Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > REVIEW: Forgestar F05's on BSM E92 from **********s.com

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Danny335
Rep
Drives: slow

REVIEW: Forgestar F05's on BSM E92 from **********s.com

Saw this on E46fanatics thought it would be a bit more helpful over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhite1015 View Post
So i finally decided to get my old girl some new shoes... i wanted to get something that was strong aka not manufactured in china using gravity casting... but i didn't want to spend the money for BBS Ch's or forged rims. So i found Forgestar, read up about them and their manufacturing process which is posted as follower:

(Taken from forgestars website)
Forgestar's flowforming process is a unique solution to a common problem - how to make a wheel both light and strong.

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.

Seeing that this is a similar process that BBS uses I decided to go with them.

I then contacted Mike at **********s.com. Link to the product: http://www.**********s.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=100-001 He was very helpful in picking out what size, offset and color I would be selecting as these rims are made to order and not just stacked up sitting in a warehouse. I told him i wanted it flush but not to rub and that i had my fenders rolled and dropped. He told me what to order and I listened (glad i did).

Sorry about the iphone pics... they are a little better then regular since its the new 3GS but ill still take some better ones this weekend

Shipping and packaging: The rims were very nicely boxed up and arrived in perfect condition took about 5 business days from when they shipped (Cali to NY) very fast for economy in my mind.

Finish: So i decided to go with the two tone F05's. These have a silver face and lip but all the sides, hardware and barrel are painted black. Lets just say they it came out PERFECT! No lumps or imperfections, just crisp lines, and a great looking finish.

Fitment: Mike was dead on in selecting an offset for the 19x10 rears. They just fit with no rub what-so-ever! The guy at the shop didnt think they would fit, and wanted to mount one rim first to check i told him no need as these were built for my car, and an offset was selected based on my mods. Well sure enough they fit great no spacers needed.

Overall: Im very happy with everything, from the quality of the wheels to Mike over at **********s putting up with me asking a million and one questions. Great customer service! A+++!!! I will update with some technical info after i put miles on them.

LINK TO PRODUCT: http://www.**********s.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=100-001

he also posted some new pics today :

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

I wonder what offsets he went with, the rears are dished!

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Danny335
Rep
Drives: slow

from **********s website :

F05 Wheels in Black & Brushed w/ Two-tone finish on E92 335xi
Front: 19x8.5 +35 offset
Rear: 19x10 +37 offset

Last edited by Danny335; 07-01-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0