New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
JACKPAC
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Test drove 35i today

It was quite an experience. I have previously driven both the 335 and the 135. For those who have driven both of those cars, in the same way the 135i feels quicker and more "fun to drive" than the 335i is the same way that the Z4 feels in comparison to the 135i. It feels lighter and more responsive. The dual clutch was amazing. I was never a fan and have previously driven an audi TT with dual-clutch and it is no comparison. The downshift blips are accompanied by a nice jolt and an exhaust "pop" for not a better word. Much more pleasent experience in normal traffic than the M3 (manual) which I have also driven. The car I drove was blue with the exclusive white interior, premium package/ sport package.

P.S. I did get a little back wheel action on sport +
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKPAC View Post
It was quite an experience. I have previously driven both the 335 and the 135. For those who have driven both of those cars, in the same way the 135i feels quicker and more "fun to drive" than the 335i is the same way that the Z4 feels in comparison to the 135i. It feels lighter and more responsive. The dual clutch was amazing. I was never a fan and have previously driven an audi TT with dual-clutch and it is no comparison. The downshift blips are accompanied by a nice jolt and an exhaust "pop" for not a better word. Much more pleasent experience in normal traffic than the M3 (manual) which I have also driven. The car I drove was blue with the exclusive white interior, premium package/ sport package.

P.S. I did get a little back wheel action on sport +
Thanks for the update. So in conclusion:
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I thought the opposite of you. I drove the turbo yesterday for about 20 minutes. I was thinking of trading my 335 coupe for one. What Car&Driver said was correct. I was very dissapointed. They went the Merc/audi path. You can't feel anything through the steering and the DCT trans is so smooth that it's like driving an automatic. Whatever BMW "feel" was in the old Z4 is gone. This one did not have the sport package though. This is one of the first BMW's I have driven lately that I said to myself that I would not track it. This car was made for cruising A1A down in Miami with a hot blond in the passenger seat. Guess I will wait for the Z2.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
JACKPAC
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

To me the steering felt like any other BMW I've ever driven (although I have never owned one). As far as the trans. is concerned, the torque curve is so flat and the shifts are so quick that I would not expect a big jolt between gears. That being said, maybe a manual would give you more of what you want, although, I would never track a car with a heavy retractable roof either.
Appreciate 0