BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board tile

05-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

tile

Has anyone ever laid floor tile before? I have never attempted, but I'm about to jump into the world of DIY. I have read a little and asked a few question, and I am considering attending the home depot class. I had my renters move out, and since they destroyed the carpet I figured this is the perfect time to replace it all will tile. I went down to Mexico and picked up some nice tile at a great price and I'd like to hear any DIY stories that might help me in my adventure.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
It's not that hard but you definitely need some practice before doing it in your own home. You also need to have the right tool and proper rotary saw/ blade for cutting the tiles.

Home Depot used to have free DYI classes on Sunday mornings. Not sure if they still do w/ this crappy economy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
in5ane_3
Lieutenant General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah I've laid the tile down at our patio and garage and it was a pretty easy job. Be prepared to drain yourself of energy though, you'll be sore and your back will hurt.

Make sure you're comfortable using the cutting board for tiles though and use goggles. If you're a fairly handy person you'll be able to do it, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
AjzRide
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Mustang 351w

If it is just a big square room you will have no problems, if you have to cut alot of corners, it will be very time consuming. Make sure not to get too much thinset, or it will fill up all the grooves for your groute. Most importantly, rent or a buy a good tile saw, don't try to use the little $69 POS they sell. It will jam like crazy and sprays water everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Make sure you buy a tile saw (also known as a wet saw), use the right blade for the type of tile you are cutting (porcelain and stone use different blades) and always use spacers, but don't forget to remove them prior to grouting.

Kneepads aren't just for whores.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Your MOSt IMPORTANT tile is that first one. If you don't have it square to the room, EVERYTHING will be off.

I've done several DIY on homes (mine, dad's, rentals) and have learned over the years that
a) I'd probably let somebody else do it now, I'm 42 and my back hurts thinking of it
b) if you go DIY, rent the saw, use it the first day to do ALL the cutting and lay the tile out, including the spacers, then pick it up as you lay the thinset. Have a few extra spacers handy to wipe the extra out of the seams so you can get grout it.
c) wait at least a day before grouting, even though your back will scream more on that third day.

You need to lay a row in both directions so you can determine initial placement that will provide the best optical viewing, and where you will have to make the most cuts. Be smart with the cuts, try to save peices to use as the splash on the wall.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

Thanks for the tips guys. I went to that home depot class today and laid a few tiles, so I kind of know what I gott myself into.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Do they make you lay them on the ground, or up on a nice height table? Floor work is a whole 'nother bag!
Appreciate 0