BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Never stay at the Sandpiper Santa Barbara -- Charged us $400 for nothing

05-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Silverbeam
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Never stay at the Sandpiper Santa Barbara -- Charged us $400 for nothing

Anyone who was there this weekend will tell you about all or the ridiculous stuff that management did to bimmerfest attendees and how poorly we were all treated. But no one was treated worse then us poor souls in room 114, who got charged an extra $400 for noise complaints and the police coming when the police never came, and we were asleep when said noise complaints were made and when the fantasy cops came to the hotel room.

In all, they threatened to call the police, tow our cars and evict us even when we were being complacent and doing nothing wrong.

That was your cliffs, here is the weekend in more details

We had trouble at the Sandpiper last year too but decided to give it another shot. We had rented about about 80% of the hotel and in typical bimmerfest fashion there were a lot of people going room to room meeting each other and hanging out.

We were badgered constantly all Friday night even after we split up and quieted down. Yes, at 10 and 11 we were being loud, but most people headed over to Motel 6 after that because we didn't want to deal with management. Those who stayed for the most part kept it down. That is a little besides the point though, because the real bullshit happened after it was quiet.

At around 1:30am Friday night, we get a call to our room about noise complaints and threats to kick us out for noise and for people walking by our room (wtf we can't control where people walk!). We aren't being loud. Ironically, the phone woke some of us up when the "noise" didn't.

They called back twice after that about a minute a part from each other... then they just started calling and hanging up. We unplugged the phone.

My friend Siobhan and her friend went outside for a cigarette shortly after all this and as she quietly stood there and smoked the manager came up to her and threatened to evict us again if she didn't go inside. They said specifically that they had 7 noise complaints about them being outside! They were being quiet because of what had just happened and didn't want any more trouble. I also want to note that everyone there for bimmerfest received calls for seven complaints about their room and their room in particular. They were making up noise complaints!

Saturday night everyone went out to State St. because we didn't want problems, but even though we were quiet the drama found us. Everyone came back, settled down and went to sleep without issue. My boyfriend and I had already been asleep for about two hours in the adjoining room (with the door open) and didn't even hear them come in. There were no calls made to our room, no visits from the manager, nothing. Just a quiet, peaceful night.

or so we thought.

Come Sunday morning when we go to check out there is a $400 charge on our bill for noise and the police coming on Saturday night. The time all of this happened was after we were asleep! We called the police to get the room number from the report and discovered that the police never came!

They sent a car over to the hotel to help us clear things up with the management (lets give SBPD a thumbsup on this one). The manager pretended to remove the charge, but then wouldn't give us a receipt. The officer forced the manager to give him the receipt, and when he did the $400 charge was still there even though we did nothing wrong!

Now Siobhan had to go through her credit card to remove a charge for an event that didn't even happen.

So cliffs part two: never stay at the Sandpiper. They obviously don't want our business, so lets refuse to give it to them. Bimmerfest 2010 we boycott the Sandpiper.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Ouch, very sorry you had to deal with that. Definitely fight that if you are innocent, but you have to see some of it from the managements perspective: a large group of people were making noise, and they receive several complaints with no ability to direct the complaint to the right people for sure.

This is no way says what the management did was right, in fact they bungled the situation horrendously. I wish you good luck, if in fact you were completely innocent (and even then, a $400 charge is ridiculous)
      05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Sorry to hear it. It's never comfortable hearing about unnecessary harassment stories but I don't quite understand. You said you guys had trouble at the Sandpiper last year too but decided to give it another shot.

The question is why? ...Was there not another place to stay? Or did you guys think it will be better this time around for some reason?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol... in these times they should be grateful for patrons.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Silverbeam
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

We decided to give it another go because we thought that maybe last year they just didn't realize what was going on, and because they have good prices on two room suites. Our friends booked it and were looking for people to stay with them, so we decided to put last year behind us and try to move on.

They didn't even give us a chance. We were branded the second we checked in. Last year, it wasn't our room that got the harassment, but another one, however, the situation was very similar. They seem to like focusing on one room and giving them the brunt of the assaults even if they are not to blame.

The so-called noise complaints for our room all happened when we were asleep or about to go to sleep. I won't pretend that stuff wasn't happening at the hotel, and that people were not being loud. I won't even pretend as if we didn't have conversations in our room, however, most of this noise stopped early due to the management, and our own room was fairly quiet for most of the weekend.

this one post from our next-door neighbor on bimmerforums more or less says it all. This in in regard to my friend who was outside smoking:

"I didn't hear her do anything until that manager started yelling at her."
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Between the cops pulling people over and throwing out tickets and the hotels ripping guests off, it kind of shows how desperate they are to get more money out of people during the recession.