BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

135I vs 335I coupe

This past weekend we had our spring High Performance Driving Clinic on the Jefferson Circuit, another instructor and I showed up in our respective BMWs. I had my 135I and he had his 335I and interestingly we were assigned to the skid pad which meant we had a lot of time on the new Washington Circuit to further test our cars. As background we run in the same run group and are fairly competitive with each other in the Red group -- not competitive overall because we are stuck in with Cup Cars. We both have a similar racing background with SCCA; his experience in Sports Racers and Formula cars, and mine is in production and GT. The reason I mention this is to demonstrate that neither of us is vastly more experienced then the other and we are both older. Our cars are both totally stock on RFTs.

During the instructor lapping sessions we did some lead follow for comparison. He started out leading and after three laps we switched positions. The 135 was clearly quicker through both the twisty parts and on acceleration. There is no question both cars roll a lot; but, they are both able to get the power down and are totally predictable. The aids must be turned off or the car will not respond to throttle inputs with any kind of slip angle. The car rotates nicely under trail braking with the aids completely off. Oddly he complained of turbo lag and I did not have a problem with it. He was even having to balance the lag on the skid pad and I did not. Neither of our cars have been subjected to the boost killing, lag inducing dealer installed downgrade we have read about.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
There is no question both cars roll a lot; but, they are both able to get the power down and are totally predictable.
I think part of the reason for putting the power down so well is the softer suspension with the open diff.

I used to have a 330i ZHP and once I installed UUC sways, it was beautifully controlled, little roll, little understeer - but then I could feel the open diff a lot more. I don't think it was my imagination...

The issue is that one modification leads to another, and another etc. just to keep the car balanced. But it's very interesting to find out the 135i is quicker than the 335i in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Neither of our cars have been subjected to the boost killing, lag inducing dealer installed downgrade we have read about.
Which downgrade would that be so I make sure to avoid it?

Not like I would buy any performance upgrades besides the Performance Suspension from BMW, for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
ILMOSTRO
ilmostro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

What downgrade are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec693 View Post
Which downgrade would that be so I make sure to avoid it?

Not like I would buy any performance upgrades besides the Performance Suspension from BMW, for now.
Actually I don't know what the reflash is; but, it apparently has been delivered to some customers during regular maintenance. I cannot find the thread where it was discussed and I have searched a bit; but, I thought it was discussed here. The particular software 'upgrade' may have been superseded by a subsequent build; but, my recollection of the details is sketchy. There are three of us that normally run together the other two have 08 335Is and of course I have the 135I. I am sure we have all read about it; the result is turbo lag and drivability issues.

Maybe all then information surrounding software build 29.2.

Last edited by white911; 04-07-2009 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Build 29.2
Appreciate 0