New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Car and Driver doesn't like the Z4?

I was looking forward to driving one of these, but this is disappointing...too much body roll and vague steering." They recommend a porsche boxter over the new z4!! Their reviews are usually right on the money. This does seem to contradict the previous review with the dct transmission when they say the steering is "weighted and direct." I'll have to drive one to decide myself.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

I didn't see this thread until now: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254029

Handling of an slk. Thats horrible in my opinion. I know it's not an M, but it's sports car and a bmw roadster for crying out loud. I have driven the slk 350 and 300. Even in sports mode, I felt it was all over the place with major body roll. Sounds like I may be passing on the z4 again.

Last edited by erio; 05-04-2009 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Drive the car, if you like it buy it, if you don't, don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Drive the car, if you like it buy it, if you don't, don't.
Exactly what I plan to do when it's available at my dealer. I didn't mean to rub any loyal z4 owners the wrong way. I was simply suprised that it received that review from C+D. I was really looking forward to driving the car. I'm considering a convertible and was hoping this would be the car for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

"The Boxster is a tough car to beat with its benchmark steering, lively responses, and commodious front and rear trunks. The Z4 is not on the same dynamic level as the Porsche, but it is close, and it’s better than the Benz and Audi. If you’re in the market for a two-seat convertible, the Z4 deserves a spot on your shopping list."

So basically, not quite as good as a Porsche Boxster but better than both the SLK and the TT. Not bad in my book. As the other posts have said, grab a testdrive and see for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
"The Boxster is a tough car to beat with its benchmark steering, lively responses, and commodious front and rear trunks. The Z4 is not on the same dynamic level as the Porsche, but it is close, and it’s better than the Benz and Audi. If you’re in the market for a two-seat convertible, the Z4 deserves a spot on your shopping list."

So basically, not quite as good as a Porsche Boxster but better than both the SLK and the TT. Not bad in my book. As the other posts have said, grab a testdrive and see for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised...

Point taken. Maybe I had the bar set too high because of all the hype surrounding the unveiling, the stepped up pricing, and the fact I was considering picking one up. Personally, I do have high expectations if I'm going to pay 60000 for a loaded sdrive35i coupe. Will def. give it a shot.

Last edited by erio; 05-05-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Indeed, not quite a positive review of http://www.caranddriver.com. The most reviews I have read claim the opposite.

> the Z4 yielded a significant amount of body roll and exhibited vague steering (for a BMW).

It sounds more like they drove a version without the adaptive suspension.

Some weeks ago they also test drove the DCT version:
> The chassis is well balanced, and the body motions are always controlled. Handling is predictable...
> The steering is well weighted and direct, although it feels slightly isolated from the road....
> The Z4 moves sharply along twisty roads, but the steering feel and the extreme rearward driving position make for a personality that is more deliberate than darty.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Point taken. Maybe I had the bar set too high because of all the hype surrounding the unveiling, the stepped up pricing, and the fact I was considering picking one up. Personally, I do have high expectations if I'm going to pay 60000 for a loaded sdrive35i coupe. Will def. give it a shot.
I agree that the price is pretty steep and can therefore see why a good number of people demand a lot from it.

Hey, once I finally get to drive the thing I may be disappointed too but I'm trying my best to be as neutral as possible until then. At the end of the day, if I'm splashing that amount of money on a car there's only one person that really has to like it... me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Regardless of soso look of exterior or the performance, interior is YUM!!!! especially with that extended leather!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

The Z4 has never aimed itself at the same type of driving dynamic as a Boxster. The Top Gear review of the Z4 M highlighted that perfectly. And we all know that different doesn't necessarily equal wrong!

I think the Z4 will a great car that offers more interesting styling than a Porsche (am I the only one that has trouble telling the difference between a boxster and a 911 cab?) and in real world driving will be perfectly good fun.

This isn't a track car and I think the pricing reflects that. If you want to go to the track get an M3 coupe, if you want a stylish car for everyday use with the occassional spirited drive and a drop-top then get a Z4.

Sometimes I think reviewers standards are unobtainably high and often the differences between cars exist in areas of their performance that most of us don't get into even on a quick drive. I mean when was the last time anyone here cornered at even 0.7g let alone 0.83g and yet that's supposed to be a bad thing!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
The Z4 has never aimed itself at the same type of driving dynamic as a Boxster. The Top Gear review of the Z4 M highlighted that perfectly. And we all know that different doesn't necessarily equal wrong!

