E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tranmission slam for E90 328i 6AT Steptronic

02-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
fongph
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Thumbs down Tranmission slam for E90 328i 6AT Steptronic

Hi,

I wonder if anybody has experienced the "slam" or "bang" symptom when acclerating from a stop or decelerating and accelerating again. I don't know if it is a GM transmission thing; I have done some research on this issue and it turned out it is infamous for E60 and some 7 series. I can't seem to fine anything in particular to E9x though. my car is a 08 and it only has 4000 miles on it. I have experienced 5-6 times out of 20 times that I tried to accelerate rapidly. I think it got worse depends on how quick I want to accelerate. You will feel that some part of your drivetrain, mostly from transmission is hitting a "wall" so a slam / bang should best describe it. It is not metallic sound. For your information, all occurence of Slams/ Bangs were all when I was driving in "D" mode. The loudest slam I have had is when I try to make a quick left turn to beat the oncoming traffic so I floored it and "BANG" that I almost think I hit something. Correct me if I can wrong, I think in "D" mode the gear stays in 2nd and the attempt to accelerate rapidly requires a downshift into 1st and the transmission slam is indeed a 2->1 downshift harshness problem during the kick down process, right? I didn't have that problem in my E46 325i as I can remember. Please chime in for all 6AT Steptronic E90 owners. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
If it's only got 4k miles on it, take it to the dealer for warranty repair. Definitely doesn't sound normal.
2009 Merc C-350: AMG package, loaded
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Not normal, take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
To the dealer you go!
      02-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Take it to the dealer, but trust me, they will tell you it's normal. I Promise.

I had the same problem with an 08' 328xi. I was back and forth from the dealer 6 times in the 5 months I had the car. The transmission software blows BIG TIME, and you can have all the updates and transmission resets in the world and it won't fix the issue.

I ended up doing a trade assist after contacting BMW NA. After a field engineer came in to give the approval, I was given another brand new 328 this past June. This one works better but is still not perfect.

If you are not having any other issues (which I WAS having many other issues besides the one you are describing) then I would not bank on the dealer doing anything about it....I'm not trying to discourage you, but I am just being honest from what happened at my dealer - I feel all dealers are this way (maybe I'm wrong).

But all in all, best of luck to you with figuring out the issue. Definitley keep us updated and make sure YOU STAY ON THE DEALERS ASS about it!

2011 BMW 328i X-drive Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongph View Post
Hi,

I wonder if anybody has experienced the "slam" or "bang" symptom when acclerating from a stop or decelerating and accelerating again. I don't know if it is a GM transmission thing; I have done some research on this issue and it turned out it is infamous for E60 and some 7 series. I can't seem to fine anything in particular to E9x though. my car is a 08 and it only has 4000 miles on it. I have experienced 5-6 times out of 20 times that I tried to accelerate rapidly. I think it got worse depends on how quick I want to accelerate. You will feel that some part of your drivetrain, mostly from transmission is hitting a "wall" so a slam / bang should best describe it. It is not metallic sound. For your information, all occurence of Slams/ Bangs were all when I was driving in "D" mode. The loudest slam I have had is when I try to make a quick left turn to beat the oncoming traffic so I floored it and "BANG" that I almost think I hit something. Correct me if I can wrong, I think in "D" mode the gear stays in 2nd and the attempt to accelerate rapidly requires a downshift into 1st and the transmission slam is indeed a 2->1 downshift harshness problem during the kick down process, right? I didn't have that problem in my E46 325i as I can remember. Please chime in for all 6AT Steptronic E90 owners. Thanks
I hate to tell you, but its very normal. That's why I got rid of my 328xi You'll find many of my original posts on this issue at Bimmerforums. I know of another forum member who got a trade assist out of the car and into a 335i because of these same reasons

Here is an editorial response from Roundel magazine January 2009 issue, page 105, on the 328 tranny.

" You have described normal vehicle function with the GM 6 automatic transmission, which is, without question, the worst-performing BMW automatic transmission I have ever tested , dragging the "automatics suck" paradigm to new depths of misery. The solution would have been to order the car with the preferred manual gearbox."

One other point it's mostly the xi version of the 328 AT's that basically suck. The "i" versions are not perfect but seem better and the 335i's are wonderful, hate to rub it in.....

Last edited by Christos; 02-17-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0