Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Changed Tire Pressure Monitors, '08 E90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
norwesterman
Rep
Drives: 335 08/SGry/prem/sport/cold/ca

Changed Tire Pressure Monitors, '08 E90

Sorry if this has already been covered, but did a search and only found answer to opposite of my problem.

Have 2008 335 SPORT and two sets wheels/tires for summer/winter. These are the "pressure" type, not rotation that I had in my '06. We switched the TPM's from one set to other on first crossover, but that meant re-mounting 8 wheels. To drop this to 0, I got four more TPM's and mounted them last time to my summer wheels/tires (factory wheels/tires).

Of course now, having switched back to the big summer tires with the new TPM's in them, I am getting the TPM indicator light on the dash, and if I try to reset, it won't let me, but instead reports "low pressure".

I understand that in the '08 model, the car can't automatically "learn" the new sensors (I think I heard in 2008 only the 6 has this feature), but that I have to take it to the dealer to teach it to use the new TPM's in the wheels; my shop guy says he doesn't have the "machine" and that I have to go to dealer.

Can you let me know:
1) How long should it take the dealer to "teach" it to use the new sensors, and an idea of what they should charge for this?
2) Once we teach it to use the "summer" sensors, will I have to have this done again when I switch back to the winter wheels, or is there a way to have the car be able to remember 2 different sets of TPM's?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0