E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ~2k miles, oil was sparkly

07-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

~2k miles, oil was sparkly

Decided I wanted to change my oil after the break-in period, just because I'm old school and can't sleep well at night thinking that I haven't yet. Call it neurotic, OCD, whatever - I can't wait for 15k miles on the original oil after the break in period.

The oil came oil semi-black and quite sparkly. Just like a can of metallic black paint - which is ironic given I drive a black sapphire 330i. Anyway... I'm glad I changed the oil given the sparkly nature of the oil as I'm assuming those sparkles are caused by very tiny metal shavings that occured during break in. The darkness of the oil was perfect, in fact I was surprised that it wasn't midnight, deep black. You could still see some amber in the color.

To be perfectly honest, the car is a little bit smoother running. Purrs like a kitten and still roars on the onramps!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I'll be changing my oil too at 3K miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Don't take this the wrong way but I find it hard to believe you can tell the quality of your oil by just looking at it. Why don't you send a sample of it off to an oil testing company like Blackstone to really find out what's going on?

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Good job on the oil change!

I changed my oil at 2200 km, at 7500 km, and at 12500 km, and now have 19250 km and am thinking about changing it again before I get my free one.

I do sleep better at night and my 323i runs smooth, purrs beautifully, and is fast.

Good on you!

And to the other guy... why bother with analysis when you can SEE the metal in the oil? Sometimes you can't tell, but when you shine a light in the oil and see the sparkles, that is not just pretty oil... it is metal in the oil... albeit, very well lubricated metal from break in. Normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I'm surprised my car still works.... over 16k miles and no oil change... not for another 9k miles anyway..
      07-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

No offense taken. I would no sooner be able to tell the "quality" of the oil than be able to determine contaminated well water. I'm just saying I can see a shiny, metallic sheen in the oil - and I'm 'assuming' its from the breakin period. To be unambiguous, I'm not saying that's what it is. Albeit, I'm highly suspicious.

"If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it just might be a duck ... "

I'm surprised I've not been flamed by not posting pics. I still have the old oil, so might be able to do this. No promises, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
Don't take this the wrong way but I find it hard to believe you can tell the quality of your oil by just looking at it. Why don't you send a sample of it off to an oil testing company like Blackstone to really find out what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
...why bother with analysis when you can SEE the metal in the oil? Sometimes you can't tell, but when you shine a light in the oil and see the sparkles, that is not just pretty oil... it is metal in the oil... albeit, very well lubricated metal from break in. Normal.
You bother because you have no way of knowing how much particulate is actually in the oil and also how much the oil is designed to handle. Oil is designed to carry particulates. That's part of how it keeps things lubricated, it carry's away things that wear on the engine and keeps them from wearing directly on parts. I'm not saying it was bad that he changed the oil, but I've just heard too many times that people look at their oil, and somehow know it was bad, then they get in their car, and they're sure it runs smoother. If you have enough crud in your oil aftre 1200 miles to noticably affect the engines performance, you have bigger problems with your engine than just needing an oil change.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman811
I'm surprised I've not been flamed by not posting pics. I still have the old oil, so might be able to do this. No promises, we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman811
No offense taken. I would no sooner be able to tell the "quality" of the oil than be able to determine contaminated well water. I'm just saying I can see a shiny, metallic sheen in the oil - and I'm 'assuming' its from the breakin period. To be unambiguous, I'm not saying that's what it is. Albeit, I'm highly suspicious.

"If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it just might be a duck ... "

Hey, if it gives you peace of mind, it's well worth it. Like you said, pics would be interesting, if they could even do it justice. I don't think I've ever seen oil that looked like metallic paint so it might be worth sending it to get tested just to find out what's up. Seems like it would have to have alot of particulates to cause it to "shine" like you say.

European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

i don't understand why some of you guys here are being cheap on oil when spending $40k for a car? It doesn't hurt to change it more than 1 time a yr. I changed at 3K, will do again at 9K, and 16K. After that, every 6 months/7.5K. Again, oil is a cheap insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhiep
i don't understand why some of you guys here are being cheap on oil when spending $40k for a car? It doesn't hurt to change it more than 1 time a yr. I changed at 3K, will do again at 9K, and 16K. After that, every 6 months/7.5K. Again, oil is a cheap insurance.
100% agree. If for nothing else, its worth it to me for the psychological effects! I treat my stuff right and it stays brand new the whole time I have it.... my motorcycle too!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

I don't think I'm necessarily being cheap. I think the full synthetic oils these days are lightyears more advanced than the standard oils used years ago when 3k-5k oil changes were recommended. I don't put a huge number of miles on my cars so I expect the 1 change a year will do fine. It'll probably be in the neighborhood of 10k miles. The fact that it's a 3 Liter engine with 7 quarts of oil (which is quite a bit compared to many cars) also gives me confidence.

