E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Replacing Bridgestone Potenza 255/35 R18 RE050A *Run Flat*

07-06-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
RostokMcSpoons
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i M-Sport

Replacing Bridgestone Potenza 255/35 R18 RE050A *Run Flat*

Hi,

I've got a real problem locating a replacement tyre... I've got one with a nail in it, luckily it loses pressure relatively slowly and my wife doesn't have to do more than a few miles a day. Thank gawd for that, cos no-one has stock of these tyres anywhere!

EventTyres are selling a Potenza of the same spec except there's is named "255/35 R18 [90Y] Bridgestone - Potenza RE050 EZ RFT". Note the 'EZ' and the fact that the speed rating is Y whereas the BMW fitted tyres are W rated. I really don't know if this rules 'em out as an option - I'm waiting on a reply from Event right now.

The other alternative is to go for some non run-flat tyres. Now BMW are insistent that it's dangerous to mix'n'match normal and RFT's even on different axles - is that really true?

A seemingly extreme alternative is to replace the whole lot - it seems Falken tyres can be had for £200 for the four - that's cheaper than a single RFT tyre! I might get a more compliant ride out of it too... and I could perhaps sell the 3 good part-worn tyres on eBay - as there's such a shortage of 'em, they must be worth something to someone who's in similar desperation ;-/

However, being something of a noob on these matters - are the rims normal, or are they special in some way that means I can only put RFT's on them?
ANd what do I do if I have a puncture? Can I buy a space saver wheel from somewhere? Or should I just use the get-you-home foam aerosol... or BMW's Emergency service?

What do you guys recommend???

thanks in advance,

Ross
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Can your dealer not source the tyre?

I wouldn’t go near a set of £200 tyres IMHO, they are for poor people.

I also wouldn’t worry too much about putting one different tyre on your car as long as the tread pattern isn’t completely different.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
RostokMcSpoons
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman
Can your dealer not source the tyre?

I wouldn’t go near a set of £200 tyres IMHO, they are for poor people.

I also wouldn’t worry too much about putting one different tyre on your car as long as the tread pattern isn’t completely different.

Actually the Falkens came out at £340 for the four, but I've not seen anyone have a bad word to say about them on any forums I've searched.

BMW won't sanction me changing to normal tyres - they say the car's ABS and sensors are all set for RFT's, also changing from BMW approved tyres may affect insurance and the DVLA as I'm 'modifying' my car

My BMW dealer has Michelin Sport RFT's in stock, they seem to be about the only ones left in the country - a 'bargain' at £578 for the two (cos they won't sanction mismatched tyres on the same axle either, so I've got to swap both, even though the other tyre still has 4mm of tread to go before it's illegal). I've just given them the go-ahead to put them on cos I'm getting very very bored with phoning around
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostokMcSpoons
Actually the Falkens came out at £340 for the four, but I've not seen anyone have a bad word to say about them on any forums I've searched.

BMW won't sanction me changing to normal tyres - they say the car's ABS and sensors are all set for RFT's, also changing from BMW approved tyres may affect insurance and the DVLA as I'm 'modifying' my car

My BMW dealer has Michelin Sport RFT's in stock, they seem to be about the only ones left in the country - a 'bargain' at £578 for the two (cos they won't sanction mismatched tyres on the same axle either, so I've got to swap both, even though the other tyre still has 4mm of tread to go before it's illegal). I've just given them the go-ahead to put them on cos I'm getting very very bored with phoning around
Replacing your RFT's with regular radials is no more modifying your car than replacing the tires when they are worn out. DVLA is interested in modifications that affect the appearance and power, i.e., new paint color (it must match the V5c) or drivetrain (engine size matches the V5c). Insurance shouldn't be affected with different tires either but a new color or modification to the performance that would put it into a higher insurance band certainly would.

I can see BMW's argument against having a mixed set. The sidewall of the RFT is much stiffer than radials and the cornering, ride, and overall handling would be affected, especially if on the same axle. It was the same argument between bias-ply tires and radials. You could, in a pinch, put them together but the handling was affected. You could put bias-ply on the front and radial on the back -- better to have the bias on the back, though.

You also don't want a different size tires on opposite sides of the car. For one, the car won't handle properly. The sensors such as ABS, DTC, and FTM won't work properly. The OBC is expecting certain feedback from the sensors and a mixture it isn't expecting would screw with its mind. Kind of like when you have one plugged ear...you tend to get dizzy because the inner ear on one side is telling the brain something different than the inner ear on the other side. You certainly don't want your OBC getting sick on you.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Not much use to you right now, Ross, but perhaps for next time- tyre insurance.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
RostokMcSpoons
Private
Rep

Thanks guys.

