BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
nkweisberg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Le Mans Blue / Bamboo

brake pads

I am looking for a good pad for regular track use and to keep on as a daily driver. Has anybody tracked the Ferodo DS2500's, Hawk HT10's or Pagids on their M3? I believe Hawk currently only makes Front pads for our OEM calipers. If you have used the Hawks have you kept the rear pads stock or used something else. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkweisberg View Post
I am looking for a good pad for regular track use and to keep on as a daily driver. Has anybody tracked the Ferodo DS2500's, Hawk HT10's or Pagids on their M3? I believe Hawk currently only makes Front pads for our OEM calipers. If you have used the Hawks have you kept the rear pads stock or used something else. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Current situation is not ideal, but hopefully will change soon. PFC01s F/R are supposed to be available very soon.

I have HT10s (Front) and DS2500 (rear) on the car right now in prep for a track weekend. They are noisy, as expected

Neither pad has a bite when cold.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Pagid RS-19 Yellow pads are available and will work ok "the day after" when cold. However, they're noisy (really noisy) and grabby until they warm up. On the track they're excellent.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
nkweisberg
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.

JML educate me on the PFC01's. I'm not familiar with that pad. Is it a performance friction pad??? When are they supposed to be out???
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
PF-01s are a high friction endurance racing pad that works tremendously well as a regular track day pad. I've even run them on the street for extended periods. They work very well even when cold (PA winter). They are a bit touchy and make a lot of noise when used on the street. I seem to remember the noise not being consistent on the street, though. But when they were loud, they were embarassingly loud. Every car on all four corners of a stop light will be looking at you like you are some kind of weirdo when you come to a stop. They scream.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
PF-01s are a high friction endurance racing pad that works tremendously well as a regular track day pad. I've even run them on the street for extended periods. They work very well even when cold (PA winter). They are a bit touchy and make a lot of noise when used on the street. I seem to remember the noise not being consistent on the street, though. But when they were loud, they were embarassingly loud. Every car on all four corners of a stop light will be looking at you like you are some kind of weirdo when you come to a stop. They scream.
I used to use these on all four corners of my E39 M5 with Stoptech fronts and stock rears and they were superb. For braking power and modulation, they're remarkable. I never had a noise problem either, but YMMV.

The only problem is that PFC-01's create corrosive dust so you have to clean your wheels carefully and keep them clean when you have the pads on the car. If you don't you risk getting "cementite" damage - those hard crusty spots that cut right into the finish and won't come off without a scraper. I solved the wheel damage problem by smearing Vaseline on my track rims in the spring and rubbing it off when it was caked with dust in the fall - the rims came through unblemished although they looked awful for most of the year with a heavy coat of dust on them.

The RS-19's are not as easy a pad to drive with, but they last and the dust isn't corrosive. I'd prefer the PFC-01's but they need to come off between track days. The RS-19's can stay on the car through the season. I've been happy with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
jml
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
I used to use these on all four corners of my E39 M5 with Stoptech fronts and stock rears and they were superb. For braking power and modulation, they're remarkable. I never had a noise problem either, but YMMV.

The only problem is that PFC-01's create corrosive dust so you have to clean your wheels carefully and keep them clean when you have the pads on the car. If you don't you risk getting "cementite" damage - those hard crusty spots that cut right into the finish and won't come off without a scraper. I solved the wheel damage problem by smearing Vaseline on my track rims in the spring and rubbing it off when it was caked with dust in the fall - the rims came through unblemished although they looked awful for most of the year with a heavy coat of dust on them.

The RS-19's are not as easy a pad to drive with, but they last and the dust isn't corrosive. I'd prefer the PFC-01's but they need to come off between track days. The RS-19's can stay on the car through the season. I've been happy with them so far.
Great data
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
jml
Major
Rep

First time on the track using HT10s front and DS2500 rear and SRF fluid. With NT-01 tires, this thing stops far better than my E46 ever did with a BBK - likely due to the mechanical bias on the Brembo GT kits being a little too front heavy.

They work well enough to tide me over until DTC70s or PFC01s become avail.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
nkweisberg
Private
United_States
Rep

JML,
So are you are keeping the HT10/DS2500's on the car full time? If you leave these on and use as your daily driver please update us on how livable this combo is. Prime questions are how well they stop when cold and how noisy they are? Thanks for providing the updates on these pads. You have gotten me thinking about this combo myself!
N
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
jml
Major
Rep

Quote:
JML,
So are you are keeping the HT10/DS2500's on the car full time? If you leave these on and use as your daily driver please update us on how livable this combo is. Prime questions are how well they stop when cold and how noisy they are? Thanks for providing the updates on these pads. You have gotten me thinking about this combo myself!
N
Had them on the car for a week driving to and from work. It stops reasonably well when cold, but they are *very* noisy and dusty.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
snook
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90m3, 2500hd, 95ltw

i need some No dust street pads....pfc making any?