New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
KlipschZ4
Rep
Drives: Future Z4 or TT...

Question about the noise when the roof is closed

Hi there,

When I see the video's, and when i compare with the SLk, I see that (difficult to explain) the rrof in the Slk go into the car, to be isolated from the exterior.

But, when I see the Z4, we can see that the roof is 'only' touching the rear of the car.

So, my question is, when it is configured in coupé, do we have a good isolation (as in a real coupe)?

I hope you will understand what I mean, I have a very bad english.

SeeU
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschZ4 View Post
Hi there,

When I see the video's, and when i compare with the SLk, I see that (difficult to explain) the rrof in the Slk go into the car, to be isolated from the exterior.

But, when I see the Z4, we can see that the roof is 'only' touching the rear of the car.

So, my question is, when it is configured in coupé, do we have a good isolation (as in a real coupe)?

I hope you will understand what I mean, I have a very bad english.

SeeU
No experience with E89 but 20K miles in E93. Like a coupe for noise with top raised. Quiet. But. But it is really noisy in a driving rain. Only difference I've found. Heavy rain is loud. (Never an issue for me. Two-fer top is great.)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
If you are concerned about noise so much, you shouldn't get a roadster, regardless if it has hardtop or soft top.
Noise will be there no matter how it is designed due to folding top design.
But I'm 100% sure it is going to be MUUUUUUCH less than the rag top.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
KlipschZ4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
If you are concerned about noise so much, you shouldn't get a roadster, regardless if it has hardtop or soft top.
Noise will be there no matter how it is designed due to folding top design.
But I'm 100% sure it is going to be MUUUUUUCH less than the rag top.
Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I "have to" make a choice between TT coupé and Z4 (soft top is not an option). I try to get bad and good points from both the cars, and one quality of the TT is the "cocoon" effect when you are driving (especially in blacl interior)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I "have to" make a choice between TT coupé and Z4 (soft top is not an option). I try to get bad and good points from both the cars, and one quality of the TT is the "cocoon" effect when you are driving (especially in blacl interior)
TT vs Z4? Surely the answer is obvious. Z4 every time (unless you're thinking about the TT-RS). A few reviews I've seen say that the new Z4 is definitely the better car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
manufc4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

But which would win between the z4 and the tt-rs iin terms of choice?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
TT vs Z4? Surely the answer is obvious. Z4 every time (unless you're thinking about the TT-RS). A few reviews I've seen say that the new Z4 is definitely the better car.
Answer isn't obvious as you said above considering the price of those cars.
Plus I'm not sure if you have driven TT's, but I have had both TT quat & Z4 3.0si and I tell TT was more fun. Last gen Z4 was actually very disappointing for me which made me to swap to E92 335i in less than 6 months.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

What's your need?

It all depends on what trims you select from those car to even start comparing. Are you looking into TT-RS vs Z4 sdrive 35i?
I don't know why you "have to" make a choice between TT and Z4 when you are concerned about noise, but if I were you and thinking of gettin Z4 sdrive 35i, I would totally just go with E92 M3 coupe for that price and have the luxury sport coupe with no noise issue plus it has the beast NA engine.

Instead of you ask for opinion here, go out and test drive some cars.
TT/Cayman/M3/335i/whatever...

What's the reason you have to make a choice out of TT or Z4?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
KlipschZ4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Answer isn't obvious as you said above considering the price of those cars.
Plus I'm not sure if you have driven TT's, but I have had both TT quat & Z4 3.0si and I tell TT was more fun. Last gen Z4 was actually very disappointing for me which made me to swap to E92 335i in less than 6 months.

What's your need?

It all depends on what trims you select from those car to even start comparing. Are you looking into TT-RS vs Z4 sdrive 35i?
I don't know why you "have to" make a choice between TT and Z4 when you are concerned about noise, but if I were you and thinking of gettin Z4 sdrive 35i, I would totally just go with E92 M3 coupe for that price and have the luxury sport coupe with no noise issue plus it has the beast NA engine.

Instead of you ask for opinion here, go out and test drive some cars.
TT/Cayman/M3/335i/whatever...

What's the reason you have to make a choice out of TT or Z4?
Thanks to all for your replies.

I have forgotten to say that I am in Europe, in Belgium. Here, we have a lot of taxes on engines AND on benzine (really amazing). So, 80% of the people drive a petrol ("diesel") car.
In this situation, I would like to choose between the Z4 2.3 (I'm not sure it is available in the US) and the Audi TT 2.0, 200hp)
Sorry to let you know so late.
If I would compare a TT 2.0 (not S or RS) and the Z4 3.0, of course, there is no competition at all.

For the noise, here, you have to drive with the roof closed 9 months a year, so, I just would like to be sure you have no (or not so much) difference between acoustic confort in the Z4 with the roof closed and the the TT coupe.

Thanks again! and have a nice.. day (10.20 am here :-) )
Appreciate 0