BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Question for the Florida peopless

04-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: Its rather sexy

Question for the Florida peopless

So I have been down to Florida several times in the last 2 years or so, and I always wanted to take a trip to Key west, Now before i waste 4 hours of my life, besides the 7Mile bridge.. is there anything "amazing" about it? Friend down there told me that there is nothing but gay people and over priced restaurants, I plan on taking a trip down this summer, I want to, but from what people are telling it, its not so appealing, whats your opinion on key west??
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift90 View Post
So I have been down to Florida several times in the last 2 years or so, and I always wanted to take a trip to Key west, Now before i waste 4 hours of my life, besides the 7Mile bridge.. is there anything "amazing" about it? Friend down there told me that there is nothing but gay people and over priced restaurants, I plan on taking a trip down this summer, I want to, but from what people are telling it, its not so appealing, whats your opinion on key west??
I got married in Key West last November during Fantasy Fest. You are right, everything is expensive and it is a bit run down. I wouldn't go again unless it was during Fantasy Fest.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalm18 View Post
I got married in Key West last November during Fantasy Fest. You are right, everything is expensive and it is a bit run down. I wouldn't go again unless it was during Fantasy Fest.
What is this fantasy Fest? and congrats on the marriage bud, all the best
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
You must be young! Nothing wrong with that! Yes, Key West is known for having a lot of gay people. I am a gay chick myself and have been numerous times. It's really not gay GAY. I was actually disappointed with the "gayness" the first time I went; nothing like P-Town.

We always stay at an all lesbian place, which is NOT nice, but it's a trade-off. So I can't give any advice on where to stay.

It also depends on what you like and want to do.

Great fishing (both charter and from land) and snorkeling and diving, good food, relaxed atmosphere. There is kind of a quiet side of the island and a party side. You may consider staying at one of the upper keys if it's quiet ocean/diving time you're looking for.

Alligator alley could be fun to get your car up and running!

P.S. - FF is another story!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
You must be young! Nothing wrong with that! Yes, Key West is known for having a lot of gay people. I am a gay chick myself and have been numerous times. It's really not gay GAY. I was actually disappointed with the "gayness" the first time I went; nothing like P-Town.

We always stay at an all lesbian place, which is NOT nice, but it's a trade-off. So I can't give any advice on where to stay.

Great fishing (both charter and from land) and snorkeling and diving, good food, relaxed atmosphere. There is kind of a quiet side of the island and a party side. You may consider staying at one of the upper keys if it's quiet ocean/diving time you're looking for.

You must be Jamaican lol, I was born there, 1992 in Kingston.... Is key west a resort type environment, or a one day stay then go home?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

Quote:
You must be Jamaican lol, I was born there, 1992 in Kingston.... Is key west a resort type environment, or a one day stay then go home?
It depends on where you stay. We stayed at Casa Marina which was nice but it is located on the South side of the Island. All the action is on the North end of Duval, so we would have to take a cab on the way and we walked home everynight. Go during Fantasy Fest!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Be really careful about doing that, I drive the Alley about 20 times a year. State Troopers love hiding just on the other side of the little hills so you don't see them until you crest the top, by then its to late. Also the Alley runs through some Miccosukee Indian land so their police department camps out on the over pass to Big Cypress Swamp Reserve and use laser on the cars passing beneath.

As long as you do around 80-85 both the Troopers and the Indians will leave you alone. There are always people doing 95-100 that they are looking for.
      04-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
EpicE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V6 Mustang

DO NOT GO TO KEY WEST! My family and i are in the keys quite often being we have a boat... Last time i was at key west, tons of shops have closed, everything is kind of run down now and its overpriced touristy crap! Trust me take it from someone who knows
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE92 View Post
DO NOT GO TO KEY WEST! My family and i are in the keys quite often being we have a boat... Last time i was at key west, tons of shops have closed, everything is kind of run down now and its overpriced touristy crap! Trust me take it from someone who knows
Thank you, now I seriously do not want to go BUTT you saved me money and a trip to disappointment thank you kind sir
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

glad to know im not the only GLBT on the site
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I grew up in Key Largo and Islamorada. Stay the hell away from Key West. That place is a dump. There are a lot of gay people but they're mostly pretty cool. It's the city itself that sucks. It's filthy and there is a lot of petty crime. It's like a miniature New Orleans.
      04-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

true lies filmed the bridge scene there.

ahnulddd.

get fucked up and the keys are awesome. it's jsut a place to chill. get some shrooms or bud or something. it looks run down but it just adds charm imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
true lies filmed the bridge scene there.

ahnulddd.

get fucked up and the keys are awesome. it's jsut a place to chill. get some shrooms or bud or something. it looks run down but it just adds charm imo.
I like weed do it here and there, but shrooms.. yah im good... but im good...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm going for two days next week. I havent been in about 5years. I had a kick-ass time the last time I was there though. Its nothing spectacular IMO but I wouldnt tell you to stay the hell away from there. It is the southernmost point in the U.S. if I'm not mistaken.
      04-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I'm going for two days next week. I havent been in about 5years. I had a kick-ass time the last time I was there though. Its nothing spectacular IMO but I wouldnt tell you to stay the hell away from there. It is the southernmost point in the U.S. if I'm not mistaken.
That is what catches my eyes the most, the fact its the farthest point of America, but then again, if the people who have been there are telling me, also it seems to be a consistant trend of "stay away" or "Do not go" When you go, can you possible report back to me, (PM) on how the environment is?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #16
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Have you ever traveled to a Caribbean/Mexican/South African/Anywhereintheworld destination? Most of the time, once you leave the hotel and go explore, it's so poor and "run down" it makes you feel guilty. So, just make sure you have a nice place to go back to at the end of the day if that's your main worry. If not, then just go to Destin (gag).

P.S. - Yes, it's the southernmost point.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've been there a few times, and personally it's nothing exciting to me. However, I do think it's a place everyone should visit. There's a lot of history there, and you have to see it once. Get your picture by the big red buoy too!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
I'm Jamaican and have visited Key West. I suggest you pass. Not much to see there really.
      04-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
That is what catches my eyes the most, the fact its the farthest point of America, but then again, if the people who have been there are telling me, also it seems to be a consistant trend of "stay away" or "Do not go" When you go, can you possible report back to me, (PM) on how the environment is?
I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. I leave tommorow.
      04-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Key West is boring. I could care less about charming, run down, and some old fart playing a guitar. Go to south beach. thats fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
Key West is boring. I could care less about charming, run down, and some old fart playing a guitar.
LOL, you seriously just summed up Key West very accurately.