BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board how to contest a parking ticket?

05-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i e36 m3

how to contest a parking ticket?

Hello guys, I go to ucsd and tonight I parked in a staff parking spot for 2 minutes while I went to go get my friends. When I came back this bitch handed me a parking ticket for 45 dollars. WTF?!?!? I was literally gone for 2 minutes. Is there a way I can fight it? Like is it legit if I borrowed my friends parking permit and said that the bitch who issued me a ticket didn't see my parking permit? This is most BS ticket ever and I don't want to pay for it. Any ideas guys? Help a brother out. TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTFTW View Post
Hello guys, I go to ucsd and tonight I parked in a staff parking spot for 2 minutes while I went to go get my friends. When I came back this bitch handed me a parking ticket for 45 dollars. WTF?!?!? I was literally gone for 2 minutes. Is there a way I can fight it? Like is it legit if I borrowed my friends parking permit and said that the bitch who issued me a ticket didn't see my parking permit? This is most BS ticket ever and I don't want to pay for it. Any ideas guys? Help a brother out. TIA
No. Your friends permit is assigned (if UCSD does stuff the way FSU does) to your friend and your friends car only. You can get a ticket for having another persons decal in your car (though they rarely scan or run the numbers to make sure). Not really much you can do except challenge it and tell whomever at parking services you ran inside for only two minutes and you were getting back in your car when she wrote you up. Maybe they'll let it go. You'll have to pay the fine if you don't challenge it so you might as well, nothing to lose.
      05-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've bought parking permits in the past and they don't ask for your plate number. Should I just tell the truth and say I was gone for 2 minutes or should I make something up (that's pretty legit) and say they didn't see the permit?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lolwned! couple ways out of this.

Easiest is to find somebody who purchased a day pass on that day and show them the pass, telling them it fell off the dash. My friend forgot to put his day pass on his dash one day and he got ticketed--but he got out of it.

Or do the same with the parking pass. assuming that ucsd doesn't connect the pass to the license plate (i don't think UCD does this... i've lent my pass to friends all the time).. or ask your friend if he had to fill out any license plate stuff or whatever when he purchased his pass.

Other than that you have to pay the ticket lols...never underestimate campus TAPS. You shouldn't have gotten out of the car anyways... that's what a cellphone is for.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've bought parking permits in the past and they don't ask for your plate number. Should I just tell the truth and say I was gone for 2 minutes or should I make something up (that's pretty legit) and say they didn't see the permit?
What time did you park there anyways? Reason I ask is because if you parked at a time when your not allowed to park in staff parking, then you have no way out of this.

For example @Davis C permit = visitor permit (students and guests), A permit = staff permit... there are almost equal visitor to staff parking spots. C permit is allowed to park in A permit areas only after 5PM.

If there's a time rule against parking there regardless of having a pass, then your kinda screwed either way. If this was pretty late at night, or past the time rule, then just use your friend's parking permit and you should be fine.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Did you park in a spot that you weren't supposed to?

STFU and man up.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Is it a permanent pass or a pay lot? At FSU we go to the transportation services website and enter our vehicle information (color, make, plate) and we are given a permanent tag that is good for one year. I was going off the assumption that maybe that was the way UCSD worked.

Edit: saw it was a staff lot. Were you allowed to park there after hours with any valid permit and your car just didn't have one or was it only staff all the time?
      05-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
lolwned! couple ways out of this.

Easiest is to find somebody who purchased a day pass on that day and show them the pass, telling them it fell off the dash. My friend forgot to put his day pass on his dash one day and he got ticketed--but he got out of it.

Or do the same with the parking pass. assuming that ucsd doesn't connect the pass to the license plate (i don't think UCD does this... i've lent my pass to friends all the time).. or ask your friend if he had to fill out any license plate stuff or whatever when he purchased his pass.

Other than that you have to pay the ticket lols...never underestimate campus TAPS. You shouldn't have gotten out of the car anyways... that's what a cellphone is for.
woot woot! I'm just worried that if they scan my license plate and the name doesn't correspond to the name on the borrowed permit... (hopefully they don't do this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
What time did you park there anyways? Reason I ask is because if you parked at a time when your not allowed to park in staff parking, then you have no way out of this.

For example @Davis C permit = visitor permit (students and guests), A permit = staff permit... there are almost equal visitor to staff parking spots. C permit is allowed to park in A permit areas only after 5PM.

If there's a time rule against parking there regardless of having a pass, then your kinda screwed either way. If this was pretty late at night, or past the time rule, then just use your friend's parking permit and you should be fine.
Yeah I parked in an A spot at 8pm. At that time, any permit S, B, or A may be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Is it a permanent pass or a pay lot? At FSU we go to the transportation services website and enter our vehicle information (color, make, plate) and we are given a permanent tag that is good for one year. I was going off the assumption that maybe that was the way UCSD worked.

Edit: saw it was a staff lot. Were you allowed to park there after hours with any valid permit and your car just didn't have one or was it only staff all the time?
haha nope it's not a "permanent pass". We don't have to punch in any vehicle information. So pretty much I can borrow anyone's permit.

And yes, after 4:30pm, any valid permit would suffice at any parking spot except for the reserved parking spots.

Hope I can get out of this.
Appreciate 0