BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Interlagos Blue M3

Anybody tracked with PCA?

Just wondering if anybody ran with the PCA guys and how they liked it. It'll be my first time running with the PCA and dont want to be a guy who's not suppose to be there...lol.. I dont know if I said that right but I've heard some stories that PCA has some... attitudes towards BMW??? dunno if that sounds right either. Anyways if I do run I'll be running with PCA for couple events since it's so close to my house and wanted to know some information. Thanks~!

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The people who have "attitudes" toward people driving a specific type of car at the track are usually beginners who also happen to be idiots. (Not saying beginners are idiots before someone tries to flame me on this). The more experienced folks will only appericiate your M as long as you don't act like a beginner who also happens to be an idiot. So, if you are cool and don't act out, I doubt that anyone will give you any trouble, and if a few idiots give you a hard time, just ignore them...
      05-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Yeah, I've run with my local PCA. Awesome car enthusiasts just like you'll find in the BMWCCA.

I drove a Focus at a PCA event. I got lots of looks and good spirited jokes.

do it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I recently ran with PCA, Wilderness Chapter at VIR and found them to be first rate. The event was run in the rain and fog, and they did a great job in handling the situation. No problem vis vis BMW.

I will be running with PCA First Settlers at VIR this week end. I do not anticipate any problems. If you are going to VIR this week end, look for me. I will be in the White Run Group, track prepared white 525i BMW number 1.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

In my experience with most of the major car clubs in texas, PCA puts the most rigor into their instructor training programs, student evaluation, and student curriculum. It's a great place to learn, but lacking the freedom some students crave (i.e. a group of folks to "race" with).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Most PCA chapters have been doing DEs for a long time, you should proceed without hesitation. I've tracked with 4 PCA clubs and they were all good, safe events with excellent instruction.

I experienced very little attitude. At any given track, everyone appreciates the underdog, like Miata or 944 drivers who can out-hustle a GT3 or Z06.

Of course, everyone bags on Vette drivers no matter the club, it's just an international rule.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Update to First Settler PCA at VIR. Just completed a three day event with them at VIR and am happy to report, all was first rate. They had a LOT of cars in each class which made for hit and miss traffic here and there, but all in all, the run group flowed smoothly. My class had many passing zones with a point, so trains did not happen.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
jajr1098s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 Sold - never forgotten

PCA

Which chapter are you running with? I have run with 3 diff. PCA clubs. 2 were just Aces to deal with and one group, the one I am a member of (which means nothing) were CLOWNS. It was all fun and games till I started passing them one by one. Not that it's a race, but I got much enjoyment from passing guys who were making fun of the BMW from the first driver's meeting in the am. Little by little, people were coming up and asking how I liked the car and commented on how well it was going, but most of them were previous M owners. The rest of the snobs were just that.
      05-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The people who have "attitudes" toward people driving a specific type of car at the track are usually beginners who also happen to be idiots. (Not saying beginners are idiots before someone tries to flame me on this). The more experienced folks will only appericiate your M as long as you don't act like a beginner who also happens to be an idiot. So, if you are cool and don't act out, I doubt that anyone will give you any trouble, and if a few idiots give you a hard time, just ignore them...
+1

Just want to add, look out for oil droppings and dont follow too closely. I've been to three PCA events and each time a ridiculous amount of oil was dropped. Not sure if its because of old POS cars or the drivers. There tends to be many inexperienced and thusly cocky drivers in PCA, so just give them space.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
jajr1098s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
+1

Just want to add, look out for oil droppings and dont follow too closely. I've been to three PCA events and each time a ridiculous amount of oil was dropped. Not sure if its because of old POS cars or the drivers. There tends to be many inexperienced and thusly cocky drivers in PCA, so just give them space.
Sorry. Off topic. But where you at NJMP this past week with a T1 car?
      05-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Interlagos Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajr1098s View Post
Which chapter are you running with? I have run with 3 diff. PCA clubs. 2 were just Aces to deal with and one group, the one I am a member of (which means nothing) were CLOWNS. It was all fun and games till I started passing them one by one. Not that it's a race, but I got much enjoyment from passing guys who were making fun of the BMW from the first driver's meeting in the am. Little by little, people were coming up and asking how I liked the car and commented on how well it was going, but most of them were previous M owners. The rest of the snobs were just that.
I'm trying to run with RTR PCA and NNJR PCA since they have lots of events at NJMP. How did you like these two?

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Jar - nope. Havent tracked my M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
jajr1098s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallycoolies View Post
I'm trying to run with RTR PCA and NNJR PCA since they have lots of events at NJMP. How did you like these two?
I've heard good things about RTR. NNJR I am a member of so you know what i said about that before!
      05-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

I have only joined two PCA clubs - Wilderness and First Settlers. Both were at VIR, and both were run very well. I found these two clubs every bit as friendly and courteous as BMW clubs. And, no oil on the track that I observed, however, there were drivers in my run group (Advance) who were new to VIR, and several offs resulted, which were not to be unexpected. I was a little surprised that "advance" drivers would have that much difficulty. The lesser experienced run groups also had a few issues. The clubs had a two off rule, but I do not think it had to be or was used.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0