BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

BPM

03-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Denver folks, anybody out playing in the snow?

Went to and from work today, pretty bad out there. All I can say is Nokian FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

You took your M out today? I could see in the AM, it was dry when I went to work, but the ride home... whew. I closed the office at noon and picked up my wife (drove her SUV)... was an incredible white out.

So how did she perform in the snow? Rode on top or more like a plow?
What snows are you riding on? Good traction/braking? Planning for next year...

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
What do you think?:

Those are Pirelli Soto Force IIs. They're designed for place like Denver where you have a wide variety of winter conditions, from snow to cold and wet. Versus the blizzaks they're much better in the dry, but not as good in the deep stuff. I think they're a great choice for the front range, UNLESS you plan to drive up the mountain to ski regularly, then you'll probably want the Blizzaks.

The Pirellis are great on ice and light snow. They pulled me up the grade to the top of this garage at low speed, so they'll be fine on plowed snow just about anywhere.
Attached Images

Last edited by dcstep; 03-26-2009 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCane View Post
You took your M out today? I could see in the AM, it was dry when I went to work, but the ride home... whew. I closed the office at noon and picked up my wife (drove her SUV)... was an incredible white out.

So how did she perform in the snow? Rode on top or more like a plow?
What snows are you riding on? Good traction/braking? Planning for next year...
All the way, it is my year round car, mountains, bad weather and all. It was pretty bad driving in to work (heading west) but really bad coming home. A friend followed me in his X5 and couldn't believe it - I had more traction than he did. In fact, he said looking from behind at my car compared to those next to me that mine had a huge roostertail of snow - the tires were "pumping" so much out of the way. I am on Nokian Hakkapelitta R's on the OEM 18' wheels. They are really soft (so really low grip in the dry) but man do they grip. Blow away the Blizzak, Wintersport M3s, and other snows I've had.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
What do you think?
That's what I'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
All the way, it is my year round car, mountains, bad weather and all. It was pretty bad driving in to work (heading west) but really bad coming home. A friend followed me in his X5 and couldn't believe it - I had more traction than he did. In fact, he said looking from behind at my car compared to those next to me that mine had a huge roostertail of snow - the tires were "pumping" so much out of the way. I am on Nokian Hakkapelitta R's on the OEM 18' wheels. They are really soft (so really low grip in the dry) but man do they grip. Blow away the Blizzak, Wintersport M3s, and other snows I've had.
What are those snow tires?

Mine were throwing rooster tails also, particularly when I went up that ramp with 5" of unplowed snow. I kept a staggard setup to maximize dry performance. In the deep snow, it'd be good to be a little narrower in the back, but I wanted the better dry performance.

Backing out I had to turn the DSC off for a second to rock the car over a big pile of snow, but that was no problem, even from a dead stop. On the road I keep the DSC fully on.

You gotta have the right equipment. The dry tires don't even work when it gets cold, much less when there's snow or ice on the ground.

Dave
      03-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
That's what I'm talking about!
Great, but what happened with you today...

Any pics?
      03-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No pics, was out in it for a few hours and wasn't up for the crappy, wet iphone pic.

Not sure what you meant by your question above, but the tires are Nokian Hakkas. Nokian is a Finnish company that makes the best snow tires IMO, tried them all and none compare to these. The downside is that they are super squishy but I wanted max performance. In 245 width all around so i can rotate for next winter.

Continue to really like MDM for snow conditions when a little more slip is needed. The whole DSC system is just light years better than my E46.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
jamesq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 6 Spd

My Little Boy Blue stayed in the garage all day. I caught a ride in with a neighbor to work. I have the rims and TPMS sensors but I have to wait until September for the next production run of Blizzaks....
      08-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
nguyenbk
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SG E92 w/ Fox Red

i got some blizzaks for my stock 19"s, hope they wont let me down. how deep have you guys been in but still have good traction?
09 E92 | Space Gray/Fox Red | 19" Matte Black VMR V710 | Vorsteiner CF Front Lip | IND Challenge Carbon Fiber Diffuser | INDs Side Markers & Reflectors | RPI Scoops | Matte Black Kidney Grills| ActiveAutowerkes Signature Exhaust & Filter | Valentine 1 Radar | MTEC 6000K Lights | Camaross305 HID Kit | RemoteKEY+ | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 12" Alpine Type-X | 5% Ceramic Tint |
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

About 12-18" a few years ago in my E46M, seriously. Over the last winter with this car, no trouble with 5-8", at some point though you just start plowing with the airdam,
Appreciate 0