BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Where should I transfer to?

04-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Where should I transfer to?

Due to unfortunate financial circumstances I may be forced to transfer out of Penn State University. This is my fourth school and I was hoping more than anything to finish here but scholarship funds are getting cut and I can't afford to go here. I am looking to possibly transfer to another school.

Notes:

-I am unable to get private student loans on my own and I do not have a co-signer, no way, no how. Please do not suggest, it is NOT possible.

-I get a pretty large financial aid award usually each year however out of state tuition here is almost $25,000 which I can not afford

-I will have 41 credits after this semester, my GPA this semester will be above a 3.0 I believe if not a 3.14-3.2 (however my previous schools combined are only about a 2.5 GPA)

-I highly doubt I will be able to transfer to another school of the same caliber for many different reasons.

Here are some things I am looking for in a school:

-Rolling admissions, this all may have to happen very fast if I find out I am not able to stay due to finances

-Affordable

-Location: I love nice weather, activities, good looking girls and good attitudes, a place that I wouldn't have a problem finding a part time job close by: Too much city = bad, too much country = bad. I like a nice balance of the two

-Dorms, I am almost positive I would have to stay in them until I got my situation sorted out again

-Fun is important, but I don't want a school that is going to surround me with a bunch of retards that don't care and have no problems failing out. My friends here love to party and things get crazy but at the same time, they are not dumb enough to let their schooling go to shit.

This is hitting me hard, a good place to be with good opportunities regarding education and social life are important. I hate to leave this place, but I would hate even more to go back to one of the schools I was at considering I remember how miserable I was at them all. If I were able to pay in state tuition here I would not be having this problem however they are extremely strict as to who gets what status, out of state or in state.

Any ideas?
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
You only got 41 credits? Why didn't you just go to a community college and then transfer after a year or two. You would have saved some money.
      04-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameal999 View Post
You only got 41 credits? Why didn't you just go to a community college and then transfer after a year or two. You would have saved some money.
The circumstances of my life are far from typical, I have no one to help me out, I have had numerous bounces etc.

Why didn't I this or that isn't really helping me in this matter.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

What is your major? What state are you a resident of?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
What is your major? What state are you a resident of?
Maine, and I have zero desire to attend ANY school in that state. My major is Recreational Parks and Tourism Management (Commercial)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Co-Op program somewhere to help pay tuition?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
go to school in cali!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im spencer View Post
go to school in cali!!!!
What school?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
are you the ROTC guy

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
are you the ROTC guy
huh
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
Maine, and I have zero desire to attend ANY school in that state. My major is Recreational Parks and Tourism Management (Commercial)
Are there many jobs in that? Maybe you should do something else especially since you have financial problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
cougfan335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe MT, Montego/Saddle

I would have to vote for Santa Cruz or Davis if you're going to Cali and not wanting to go broke, not sure about their dorms though. Damn I like Penn State, they have everything you want good football and cheese & ice cream. Just like my school used to have, now its just cheese & ice cream.
e92 335i: Montego, Saddle Brown, Burl Walnut, MT, Sport, Prem, CW, PDC, Rear Shade. Mods: JB4, BMS Dual Intake, Cyba Scoops, Beyern Mesh Chrome 19" wheels, 15% F1 tint, LeatherZ weighted shift knob, body color reflectors, Matte black grill with Montego surround, middle lower grill removed, left and right lower grills painted black.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

Quote:
Have you thought of Auburn University. They have a good hotel and restaurant management program, small city, affordable tuition and living expenses, all kinds of part time jobs. You may leave with a slight southern drawl though.....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan335 View Post
I would have to vote for Santa Cruz or Davis if you're going to Cali and not wanting to go broke, not sure about their dorms though. Damn I like Penn State, they have everything you want good football and cheese & ice cream. Just like my school used to have, now its just cheese & ice cream.
Davis has very low acceptance rates. Santa Cruz is a lot easier to get into. He'd have to pay a crapload more money because he's from out of state.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I hope this will all turn out well, but I will need to stay in school no matter what. If it can't be Penn State I'd like for it to be something similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

ASU, or try any CSU state schools in California. Probably transferring to CSU Staniuslas next year.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
Davis has very low acceptance rates. Santa Cruz is a lot easier to get into. He'd have to pay a crapload more money because he's from out of state.
Santa Cruz is $28,XXX a year for out of state. That is over $5k more than PSU. Not even possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #18
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
ASU, or try any CSU state schools in California. Probably transferring to CSU Staniuslas next year.
I was always under the impression that if it wasn't USC, UCLA, Cal or one of those guys that it was just a redheaded step child school for Cali.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Santa Cruz is $28,XXX a year for out of state. That is over $5k more than PSU. Not even possible.
lol i didnt suggest it.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #20
cougfan335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe MT, Montego/Saddle

Crap I had no idea the price of hangin around smoking weed was that high.
e92 335i: Montego, Saddle Brown, Burl Walnut, MT, Sport, Prem, CW, PDC, Rear Shade. Mods: JB4, BMS Dual Intake, Cyba Scoops, Beyern Mesh Chrome 19" wheels, 15% F1 tint, LeatherZ weighted shift knob, body color reflectors, Matte black grill with Montego surround, middle lower grill removed, left and right lower grills painted black.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

jus go to a community college for two years or whatever and transfer. if you go to the community college by me for two years and have like a 3.0 gpa they pay your full tuition at a select few colleges. the community college costs $1500 a year
      04-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #22
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
jus go to a community college for two years or whatever and transfer. if you go to the community college by me for two years and have like a 3.0 gpa they pay your full tuition at a select few colleges. the community college costs $1500 a year
Where/if I transfer it's going to be my last stop. I'm on my 4th school right now, enough is enough. I'd be staying at this great place if I had a choice but I may not.
Appreciate 0