BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Possibly moving to Germany, Italy, or GB

05-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Possibly moving to Germany, Italy, or GB

So to get away from the Arizona heat it seems there are slots (USAF Air Traffic Control) open for my wife in Ramstein and Spangdahlem in Germany, Aviano Italy, or Lakenheath GB/England/UK whatever they call it these days. Anybody here lived in these places that can give some of the pros and cons? I lived in Germany for 8 years as a kid but not in either of the bases that have openings now. (We could also go to Elmdorf Alaska or Yokota Japan but no thanks!) Not worried about speed cameras as a con since I already have to deal with them here in AZ......TIA

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Go to Aviano. You *will* like it. I was stationed there as a Marine, and although I lived in a tent I loved it anyway. It's right by the Italian Alps, close to Trieste, and Rome and Naples are a train ride away. The countryside is beautiful as well. Long walks in the Italian countryside for the win!

Here are the mountains, right next to the base:

BTW, USAF personal got about $70 a day per diem while I was there. Additionally, many of them were assigned rental cars in their orders, they only paid for gas. Some were also put up in apartments in town as base housing had overflowed. I don't know if any of this is still true today.

This is on base as well, IIRC:

This is not:

If you and your wife are nightlife people, you'll enjoy Italy immensely. More photos here:

http://www.comune.aviano.pn.it/index.php?id=222

That's the official site of the town.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I've lived in Germany for twenty years and there is no comparison to the states. I'd live there in a heartbeat if there weren't so many obsticles. Anyway, i've been to italy a few times and except for a few places, it's kinda overrated. I'm Army, so theres little to no chance i'd ever get to England, but its so damn expensive there. Go to Germany. From there, you're only a few hours from other countries. Good luck.
      05-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Germany

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

gf's brother is in security forces for the USAF stationed at aviano and he loves it there.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Germany is an awesome choice. A bunch of my buddies all wanted Germany or Italy for a post, but its pretty hard to get for army folk unless they been in long enough.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift330 View Post
or Lakenheath GB/England/UK whatever they call it these days.
WTF? It isn't hard . It is The United Kingdom of Great Britain. You know...like the United States of America?? But, instead of states, it comprises of (you guessed it....) Kingdoms.

It comprises England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Went to Lakenheath many times for the USAF air show each year. I'd pick England but then I'm biased.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

It depends on what you like to do, if you have kids, what you are looking for.
Ramstein: little America. I would HATE it, but that's because I am looking to get away from Americans and mix with the locals. Living at Ramstein or in Kaiserslautern (the big city that is close) is really like living in the U.S. I was lucky and got to come to Heidelberg instead...much smaller U.S. population and if I need an American fix, Ramstein is 45 minutes away.
Aviano: beautiful, great food, great wine, great people. If you speak Italian, you are in and you will have twice as much fun. The sea isn't too far, and Venice is not far either. As for travel, Croatia is a border away...nice place and cheap...seriously. Just don't think you are going to Rome every weekend or to Florence or Milan...Aviano is waaay over on the eastern side of the top of the boot.
Lakenheath (Mildenhall): Ahhh Suffolk. The Red Lion pub in Icklingham with fresh pheasant and good ale. Bury St Edmunds just a bit further on. Then of course, Cambridge is just down the road too. Great place (not as good as Oxford, but that's only 2 hours away). Best Thai food in the world at the Wrestler Pub. Like horse racing? Newmarket is on the way to Cambridge. London is an hour away by car. The cons are that the houses are smaller than Germany. Get Mildenhall if you can. I would go back in a heartbeat, especially if they got rid of that tosser Gordon Brown.
No matter where you go, don't stay close to base...get out and live with the locals. Eat their food, learn their language, live like they do. You will find a whole different world.
Good Luck!

Last edited by ukthunderace; 05-08-2009 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Germany lived there 10 years, Ramstien is a nice Air Base, and they're constantly developing it. I didn't live there but visited a few times. Just PM me if you have any questions. I'd go back to Germany in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, my wife's getting deployed to Iraq in September so we won't get to relocate anytime to soon it turns out so no PCS this summer

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Sorry to hear you're not PCSing this summer. Even more sorry to hear of your wife's deployment. All the best to her in harm's way downrange.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0