Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > flat RFT - newb questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

flat RFT - newb questions

Hello All,

(style 230 wheels with the stock bridgestone RFTs)

As I was about to go cruise around town tonight, I noticed my TPMS alert. Driver side rear. Hopped out of the car, checked the tire, and didn't see any nails. Oh well, I thought. I needed gas anyway, so I drove to the local Shell station. Upon attempting to fill the tire, I felt a nice stream of air blow in my face. Bingo...

1) The tear looks to be about 1/4 or 1/2 inch on the sidewall. What could've possibly caused that? I can't figure out what's most probable...defect, road hazard, or random slashing. Thing is, the hole leaks air so quickly that I'd think the TPMS would've gone off shortly after the damage took place. Grabbed groceries with it last night and when I was unloading the trunk I didn't notice any hissing. And it hisses loud when there's any air in the tire, as I found out when filling the tire tonight.

2) Only drove a conservative 5000 miles on the car/tires, plenty of tread left. When I replace the bad tire, do I need to replace any others?

3) Any chance of having to re-align the rear since I will have driven approximately 5-10 miles on a flat RFT?

Sorry for the lame newb questions, I just wanted to make sure I'd cover all aspects if possible. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0