E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First detail on my E92: Advice?

06-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
ohaywood
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
First detail on my E92: Advice?

Alright so I bought this car with 18k miles on it and have no clue how it was treated before I owned it, although it looks like its new. I've had it for around a month and have not detailed it yet. I'm going to do it today for Big SoCal tomorrow. The paint is a little rough and there are swirl marks and such all over the car (its Jet Black ). I've detailed lots of cars with my bud but not sure how I should go about this one since its the first I've done on this car.

Products:

Meguiars clay bar, quick detailer
SmartWax One
Microfiber towels, obviously

Don't have any sealant or anything but the Smart One acts as polish and wax. Any quick tips?
      06-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
av8thor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Read the detailing 101 Sticky at the top pf the page. Full of good information.

I have Saddle and use Zaino Leather in a Bottle. Does a great job and smells great too.

I started out with Zaino for a sealant. I find it VERY labor intensive, and am thinkning about switching to JetSeal for the next major detail.

Personally, I would avoid all in one products that claim to polish and wax. Look around the Detail subforum for lots of insight into polishing products and techniques.

Good Luck. If you enjoy it, detailing is a very fulfilling hobby.
P. J. O'Rourke)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Good luck detailing Jet Black without any real polishes.

I just read a little on Smartwax and it reminds me of a lot of the All-In-One products. It may do well for you and leave a nice shine, but more than likely the resins just fill imperfections.