Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > run-flat downtime?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

run-flat downtime?

Yes, more run-flat talk. I apologize ahead of time. Not a debate, just have some questions.

I'm just curious what most people do as soon as they get a slow leak/flat. Traditionally i've always just pulled into a tire shop which i'm usually able to get to in 10-25 minutes (also depends on severity of leak of course). It seems to me that the downtime that it takes to get back on the road is much longer with the run-flats (lets assume they are stocked). Is this true to any extent?

My goal is to be back on the road as soon as possible. 30-60 min. deviation to and from a tire shop is fine. It seems once people here get a flat on a run-flat their whole day seems over/ruined. Basically, if I have a few passengers with me and realize I have a nail and a slow leak what are we talking here? Driving all the way to a dealer? I assume I will also need to replace the tire if I drove on it flat for a while regardless if it could be pluged/patched, is this correct?

I just hear people driving home or to dealers and I think that's a shame. What happen to my whole day of plans.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Run-flat down time

I had a slow leak from a 1/4" lag bolt on a recent 10-day road trip in the finger lakes region of NY. After calling on BMW Assist, which was useless, I found a tire dealer and had the tire patched (right rear) in about 40 minutes. Total down time was about an hour and a half, including the 35 minute exercise with BMW Assist (did I say it was useless). Don't believe what BMW says about not fixing runflats. They are all just tires. In case of emergency, I keep a plug kit in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY
I had a slow leak from a 1/4" lag bolt on a recent 10-day road trip in the finger lakes region of NY. After calling on BMW Assist, which was useless, I found a tire dealer and had the tire patched (right rear) in about 40 minutes. Total down time was about an hour and a half, including the 35 minute exercise with BMW Assist (did I say it was useless). Don't believe what BMW says about not fixing runflats. They are all just tires. In case of emergency, I keep a plug kit in the trunk.
I have a slow leak too. I've been putting off repairing it because I'm worried about damage to the rims in the process.

Any issues with your repair?
Was the tire removed from the rim for the repair?
Can you recommend a reliable place to have it done?

Sorry for all the ?

Here's a another runflat rant at The Truth About Cars site.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1754
Attached Images

07-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Run-Flat Down Time

The place I went to had a bit of trouble getting the tire off the rim. The small aspect side walls combined with the extra stiffness of the run flat design makes it a bit difficult. No rim damage; a good clean fix. Any decent tire shop knows how to patch a tire from the inside. This was a Goodyear dealer.

I'd recommend a dealer that sells run-flats, just to make sure they have the proper equipment to get the tire off the wheel. I was out of town in this instance, so I was at the mercy of the first shop I found. Goodyear has been making run-flats for the Vette for years, so I figured this shop knew what they were doing. The only issue I had was the repair tech was going to jack my car up using the rear control arm (a no-no). I made sure he used the lifting point on the rocker panel. Make sure they use a block of wood between the plastic lifting point on the car and the dish of the floor jack, because otherwise the dish of the jack will dig into the rocker panel. The lifting point on the E90 is meant to fit with the optional BMW jack, or a foot pad on a lift. Also, make sure they don't lift the rear by the differential! Its not meant to take the weight of the car like a steel solid axle can.

After 4,000 miles I really like the Bridgestones that came on my car (I have the sport package). They are awsome in the rain!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Thanks,

I like the tires too, I had non RFT winters on this year and although the car felt different in a good way, I still like the way the Bridgestones make the car feel planted to the ground, just stay away from any serious bumps or potholes, it feels like a giant hammer just hit your car. If $$$ wasnt an issue I would dump the runflats for that reason.
      07-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Many folks do not realized how stiff the side wall on RFT is. If you get a slow leak, you can still drive on it for miles (everyone should RTFM). Because the sidewall is so stiff, you can drive it for a certain number of mile without damage and have the tire patch.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
Many folks do not realized how stiff the side wall on RFT is. If you get a slow leak, you can still drive on it for miles (everyone should RTFM). Because the sidewall is so stiff, you can drive it for a certain number of mile without damage and have the tire patch.
Yes, people have said they were able to patch run-flats assuming the puncture does not compromise the tire (sidewall, etc.). I like the idea of run-flats but for me it's negated if I am told I have to to replace the tire. Of course there is no question about them in an emergency but in the case i'm bringing up (minor puncture) wouldn't traditional tires be more appropriate.

I'm just trying to understand run-flats more. By driving on the run-flat while the tire has lost pressure, does that make it more likely that I will be told the tire needs replacing?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0