BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos what are your thoughts on a Porsche Cayenne S

06-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

what are your thoughts on a Porsche Cayenne S

Thinking of adding a certified pre-owned SUV to the garage

does anyone have real world experience with a 2006 Cayenne S?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I have a 2004 Cayenne S which I purchased new. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I currently have almost 82,000 miles on it. I have actually been thinking about it recently as it is almost time for a replacement. I mentioned it in another thread, but I am afraid anything else will be a disappointment.

It drives very nice, I have active suspension, and in comfort mode its firm but very comfortable. My Cayenne has been stored outside since 2005, washed exclusively in a car wash and still looks brand new, nobody can believe it when I tell them the age or the mileage. The interior is completely free of squeaks and rattles, and the materials have held up incredibly well (I do take good care of it, but it is my tow vehicle, snow board vehicle, and mountain bike hauler).

None of the electrics have given me any trouble since the car was less then a year old, at that time in required a couple of window regulator switches, but that is it.

Now for the bad. The only bad thing about it is the cost of maintenance, it doesn't require much, and it doesn't require it often, but when it does it is a bit expensive.

There are two things stopping me from getting a Cayenne to replace my Cayenne.

First, I don't want to wait for the 2011 model, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money (I would get a Turbo this time) and spend another 5 years (I like to keep my SUVs for 80,000 miles +-) in the same interior.

The Second reason is that my wife will be the primary driver of the next SUV, and she wants something a bit larger then the Cayenne (I happen to think the Cayenne is the perfect size)....that and she would absolutely destroy the 21" wheels with low profile tires. She has curbed every wheel on the 335 I got for her.

Anyway, if you specific Cayenne info, I have saved every receipt for everything from day one.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
LI E90
Colonel
Rep

wow that is some endorsement.

my wife wants a cayenne I like the X5..

my local Porsche dealer has a CPO 2006 Cayenne S with 29000 miles loaded for $29000
the best I can find on a 2007 X5( Iwant E70 or nothing) is $38000

with the mortgage, babies day care etc I need to be on a tight car budget.

I was never into the Cayenne, everyone jokes if you are going to get a Porsche get a "REAL" Porsche, but I guess I need to give it some consideration
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

The only things on the interior that don't feel right to me are the dial for the sunroof, it is shared with the Toureg and it feels like it, and the little map lights feel a little bit cheap to the touch. Other then that the window switches and all the other buttons and things that you touch make the 335 feel like a much cheaper car.

Definitely go test drive it, I would be surprised if anyone didn't like it from behind the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I have a 2004 Cayenne S which I purchased new. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I currently have almost 82,000 miles on it. I have actually been thinking about it recently as it is almost time for a replacement. I mentioned it in another thread, but I am afraid anything else will be a disappointment.

It drives very nice, I have active suspension, and in comfort mode its firm but very comfortable. My Cayenne has been stored outside since 2005, washed exclusively in a car wash and still looks brand new, nobody can believe it when I tell them the age or the mileage. The interior is completely free of squeaks and rattles, and the materials have held up incredibly well (I do take good care of it, but it is my tow vehicle, snow board vehicle, and mountain bike hauler).

None of the electrics have given me any trouble since the car was less then a year old, at that time in required a couple of window regulator switches, but that is it.

Now for the bad. The only bad thing about it is the cost of maintenance, it doesn't require much, and it doesn't require it often, but when it does it is a bit expensive.

There are two things stopping me from getting a Cayenne to replace my Cayenne.

First, I don't want to wait for the 2011 model, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money (I would get a Turbo this time) and spend another 5 years (I like to keep my SUVs for 80,000 miles +-) in the same interior.

The Second reason is that my wife will be the primary driver of the next SUV, and she wants something a bit larger then the Cayenne (I happen to think the Cayenne is the perfect size)....that and she would absolutely destroy the 21" wheels with low profile tires. She has curbed every wheel on the 335 I got for her.

Anyway, if you specific Cayenne info, I have saved every receipt for everything from day one.
Damn, looks like you got the perfect car Theres always a few cars that have everything go wrong with them, and a few that have nothing wrong ever, looks like you got the latter. As for the wife wanting a bigger SUV, why? What does she need bigger for? I'm hoping she transports massive amounts of materials in the car, and she doesn't want a bigger SUV so that she can drive around by herself in.

OP, my opinion on the Cayenne is that its an extremely solid car, works well off-road and on-road, and has a certain level of appeal to it as well. But you also have to beware hippies and communists keying your car because they think its the root of all evil.
      06-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
Damn, looks like you got the perfect car Theres always a few cars that have everything go wrong with them, and a few that have nothing wrong ever, looks like you got the latter. As for the wife wanting a bigger SUV, why? What does she need bigger for? I'm hoping she transports massive amounts of materials in the car, and she doesn't want a bigger SUV so that she can drive around by herself in.

OP, my opinion on the Cayenne is that its an extremely solid car, works well off-road and on-road, and has a certain level of appeal to it as well. But you also have to beware hippies and communists keying your car because they think its the root of all evil.
She would like to have a third row, I think third rows are a waste, but not worth an argument (must pick battles wisely). We are planning on buying a cabin in Tahoe in the next year or so (depending on the market), and it is possible that a third row could be handy if we want to go somewhere with our guests….kinda lame I know.

