BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What is a decent "beginner" road bike?

05-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

What is a decent "beginner" road bike?

Any bicyclists out there that can give advice on what to look for when shopping for a first road bike?

I've never ridden a road bike before, only bmx and mountain bikes. Any big difference? How much should I spend on my first bike?

Looking to pick this up as a summer activity.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Consider used. Lots of sub $1k bikes tend to really short you on component selection. This might sound weird, but consider spending some money on a professional fitting. A properly fitted road bike is better than all the fancy components on a poorly fit bike.

Once you know the size that you need, you should have a fairly easy time finding something to fit. Do you want to do centuries, crits, recreational rides, or a little of each?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

ninja 250
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Consider used. Lots of sub $1k bikes tend to really short you on component selection. This might sound weird, but consider spending some money on a professional fitting. A properly fitted road bike is better than all the fancy components on a poorly fit bike.

Once you know the size that you need, you should have a fairly easy time finding something to fit. Do you want to do centuries, crits, recreational rides, or a little of each?
2X. Buy used and inexpensive initially or better yet borrow if possible. Your local shop might even have rentals and some initial advice on fit. It will take you a while to find what you like and don't like in terms of bike position, gear range, and type of rides you do. Once you have a good feel for what you want then go out and spend the money.

Lots of different ways to go and like mtn bikes, you can go crazy expensive over a roady with materials, design, setup, .....Be patient and do some research.
      05-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:

Good advice. Fit is extremely important.

A few more thoughts. Depending on the topography, you may want a triple crankset for the hills. Also, consider frame material. Aluminum is very common in the low to mid-price range. Thick framed aluminum road bikes can ride harshly but the better frames have thinner tubes and some even have carbon forks and rear stays that help the ride.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Do you ride PCH often? I'm always going through Laguna Beach or south to San Clemente. Been busy for the past few weeks and haven't made it out there. See you on the road!
Yeah, fairly often, but I live right by Aliso Woods, so I ride off road more often. I'd like to start getting more road miles in though.

For the OP, if you can find a bike you like with compact gearing, that can be good for the hills too. Conventional gearing is traditionally 39/53t on the front, while compact is 34/50t and works nearly as well as a triple ring setup and results in a little less chain cross, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
clickclickboom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rust Bucket

Save some money. Buy a leftover or lightly used.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
UCSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05

used R6...

Current: G05
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
are you looking for geared, single gear, or fixed gear?

are you looking to build one or are you looking to buy a complete set / +modify to your liking?

what kind of frame are you looking for? there's buncha grades of aluminum and then theres steel.

when comparing bmx bikes to a road bike, there's a huge difference in geometry. i ride a bmx bike as my daily and my fixy for fun... you feel a huge loss with more chain, plus you run into more problems with more gears (i have pretty bad luck with bikes)

i've spent around 1.5k on my fixed gear. around 650-700 with an add on brake+lever, then i bought new set of wheels with tires for like 400, got new pedals/cages/straps for another 150, got a new brake lever for i think 30, and then lastly got a new saddle for 200.

i'm thinking of doing another build by starting off fresh with a leader aluminum fixed gear frame

stuff adds up, but if you enjoy it--it shouldn't matter too much

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSBMW View Post
used R6...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335
ninja 250
this is about road bicycles, guys

i ride a gsxr600 anyway. street bikes are not new to me. i'm trying to use my legs instead of an engine
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you want to do centuries, crits, recreational rides, or a little of each?
I'm just looking to do recreational riding for now. Hoping to get a few buddies into the hobby with me

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
I'm just looking to do recreational riding for now. Hoping to get a few buddies into the hobby with me

Thanks for the advice everyone.
nice. some friends and i picked up biking about a year ago... go through some pretty good bike/scenic routes. pretty fun and you get a good workout

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep

i ended up buying a Trek 1.2

will post pictures later today
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
TK-421