The more I think about it the more I know I'm going to regret falling for that BMW spiel and not going for normal tyres. I imagine the next time I get a puncture it seems I'm destined to have to hunt around to get another tyre - a dealer told me they'll always be in short supply so best to buy a couple and keep them in the garage!
As for the RAC insurance - yes that's interesting - but I don't suppose they would let me do that (keep spares). So imagine - the only RFT's available are Bridgestone - I have to replace both Michelins to get a pair - would the insurance pay for two tyres when only one punctured? I doubt it
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks guys.

The more I think about it the more I know I'm going to regret falling for that BMW spiel and not going for normal tyres. I imagine the next time I get a puncture it seems I'm destined to have to hunt around to get another tyre - a dealer told me they'll always be in short supply so best to buy a couple and keep them in the garage!
As for the RAC insurance - yes that's interesting - but I don't suppose they would let me do that (keep spares). So imagine - the only RFT's available are Bridgestone - I have to replace both Michelins to get a pair - would the insurance pay for two tyres when only one punctured? I doubt it
They would if that second one somehow "managed to acquire a puncture" also!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:

"255/35 R18 [90Y] Bridgestone - Potenza RE050 EZ RFT". Note the 'EZ' and the fact that the speed rating is Y whereas the BMW fitted tyres are W rated....
Is the 90'Y' the speed rating??

I thought the 'Z' as in 225/35 'Z'R18 was the speed rating?

Confused?!?
      07-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
Is the 90'Y' the speed rating??

I thought the 'Z' as in 225/35 'Z'R18 was the speed rating?

Confused?!?
More info here:

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Additional information: Ever wonder what the "aspect ratio" is? It's the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width of the tread. For example, a 225/35 has a sidewall of 79 mm or a wee tad more than three inches.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
More info here:

Viv
Ah, but my tires say: (PS2 RFT's)

255/35 ZR18 90 Y

Confused again! That seems not to fit the size chart in your reply?
      07-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
Ah, but my tires say: (PS2 RFT's)

255/35 ZR18 90 Y

Confused again! That seems not to fit the size chart in your reply?
The above info is from the US e90 manual.

After looking at a few UK sites, 330m, it looks like that particular tyre has:

-a nominal width of 255mm
-an aspect ratio of 35%
-rim diameter of 18"
-a load index of 90 (=600kg load capacity at max speed)
-max speed capability of 240-300 km/h (150-190 mph)

All the best.

Viv

PS- sign up for UK2: The Second UK Meet NOW!

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #13
lemanbluey
very happy new member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: le man blue 320d m sport

Garage List
Unhappy run flat woes

i also had a nail in my rear offside took it to dealer and took them three days(this did include weekend) to source new tyre at £180 incl vat i had also been advised not to drive the the car so had to leave at the dealer picked up car it had also been valeted not your usaul kwik fit fitter service but i think it was still a bit expensive
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
I recommend you fix the puncture at your dealer or at a tire installation store. We do it all the time in the states. Good luck!
      08-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
normanh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320si

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:

Yor dealer is a liar, I've never heard such a load of crap, hows changing a tyre make modifying your car, as for the sensors they only pick up a difference in tyre pressure ON ANY TYRE RF or not I'll be changing mine when they're done. Ask him for a list of approved tyre's and at 580 for two no wonder he's spinning this crap
Sorry mate but I'd be rolling around the showroom if I was told that either with him in an armlock or laughing.
      09-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #16
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

I have just acquired a pressure warning... I got it yesterday on the M4, so pulled of at service to check the (now heated) tyre pressures. All seemed normal, going to check it again now and drive to the dealer... but with costs being so high, I can't afford a new tyre at over £200. Hmm... might be a fault instead. Better go check and see if I have a deflated tyre now.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i had the same, one tyre neeed replacing due to nail, (bloody nails) and the STEAler said i needed to replace both rears as there were illegal, do they think we dont check our own cars?

there was fook all wrong with the other rear
      09-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #18
hmi1750
Major
Rep

well, I just reset the pressure warning and it has not come on so far today, doing a 50miles round trip later, so will see then. Also pressure on all tyres is still what I inflated it to 2 weeks ago.

Strange! But thankful for not needing a new tyre!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #19
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

My dealer fitted my non RFT for me

Had 2 punctures last week (building sites)

Cost £25 to fix the pair

M/Mobility system in the boot
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #20
hmi1750
Major
Rep

that is what I am considering, as soon as I can "afford" 19" wheels, then get some decent OEM ones with non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #21
jasongtr
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE (Manual)

Garage List
2005 330i SE  [0.00]
only had my car for a week but i cannot get used to the twitchy feeling you get with rft, they tramline on dodgy roads and simply put i hate them, when i can afford 18-19s with non rft i will change them and keep the std wheels and tyres for when i change the car in a few years time
Appreciate 0