3. I'm going to give it the 1000 mile test... at that point, if it still sounds a little shaky, I'll complain. Is everyone else's car near "silent" at idle, when you're outside of it?

4. I'll do that - I'm using relatively cheap CD's and burning at max, so I'll give that a run.

Thanks so far to those with advice, which I had someone local to bounce this stuff off of.
      08-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Jimbola
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Cabrio MSport PP NAV

Hey Woo, sorry for the issues you have in hand. I'm sure it will all work out. Just so you know, my car sounds pretty smooth now but not when i first pictked it up. I have around 800 miles and it seems like the car is riding, driving sunding better every day. Even the clutch feels SO much better now even with only 800 miles.

Good luck!
J
      08-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Hey,

I know about your first problem.
Had a red pixel that would stay red no matter what color it was supposed to turn.

I took it in, and they replaced it no problem. They were preety sweet about it too. Unfortunately, the lady that helped me out is no longer there

You paid for a Nav, may as well get one that works like its supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWoo
1. Thanks... I've pretty much decided it's gotta go in for that.

2. I'd say about 80% of the posts I read said that if you went with a 265/30 tire it wouldn't rub unless you had passengers in the back... which is why I went with that, the back seat will get used less than mine did in high school. Ok, that was a joke, my backseat in high school had stainguard on it.

3. I'm going to give it the 1000 mile test... at that point, if it still sounds a little shaky, I'll complain. Is everyone else's car near "silent" at idle, when you're outside of it?

4. I'll do that - I'm using relatively cheap CD's and burning at max, so I'll give that a run.

Thanks so far to those with advice, which I had someone local to bounce this stuff off of.
I have those wheels, which i LOVE and get LOTS of wows lol, it rubs on big bumps, no one is ever in my back seat. It does not bother me, if it bothers you, you may want to go back to stock.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I'm not sure how an alignment is supposed to help the rubbing issue

alignment adjustment is pretty fine,

they're not going to be able to just crank on some bolt to tuck the tire in more than a fraction of an inch

the wheel guy's feeding you that to cover his butt for selling you wheels that don't fit
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I'm not sure how an alignment is supposed to help the rubbing issue

alignment adjustment is pretty fine,

they're not going to be able to just crank on some bolt to tuck the tire in more than a fraction of an inch

the wheel guy's feeding you that to cover his butt for selling you wheels that don't fit
Wheel guy didn't sell me anything. I actually was going to him to roll the fenders. He's basically said he thinks an alignment would fix it rather than the rolling... he's completely impartial and unpaid.
      08-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
I have those wheels, which i LOVE and get LOTS of wows lol, it rubs on big bumps, no one is ever in my back seat. It does not bother me, if it bothers you, you may want to go back to stock.
Doesn't "bother" me that bad - I'm just worried about it actually doing some kind of damage. There's gotta be something bad happening when that sound happens, right?
      08-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #13
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
problem #4......burn CDs at low speed and do not run other programs while burning
use Verbatim brand CDs...they work best
Appreciate 0