E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > help--rattle in the rear seat

08-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
HURST280
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

help--rattle in the rear seat

I have 5000 Miles on the car and overnight the passenger side rear seat back (the seats fold down) is rattling as I drive. If I fold the seat down, the noise is gone, so I am thinking it is a malfunction with the latch mechanism. The seat back seems tight when in normal postion, but it is rattles. Anyone have this problem, or know what is going on?

Thanks, HURST280
      08-11-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Beefy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 330d Trotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURST280
I have 5000 Miles on the car and overnight the passenger side rear seat back (the seats fold down) is rattling as I drive. If I fold the seat down, the noise is gone, so I am thinking it is a malfunction with the latch mechanism. The seat back seems tight when in normal postion, but it is rattles. Anyone have this problem, or know what is going on?

Thanks, HURST280
Same here, it is exactly the same as mine I've this problem since I picked the car and am still tackling it:mad:
But one thing I can tell you is that there are no screws or bolts only two clips holding the seat in. Pull directly up from under each side to unclip the seat. I've checked the latches/mechanism on mine, they are fine.
Good luck
Beefy
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
HURST280
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

solution to rattle/pop/click!!!

I found the cause of the problem and completely stopped the annoying rattle coming from the back seat. I believe that the root cause was the leather conditioner that I used on the seat...it also saturated the three bottom hinge/mounting points at the bottom of the seat. This chemical caused the hinges to bind with the slight deformation of the unibody frame as the car encounters uneven roadway.

I tried several things before all the noise was gone so you may want to try them one at a time to see which one works for you:

1. use WD-40 on the hinge points. This lubricates the bushings. To do this you may have to remove the lower seat cushion (by simply pulling up sharply at the front of the cushion on the left and right side—where a passengers knees would normally be) and/or the side cushions --between the door and the seat backs ( these are removed to pulling the top of the cushion, under the seat belt, toward the front of the car, then remove the cushion by lifting it up toward the roof. Once these cushions are removed carefully spray lubricant on the corners and middle hinge points. Go for a test drive.
2. If the light oil did not work then you may have to loosen the two torx T-50 bolts that hold the left and right side of the seat hinge points in place. Once loosened slide the seat-back to the left or right such that the bushings are now in different positions and hopefully tighter. Go for a test drive and if you have seats that open to the trunk, then open/close the seat-backs to make sure the latch still catches the seat properly.

*one tip, when reinstalling the side cushions remove the white plastic clasp still lodged in the car and reattach it to the top of the side cushions, then install the cushions .

I have pictures of the whole process if needed.

Good luck.