07-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
M3 DCT - Lag Problem

Has anyone had any kind of DCT software update done to their M3 recently in order to resolve the lag issue?? Someone recently told me there was a puma software update dated around June 11th that should resolve the problem. I rang my dealer yesterday to book my car in for this latest software update but they said the last update was around March time. Just wanted to make sure this is indeed the latest update or if there is an even later one?? In normal drive (D2) the lag is not only embarrassing but i think verging on dangerous. Therefore my car is definitely in need of any software update thats available since its manufacture (end of 2008).
      07-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
PUMA is a US thing.
The latest software call ISTA/P is supposed to help but not cure this issue.

Reprogram w. current ISTA/P
– Target integration E89x-09-03-510, or higher

I'm just wondering if this really is fault with the car. With the E46 smg in auto mode on A1 would take forever to change gears so you used A5 - is the lag still there in D5? I've driven over half a dozen DCT cars and not felt this lag. (BTW not saying there isn't a lag just wondering if the other modes cure it?)

I guess the 09-03 means march this year?

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Wasnt aware that puma was just a US thing - assumed it related to UK??? Im not in the least bit technical so dont understand it all anyway - i just drive the bloody things - but prefer it if they drive properly!! I drive in S5 all the time which admittedly doesnt highlight the lag issue much if at all. But occasionally when i am in default D2 auto setting the lag issue is very much apparent. But its not just my car - ive driven two friends cars each with DCT and both are the same as mine and i even drove a car off the forecourt today at Sytners and it was equally apparent. Its at its worse when you are doing say a 3-point turn in the road, going from drive to reverse etc - the lag is literally 2 to 3 seconds before engaging - hence why i say its embarrassing and could be dangerous if youre trying to do a quick turn with traffic approaching either direction!! Ive had 2 E46 M3's and 2 E46 M3 CSL's and i dont recall this being anywhere near as big an issue???
      07-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 DCT

DCT is an issue for me too, it does get rather embarrassing cos to other people who doesnt know its an auto box probably thinks you can't drive for shit. when the gear change is slow to respond sometimes you instinctively put more pressure on the gas so when the gear does eventually change you will suddenly be powered forward which is defo dangerous! had enough of it and will b calling the dealer tomoro to ask about the update....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Thand God I bought the manual which I love
      07-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
Thand God I bought the manual which I love
Ive had both and have to say apart from the lag its pretty much perfect for me and wouldnt go back to a manual. I just hope they can resolve the lag issue otherwise i may be getting out of this one sooner than i thought!!
      07-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm defo getting the lag issue as well, there is a SIB (service bulletin) for the US but i'm taking this or emailing it to the dealer this week to get it booked in, its bloody dangerous and if they refuse to update it, i'll ask for it in writing just in case i do have an accident down the line....

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B280708g.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I'm defo getting the lag issue as well, there is a SIB (service bulletin) for the US but i'm taking this or emailing it to the dealer this week to get it booked in, its bloody dangerous and if they refuse to update it, i'll ask for it in writing just in case i do have an accident down the line....

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B280708g.htm
Thanks for that info, that will come handy actually. please let people know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
PUMA is a US thing.
The latest software call ISTA/P is supposed to help but not cure this issue.

Reprogram w. current ISTA/P
– Target integration E89x-09-03-510, or higher

I'm just wondering if this really is fault with the car. With the E46 smg in auto mode on A1 would take forever to change gears so you used A5 - is the lag still there in D5? I've driven over half a dozen DCT cars and not felt this lag. (BTW not saying there isn't a lag just wondering if the other modes cure it?)

I guess the 09-03 means march this year?

Neil.
PUMA is a UK thing as well, my dealer has already quoted me this. My car is going in next Friday for ignored down shift request and lag issue. I have printed all the stuff out and called service to advise about SIB and roundtable. I will be asking for latest software for ISTA/P. Also, the SIB does say that this software 'significantly improves the throttle response' and 'in order to completely eliminate the delay sensation, as described above, the customer needs to operate the M dct in the manual mode'

The software is also available under warranty according to the SIB.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
PUMA is a UK thing as well, my dealer has already quoted me this. My car is going in next Friday for ignored down shift request and lag issue. I have printed all the stuff out and called service to advise about SIB and roundtable. I will be asking for latest software for ISTA/P. Also, the SIB does say that this software 'significantly improves the throttle response' and 'in order to completely eliminate the delay sensation, as described above, the customer needs to operate the M dct in the manual mode'

The software is also available under warranty according to the SIB.
Are you taking it to Stephen James? Let me know how you get on as I am desperate to have the 'lag' fixed
      07-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Are you taking it to Stephen James? Let me know how you get on as I am desperate to have the 'lag' fixed
yes mate, i spoke to them and they seemed quite relaxed about it like they had loads of calls. To be honest though i think they are quite fickle, it went in for ignored downshift request before and they said nothing was done, yet when i got it back it was perfect. I guess they are saying what bmwag tell them to say. We shall see next Friday it both the issues are fixed.

But like yourself and as bmwbailey seems to be finding out, this lag issue is so frustrating and as mentioned before it looks like you cant drive for sh*t. We can only hope its fixed for good and not just temporary like previously.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
i really would like to experience this to see how bad it is but I've tried quite a few times.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Ive had both and have to say apart from the lag its pretty much perfect for me and wouldnt go back to a manual. I just hope they can resolve the lag issue otherwise i may be getting out of this one sooner than i thought!!
Nooooooooooooooooo don't sell it mate ,its a great car ,can't comment on the gearbox though as not driven one but I nearly did go for the dct as I am an auto Guy really but I do like the manual on mine much better than when I had my old 6 pots they were a pain with the manual .
      07-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
This is all getting quite interesting now - i will be very keen to hear how Phoenix gets on and what exactly the dealership do to his car etc. My dealer (Sytner) didnt seem very clued up to me hence why i cancelled the booking for my car to go in - i'd rather wait for an M3 DCT owner to have their car sorted and then go to same dealer and ask them to fix mine.
On a side note but still on topic - i was driving my car pretty hard today - was in S5 with M button on etc and i noticed that toward the end of my journey it wasnt changing up very quickly - it was blipping down as normal but wasnt upshifting very quick - so i think there could be even more amiss here than originally thought.
      07-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
This is all getting quite interesting now - i will be very keen to hear how Phoenix gets on and what exactly the dealership do to his car etc. My dealer (Sytner) didnt seem very clued up to me hence why i cancelled the booking for my car to go in - i'd rather wait for an M3 DCT owner to have their car sorted and then go to same dealer and ask them to fix mine.
You could always try giving Darren a call (the guy who sorted Wafik out). I PM'd him a couple of weeks ago (before the lastest SIB update), and he wasn't aware of any fixes. But presumably now, armed with the latest SIB info linked to earlier in this post, he should at least be able to confirm this 'fix' is available here in blighty.
      07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
bailey, which sytner do you use?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
wtf ? bailey has been banned in the last 10 minutes? ! !!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Not sure why? anyone knows what happened?
      07-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Guys, read all the threads in the main/general section. The latest DCT software is a huge improvement. The lag is almost entirely gone. If you have the DCT get it, period.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #20
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

hello people, booked my car in for the dct update on wednesday, will let you guys know if ther are any improvements!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bape View Post
hello people, booked my car in for the dct update on wednesday, will let you guys know if ther are any improvements!
I've got an appointment for Wednesday as well. I am always able to easily replicate the lag, so I should be able to tell if this helps...fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Do not seem that there is a cure from the US forums even after updates.