Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > big wheels = no drop?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Black Leopard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Question big wheels = no drop?

Hey everyone,

First of all, I don't know much about wheels and tires so don't hate and please explain things for me

So I'm thinking about getting a new set of wheels and tires, moving away from the runflats that I have on my style 162 wheels. Right now I have 18" wheels and factory suspension. If I were to get 19" or even 20" wheels would it make it less necessary to get a drop?

Also, If I go for a bigger wheel diameter do I need to do anything special to avoid rubbing or anything?

Sorry for so many questions but can I go the cheap route and put regular tires on my rims which have rfts right now?

Thanks,
Leopard

EDIT: I have 08 E90 if that makes any difference
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
ChrisTKHarris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46

No a drop isn't NECESSARY, but it does make the car look much better. The optical illusion makes the car to appear raised (even with proper wheel/tire sizing to maintain the same overall rolling diameter).

The diameter isn't really the problem as long as you have proper tire sizing. It's the OFFSET that can cause you to rub the inside of the fenders either at full-lock or under compression. I'm assuming you're going with a staggered setup with most likely an 8.5" 35mm front and a 9.5" rear with a 30mm or a 10" rear with 30mm. Also rolling the rear fenders will yield an additional 5mm of clearance if you were looking to run some more aggressive offsets or are looking to lower the car aggressively.

When I finally upgrade to an E90 with new wheels I will for sure be ditching those atrocious runflats for something better like some Nitto NT-05s or Dunlop Direzza Z1s.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Generally when you get new wheels you try to maintain the same diameter of the tire by cutting into the tire space.... so... it won't solve your drop problem too much, maybe a little.... I guess optical illusion will help.... But I'm on 20's, and slammed, and loving it
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

20's + no drop makes the car look higher, not lower
      06-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Black Leopard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

Any opinions on just putting regular tires on the 162 rims I have after taking off the rfts, is this a decent alternative?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
ChrisTKHarris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leopard View Post
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

Any opinions on just putting regular tires on the 162 rims I have after taking off the rfts, is this a decent alternative?
Yes that's a good option as well.

Appreciate 0