I think the Z4 will a great car that offers more interesting styling than a Porsche (am I the only one that has trouble telling the difference between a boxster and a 911 cab?) and in real world driving will be perfectly good fun.

This isn't a track car and I think the pricing reflects that. If you want to go to the track get an M3 coupe, if you want a stylish car for everyday use with the occassional spirited drive and a drop-top then get a Z4.

Sometimes I think reviewers standards are unobtainably high and often the differences between cars exist in areas of their performance that most of us don't get into even on a quick drive. I mean when was the last time anyone here cornered at even 0.7g let alone 0.83g and yet that's supposed to be a bad thing!
I couldn't agree more...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

0.83g is concerningly low though for a performance roadster of this caliber...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Does it have runflats? That might be enough to explain that. I saw one at my dealer this morning, and must admit that the inside looks fantastic with the extended leather. The outside is better in person too, but there's a shocking amount of deadspace in the front end, the intercooler must sit eighteen inches or two feet behind the front bumper. I assume this has to do with the EU pedestrian laws, but it just looks odd in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Quote:
That is really low, and run flats shouldn't matter much. I had a C6 with runflats (had the better ones with Z51) and I was able to pull .97 out of it. Supposedly it would do 1.0.

I am pretty worried about that handling of the new Z4 now, if other reviews confirm these types of numbers I might switch to a M3. But I love the way the Z4 looks!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I drove the turbo yesterday for about 20 minutes. I was thinking of trading my 335 coupe for one. What Car&Driver said was correct. I was very dissapointed. They went the Merc/audi path. You can't feel anything through the steering and the DCT trans is so smooth that it's like driving an automatic. Whatever BMW "feel" was in the old Z4 is gone. This one did not have the sport package though. This is one of the first BMW's I have driven lately that I said to myself that I would not track it. This car was made for cruising A1A down in Miami with hot blond in the passenger seat. Guess I will wait for the Z2.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

So what felt better ...the 335i coupe or the new Z4 (albeit without sports suspension).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
So what felt better ...the 335i coupe or the new Z4 (albeit without sports suspension).
My 335 feels alot better. (it is a sport package)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

How can anyone possibly expect the car, a heavy long-nosed roadster, to equal the mid-engine Boxster in the real world in terms of handling and driving performance? It cannot no matter what engine they stick in there. The car is meant to attract a large audience and potential buyers. That means compromise. Less performance, more luxury and convenience.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Archon View Post
That is really low, and run flats shouldn't matter much. I had a C6 with runflats (had the better ones with Z51) and I was able to pull .97 out of it. Supposedly it would do 1.0.

I am pretty worried about that handling of the new Z4 now, if other reviews confirm these types of numbers I might switch to a M3. But I love the way the Z4 looks!
+1 0.83g IS NOT acceptable...does not inspire confidence for any kind of spirited driving. That's worse than a FORD MUSTANG. This is smelling more like a show car/trophy wife car every time I get more data on it. I think I'll pass again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
I couldn't agree more...
+2
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:

Quote:
I couldn't agree more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
+2
+3

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
MalSer
Rep
Drives: Considering X6 35i

Had a very short test drive today, blue 35i with double clutch auto. Engine perfomed as expected (no surprise there), I liked the transimission shifts, and the car is gorgeous. However, the steering and "feel" weren't as intuitive as the Boxter S (which I went and test drove 10 minutes later) and it seemed a bit nose heavy. I'm not criticizing, just making observations. The dealer also had a black 30i with red interior, and I must say that I really liked the red with aluminum trim. One fun story...was on the freeway feeder (access road) and saw a white M3 coupe coming up behind me. I commented that somebody else must be taking a test drive and the salesman said no, it was another of his customers picking up his new M3. It passed me so I gassed it a bit and followed him through the U-turn underpass (which he put putted through cautiously). Pulled out on the other side and asked for permission...he hit the sport+ button, and I floored it, blowing past the M3 a few moments later. He followed me into the dealership and was taking the Z4 out for a drive a few minutes later. Fun stuff!!! Anyway, verdict? Impressive car but I think it's overpriced. I'll need to drive it some more (i.e. aggressively) to decide if it's what I want & would like to see white and space gray in person before making any decision (such as shelling out $3K more and going with the Boxter S). Just my 2 bits.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In my opinion, the Boxster would look 1000 times better if it didn't have that silly single exhaust smack in the middle of the ass. It looks like the car has an ass hole.
Appreciate 0