European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhiep

One word: Lease!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Snowman,
I have seen oil that look like metallic paint on several occasions. Usually, it was during a break-in period with an engine that had cast piston rings and a rough honing job on the cylinder walls; a conventional cam & lifter; not pre-oiled sufficiently before initial start up; or casting flash from the block. These are things that, in my opinion, are common and don't lead to anything serious. However, I would change the oil! Although synthetics lubricate and handle heat much better than conventionals, all oils have similar abilities to protect moving parts by suspending debris; and that is limited to small carbon particles that are created by exhaust gases, not metallic pieces!!

Additionally, oil filters are never functional for the duration between changes. I would change the oil, run the car for a few days and re-check.
Contrary to a previous post, I do think you can tell a lot about a car by inspecting the oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71
Snowman,
I have seen oil that look like metallic paint on several occasions. Usually, it was during a break-in period with an engine that had cast piston rings and a rough honing job on the cylinder walls; a conventional cam & lifter; not pre-oiled sufficiently before initial start up; or casting flash from the block. These are things that, in my opinion, are common and don't lead to anything serious. However, I would change the oil! Although synthetics lubricate and handle heat much better than conventionals, all oils have similar abilities to protect moving parts by suspending debris; and that is limited to small carbon particles that are created by exhaust gases, not metallic pieces!!

Additionally, oil filters are never functional for the duration between changes. I would change the oil, run the car for a few days and re-check.
Contrary to a previous post, I do think you can tell a lot about a car by inspecting the oil.
Good call. Just because your car runs synthetic, it doesn't mean that it is invincible. People think that Synthetic oils are some magical fluid that defies the laws of physics and chemistry. Sure they do have favourable qualities to conventionals, but they are not alchemy!

My motto is: An engine has never suffered from running in fresh, clean oil. (They have, however, suffered from running in old, dirty oil).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good call. Just because your car runs synthetic, it doesn't mean that it is invincible. People think that Synthetic oils are some magical fluid that defies the laws of physics and chemistry. Sure they do have favourable qualities to conventionals, but they are not alchemy!

My motto is: An engine has never suffered from running in fresh, clean oil. (They have, however, suffered from running in old, dirty oil).
I never said synthetic oil was some miracle fluid but I did say it was much better than standard oil. While I think 15k miles is a bit optimistic by BMW I do think 7k-10k is perfectly reasonable.

European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I never said synthetic oil was some miracle fluid but I did say it was much better than standard oil. While I think 15k miles is a bit optimistic by BMW I do think 7k-10k is perfectly reasonable.
Sorry! Didn't mean to sound sarcastic and I wasn't pointing my comment directly at yourself.

I know that from looking at the Oil Analysis results that other people have done and recommendations from those results, the best move to make and the process that I actually did is this:

1. Do post-break in oil change (~2000km)
2. Do oil change 5000km later. (7000km - 7500km)
3. Do another oil change 5000 - 7500 km after that. (12000 - 15000km)
4. Do oil changes every 10000km - 12500km or at least once per year, preferrable once every 6 months, for life of car unless something happens to dictate more rapid intervals.

This is my own thoughts after studying oil analysis results from other E90s on this page. I am coming up on 20000 km so I will be looking at doing one now and then getting the free one or waiting until 25000km roles around and getting my free one and the doing every 10000 - 12500 km after that.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 08:28 AM   #18
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Epiphone3,

I think you are right on the money. When I had my '96 328is (wow, '96 seems so long ago) BMW called for an oil change every 10k; which I agree with because we all know about the 3000 mile oil change gimmick; a la Detroit!! When I got my '04 330ci, it jumped to 15k. Now I think the engineers at bimmer are much smarter than me but I don't think the technology in piston rings, valve stem seals and crankcase ventilation has been radical enough to warrant a 50% increase in the duration of an oil change. I think a lot of it has to do with creating a maintenance-free appeal to the average Joe, who never checks oil and runs 87 octane. Unfortunately, there are more of those than there are of us!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 04:50 AM   #19
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Yup, well said.
      08-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #20
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
100% agree. If for nothing else, its worth it to me for the psychological effects! I treat my stuff right and it stays brand new the whole time I have it.... my motorcycle too!
I would buy a used car from a guy like you