E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 in Chicago (3 Across America)

04-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

e90 in Chicago (3 Across America)

OK, so I just saw the e90 in the flesh both during the day and at the fancier evening unveiling here in Chicago. No pics because honestly I couldn't add anything new there. Here are my impressions:

First, I keep hearing about these 3 across America things being badly coordinated. This one was well done. Especially at night. Great food. Nicely handled. The guy who spoke both times today was the brand manager of the 5 and 6 series (I told him they should have stuck the front from the 6 on the new 3-he seemed to think that was a very good idea-apparently no one had ever mentioned that before. Odd.) He knew his stuff backwards and forwards. He was awesome. He even told me that the choice I was making (new 2005 e46 ZHP vs new e90) was a tough one because they're both great cars in their own right. He did tell me that the top brand guy on the 3 drove it all over the NE and, even though that guy's the one who actually championed the ZHP movement, he thinks the new e90 drives like nothing EVER. Great agility and control when you need it but with all the comfort you want when you're not pushing the car. The point is, this guy wasn't selling me, he was being honest. He rocked.

Now, to the car.

It is NOT amazing in person. It's nice. I keep hearing people gushing, and they have a right to their opinion, but it is NOT amazing in person. True, some of the photos do not show you the true look of the car because that's just what lenses do. They tend to make the car look wider and more bad-as_. But, IMO, it's interesting, but it's NOT, I repeat, NOT amazing.

The doors seem to be taller than the e46, so less window space. They are definately more slab-like. The front does not look like a Pontiac. It's OK, but it's trying too hard. And although I could live with the split-grille, it's just stupid. The front of the Z4, M5, 6 and M6 are all vastly better than the e90's front. There must have been 50 BMW's parked in the parking lot by Soldier Field and they ALL looked better than the e90. Every one of them. There was this red Nelson Mandela-signed e46 that was sweet. Cleaner lines, more sedan-like, classier. Sorry. The e46 still looks BETTER than the e90. It looks smarter, more grown-up, not boring, just simpler, not as loud. Like the quiet guy who walks into a bar with black blazer, jeans, no tie, hair's a bit messed up, but just exudes class. Doesn't need to show off.

Now, on the other hand, wheels on the 330i sport look just as awesome as they do in pics. They are one of the best looking wheels I have ever seen on any car. Well done. Back of the e90 looks fine. Never understood the fuss about that. Lines on the side look nice. The sweep forward of the car is nice.

Inside, well, all I can say is it's just fine. Clean, classic, simple. I like the e46 interior, but I had NO problems with anything on the interior. Materials felt nice. Wheel is nice. Reminds me of M3 sport wheel. Sports seats are way better to me than non-sport, but it's all subjective. Black leather looked nice and I hate black leather. Beige was nice but should be much more two-toned in execution. No Terra on hand (Hmm, I wonder why. Maybe because the real pics I've seen look AWFUL!!!) I prefer the darker exterior colors, but I heard many people liking the silver.

This car is NOT bigger inside!!! No, no no! Anyone who tells you it's truly bigger is, in my opinion, dreaming. Sorry to all of you who think that, but come on. It's a true 3 inside. The only real difference is the slight cut-out in the back of the front seats. Rear-passengers get a bit more knee-room. Otherwise it's just NOT bigger. Of course, I never thought the 3 small, so I'm fine with that. And sitting in the back felt good. The sides on the back seats felt very nice. Held me in like my Mother used to do when I was a baby. Uh, sorry. Ergonomics were fine. I liked being inside this car. Slamming doors felt almost as good as an e46, but not as good. That's cool.

People kept opening the hood, but I didn't come there to stare at a cold engine. I drive with the hood closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

more

Sorry-hit the wrong button!

Anyway, BMW did a great job in Chicago. I'm more confused than ever. I had hoped that the car would either repulse me or blow me away. It did neither. It's nice, but it sort of reminds me of the person who's trying just a bit too hard to be cool. Not really hard, just a bit much. And the tough thing is, all I heard about was how unreal this thing is to drive and that counts for a lot.

Gotta make up my mind soon. Hope some of this helped. Thanks to all of you amazing people for sharing. I know I can't go wrong, but it's tough.

Cheers.

sparky
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
mduchesne
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Black 330i

Well it is nice to get someone to be somewhat more critical of the new e90. I prefer the e90 personally just becasue of the more professional/business appearance. I do love both and am hoping that I will at least like the car somewhat more than in pictures (even though in pictures i love it). I just cannot wait to see it so I can decide for myself. Thanks again mfstout for the honest criticism.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for the "other" perspective Sparky! This being an e90 forum, I guess some members aren't exactly completely objective all the time when they're describing their impression of the e90 but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder so objectivity may not be relevant.

