BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
WSU87
Rep
Drives:

Nurburgring Advice?

I plan to take my son & 135 on the 'ring this spring. Nothing fancy, just a few laps for fun. Anyone who's been on it have advice about how to make it through in one piece?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

what track experience do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
WSU87
Rep
Drives:

No track experience. I don't want to break any records (or anything else) on the track. Just a lap or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
PC Valkyrie
Very slow driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 & 135i & C55 AMG & 911 GT3

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2005 C55 AMG  [0.00]
1) Ideally, study any track you plan to go to so you have an idea about how many turns and your ideal racing line to best navigate them. For such a long track like the Ring, it may be impossible for you to really learn this in a few laps. The key principles to keep in mind to best navigate turns is to minimize the amount of turning, hitting the apex of each corner, and unwinding the steering wheel as fast as possible to minimize the turning radius as you exit.

2) The most common mistake novices make is not slowing enough before a turn and they just understeer off the track. To start off, it is always better to slow down enough to make sure you can turn the car in, then gradual throttle application as you enter the corner and with more and more throttle application as you exit the corner (when you unwind the steering wheel). For beginners, always think: "slow in, fast out".

3) Do almost all of your braking and downshifting in a straightline BEFORE you start turning in. As you get more advanced, you can brake later and later, and even trail brake a bit into the corner. Make sure you are in the proper gear to exit the corner before you actually enter the corner. Shifting in the middle of a corner can seriously upset the balance of the car unless you are perfect in rev matching.

4) Read the book "Going Faster" from the Skip Barber Racing school. I learned a lot from that.

5) Don't try to be hero. There are very long straights a at the Ring, meaning very high speeds can be attained. As beginner, just take it easy.
      04-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

In slow, out fast.
In fast, out backwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I drove my four laps (about $25/lap) cold. I didn't drive a racing line, I drove a hang to the right so you can pass me line. My laps were at 5:30 PM on a Tuesday in May, the last day of "Touristenfahrten" for a few days, and after an open weekend. There were a bajillion motorcycles that had just finished up, but they had only just opened for cars when I pulled out. I must have been in the first five.

Less traffic. Probably a better thing.

You aren't going to see me drop my new BMW into the concrete slabs of the Schwalbenschwanz, but maybe you want to try.

If you really want to drive a racing line on a track that long, I'd plan for a few days. For me, just passing through, driving with my eyes and hands was plenty.

This is a good guide, in case you haven't seen it. I didn't read it. Probably just as well since I drove counter-clockwise. I always have trouble with that left right thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
In slow, out fast.
In fast, out backwards.
Saw about 6 Porsches fulfill that fortune when I was there, two rather catastrophically into the barriers. A 911 Turbo and a GT3.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
In slow, out fast.
In fast, out backwards.
No, you've got it wrong. It's, "Fast in, Fast out"

My advice? Ask an experienced Ringer for a ride first. Most any regular will be more than happy to take you. This way, you'll at least have an idea of what it's like out there (traffic, speeds, passing rules, etc) before you go out. After that, go for it! Just be careful, check your mirrors frequently, and basically just use common sense. It's really not that big of a deal; I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you have any desire to go fast, I'd suggest playing the PS2 game GT4 to learn the track. The track in that game is darn close to the real thing.

Also be sure to check out the old Castle in the middle of the track, it's worth the walk from Nurburg. And, the drive from Nurburg to Adenau inside the track is quite fun

Have fun man, I'm jealous...!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Schneller!
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi & 2010 X535i

...watch your mirrors for the 'heroes' coming from behind
      04-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
In slow, out fast.
In fast, out backwards.
there is no out when you go in too fast. but thats why they have tow trucks.
      04-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Saw about 6 Porsches fulfill that fortune when I was there, two rather catastrophically into the barriers. A 911 Turbo and a GT3.
Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you can drive it haha
      05-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
AnooooOH
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: M235i

you`ve chosen one of the hardest tracks in the world.
It`ll be a blast to driver there!!

MANHART MH2 400 Partout
FS: MANHART MHtronik Tuning Box
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post18819345
Appreciate 0