We will get an X5 Diesel as soon as they do the mid-cycle refresh. Not a huge truck, but third row is there, and good fuel economy will be nice (200 miles from home to Tahoe).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
LI E90
Colonel
Rep

the original maintance plan was 4 year 50k?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
the original maintance plan was 4 year 50k?
Yes, 4/50

Scheduled maintenance is approx. every 20,000 miles, I did oil changes every 10,000.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
I was never into the Cayenne, everyone jokes if you are going to get a Porsche get a "REAL" Porsche, but I guess I need to give it some consideration
The Pepper is a great choice for a good SUV that's solid and decent to drive. Of course it's not a 911; it was never meant to be. If you were going to get a decent SUV, why would you consider a sports car. Forget what "everyone" says, whoever the hell they are. Go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

well,i know a guy that drove S and now drives new GTS,so i guess that means car is very good!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

if you're gonna get another cayenne, get at least a GTS. actually if you're going to get a cayenne period, get a GTS or turbo. otherwise its just a waste and a Q7 is almost the same as a V6 or S model.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_mcfly View Post
if you're gonna get another cayenne, get at least a GTS. actually if you're going to get a cayenne period, get a GTS or turbo. otherwise its just a waste and a Q7 is almost the same as a V6 or S model.
I think thats sort of like saying Sprite and Water look almost the same, so you should just get water, but I want Sprite. Some people want the Cayenne and don't have the money to get a GTS or higher, thus the lower models in the range.
      06-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Thinking of adding a certified pre-owned SUV to the garage

does anyone have real world experience with a 2006 Cayenne S?
I owned two Cayennes, both S models, one was steel sprung and the other air sprung. I would rate the steel suspension car, too hard and rides too high with too much air between wheels and bodywork. The air suspension one was truly a great drive and with the 3 suspension settings an ideal settings for the road and driving style you needed was only a switch flick away.

I noticed you are also considering the X5, it another great car but it doesn't offer the comfort of the Porsche or the composure in corners.

Another one worth looking at is the new Q5, I've driven it in 3.0TDI form and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the driving experience, much better than usual Audi and even better than either the Cayenne or X6 that my brother owns. It's also remarkably quick, less than 7 sec to 62mph.

Both if you heart is on either the P car or the X5 then chose the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

really good thread
coz i am looking to purchas a used cayenne or a X5d as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
DesertCoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

As hard as it is for me acknowledge the Cayenne is actually a good car. It feels light even though it weighs more than two tonnes. They are reliable and have that Porsche Quality feel to it. One of my friends has the new GTS and it has bee running trouble free for the 15,000 miles he has it.
The only reason I wouldn't buy one is because it is way to close the VW Toureg, Range Rovers can be gotten quite cheaply used, the Audi Q7 also is good and has the third row.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
really good thread
coz i am looking to purchas a used cayenne or a X5d as well!
Have you done any test driving? What are your thoughts, pros and cons of each for you?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Have you done any test driving? What are your thoughts, pros and cons of each for you?
i have done a few test driving....
but not the porsche cayenne S *yet*

i only test drove the X5D , X5 3.5, 4.8...ML320 Blue tech
the ML D is the worse powerbrand SUV i ever driven.....
it has no low end TOQ at all!!! but really comfortable with the suspension setup....
another thing that i dislike about the ML is the space inside the suv.....i have 5 adults(each of them are 5.8-6" and 150-200lbs) including myself....the car felt like really really damn small...
but the X5D is different story, good power...good TOQ..(sound like a V8 when i punch the gas)..and much more room compare to the ML (same amount of the ppl sitting inside...but still got tons of leg rooms and space btw)
i cant wait to test drive the Q7 and the porsche cayenne.....
I wanted to buy a used cayenne S or a cayenne turbo .....but i heard lots of bad stuff saying the maintenance for the porsche is sth u have to look at and beware...so i am worry =( but i have alz wanted a porsche cayenne real bad=(
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The new Cayman S with the limited slip diff option should be pretty epic.

edit -nvm i thought this was about the cayman not the cayenne

Last edited by FStop7; 06-07-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
The Q7 isn't as sporty as the other you have mentioned, that was why I never included it is my comments earlier. Also based on the size of everyone using the car I am not at all sure that even the Q5 would suit but I still think you need a test drive because I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the driving experience.

If sportiness isn't number one on your list then definitely look at the Q7 because it's got the best interior and when fitted with the 4.2TDI is a real rocket, think 130i performance.

0-200km/h in 25s is bloody quick for a big diesel anything never mind one weighing well over 2 ton.

Oh, and another thing about the Cayenne, I spent a day at Porsche's driving centre at Silverstone and got an exciting passenger run in a Cayenne D around the track chasing after the Caymans and shock horror in the right hands the big girl sat on their tail surprisingly well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #20
750_ooomph
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 730i

Honestly the Porsche Cayenne and the BMW X5 are the only SUVs that handle really good. I bought the Cayenne S because I wanted something different but most of my relatives said I just wanted a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
I think thats sort of like saying Sprite and Water look almost the same, so you should just get water, but I want Sprite.
yeah but see i wasnt referring to the looks, i was actually referring to how they drive/perform/etc

so basically, sprite and water dont taste the same
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #22
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_mcfly View Post
yeah but see i wasnt referring to the looks, i was actually referring to how they drive/perform/etc

so basically, sprite and water dont taste the same
ahh i see, yes, in that aspect you are right