I'm glad you were able to finally see the car in person and make up your own mind about the car. Perhaps this may be a situation where, over time, the e90 and the gripes you mentioned above will gradually look better and better to you? Are you planning a test drive? Maybe that will end up being the deciding factor for you.

Whatever choice you make, you'll have yourself a damn fine car!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
divide
Rep
Drives: E90

Thanks for that very insightful wright up! I think you are one of the few people that are not letting all the hype get to them. Its nice to hear something different to balance things out a bit.

I did see the car at the DC showing a few weeks back an the very same day i placed my order! Nothing to think about really its all about the driving. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout
People kept opening the hood, but I didn't come there to stare at a cold engine. I drive with the hood closed.
That's my favorite line
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

A critique?! How dare you!!

Excellent write up. I was hoping I would see a "different" opinion on the forum. By the way, I didnt see it in your post, but what colors did they have on display? And secondly, Ive been trying to find this out, but you mentioned "two-toned" on the car with the beige interior. Where is the "other" tone? On the floor perhaps?

And I am with you about there being a lot of hype over the E90. It is easy to get caught up in. Its like BMW is trying too hard. Which they will NEVER need to do. The things sell themselves...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

you guys rock

Thanks to all of you who tolerated my late-night typing. Our shared passion for great driving and great design is a wicked cool thing.

Bozo5521: Colors were titanium with black int. and monaco blue with beige int. No two-tone. That only happens with terra in the U.S.. (Lemon outside of this country.) I don't like silver cars but the titanium is well done. Monaco blue is also not my cup of tea, but for what it was it looked cool. Dark is nice. For me darker colors define the car differently, visually. And the black car post on this site does make the car look pretty sweet.

God this is hard. If I wait to test-drive the e90, the e46's will probably be history.

Thanks jwocky for all of your work on this site, btw. It rocks! No winey, insulting types here. Refreshing.

And fyi, the car definitely looks better with the hood closed. (Less wind resistance too.)

Good luck all! If anyone has more driving impressions from actually motoring around in this thing please post!

sparky
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Thanks jwocky for all of your work on this site, btw. It rocks! No winey, insulting types here. Refreshing.
Definitely, we've got some good discussions going here without any negativity (save for us disgruntled US owners who have to pay hundreds just to have clear headlights ). Oh, and I'll toil endlessly until we convince you on the E90
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Thanks to all of you who tolerated my late-night typing. Our shared passion for great driving and great design is a wicked cool thing.

Bozo5521: Colors were titanium with black int. and monaco blue with beige int. No two-tone. That only happens with terra in the U.S.. (Lemon outside of this country.) I don't like silver cars but the titanium is well done. Monaco blue is also not my cup of tea, but for what it was it looked cool. Dark is nice. For me darker colors define the car differently, visually. And the black car post on this site does make the car look pretty sweet.

God this is hard. If I wait to test-drive the e90, the e46's will probably be history.

And fyi, the car definitely looks better with the hood closed. (Less wind resistance too.)

Good luck all! If anyone has more driving impressions from actually motoring around in this thing please post!

sparky
mfstout, i was/am at the same crossroads, and to tell you the truth, since I just bought my year end E46 in November, my biggest issue was resale value. If you are deciding to go for one or the other, it something to think about. Unfortunately, like it or not, as soon as these babies hit the street, the E46's in all their glory, will lose resale value fairly quickly. We all know how great these cars are, but those "unaware" will always want the "new model", or the "new shape"..It could look like a Pontiac Aztek, and it wouldnt matter..Just to something practical to think about..Of course, theres is always the fact that the E90 IS JUST SO DAMN COOL LOOKIN'!! lol..The important thing is that youre happy with your decision...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

Thanks BZ. Tough call for me too. I agree with you that value of the e46 will continue to drop due to the e90. Gotta make up my mind soon. Wish they had a leather I liked better on the e90. What ever happened to the days of British tan? BMW's got a killer caramel color in Germany that would have been great on this car, but instead they came up with terra, which from the latest shots looks like dead orange mud. (my opinion of course) Hope you like your car. We cann't lose as long as we're drivin' bimmers.

cheers.

sparky
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
jpv-USC
Rep
Drives: 2003 325Cic, red/b

interesting review my man, but the e90 is all that. its not supposed to blow you away cause it aint a ferrari. i think it will do its job and add a little more sport to the game then the e46 had. a nicely done e46 (m sport kit) was very sporty, but a standard one was kind of dull. I think this new one looks as nice as a sport e46, imaging what a sport e90 would be like.

yea im biased but i just love the e90 too damn much i dont care !