BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Nasal Cauterization. Need some help/advice.

05-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Nasal Cauterization. Need some help/advice.

Posted this on another forum posting it here too hoping to get some helpful tips.

So just had my nose cauterized by my doctor today. Both nostrils were done. It was a chemical cauterization using Silver Nitrate. Had it done, because of some frequent nose bleeds(no I don't do cocaine). Doctor told me not to blow my nose out of my right nostril for two weeks because he cauterized it somewhat heavily and try not to with my left nostril. My dilemma is I am in the height of allergy season right now and just wiping my nose is just aggravating.

Anything I can do to speed up the healing process so I can blowing my effing nose?!?

Anyone else ever have a nasal cauterization done? What was your experience like?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

I had it done for the same reason, it burnt like hell and made my nose itch to no end. I don't think there was anything that could be done to make it heal faster.

You could try blowing very lightly like breathing hard, or just keep your head tilted back so it doesnt run out?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
I had it done for the same reason, it burnt like hell and made my nose itch to no end. I don't think there was anything that could be done to make it heal faster.

You could try blowing very lightly like breathing hard, or just keep your head tilted back so it doesnt run out?
No itching here and thankfully my doctor numbed the inside of my nose.

Did you have any nosebleeds right after the procedure? I had one this morning I'm assuming that it was because my one nostril was super dry after waking up. Hopefully I won't need to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
krote345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90  [0.00]
I had it done a long time ago after frequent nosebleeds got out of hand. I would imagine that regularly applying a little antibiotic ointment (ex: Neosporin) would probably help a bit.

Jet Black, 6MT, CW Pkg, PS, iPod, Style 189 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

sounds just as bad as having wisdom teeth taken out

good luck and hope you feel better soon
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
sounds just as bad as having wisdom teeth taken out

good luck and hope you feel better soon
Got to get that done within the year too. but thank you. Already noticed a big difference in the way I felt from 24 hours ago when it was done.

Calling the doc' tomorrow and finding out if I can put some neosporin or A&D ointment on a Q Tip and shove it up my nose.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

omg dude i got this done a few years back as well and noticed that the effects of it goes away.

i too had nose bleeds often so my doc numbed my nose and did something, lol i don't remember exactly what he did but after the blood just crusted up and i couldnt pick at the crust or blow it out.

im surprised the doc did both your noses the same day cause my doc said one at a time, cause if you do both i can't breath out of them. the blood got all crusty and i could only breathe through one nose until it got better and i could blow the stuff or pick it out.

after about 2 years the effects go away and i start to get nose bleeds again. not as sever as before but it is comming back slowly...