E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Technical problems

06-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Technical questions

Last edited by RMG; 04-10-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Escalate the problems to BMWUSA. Insist that the SA escalate and give you a copy of whatever they file. Honestly, it sounds like they are just being lazy - especially with the steering wheel. If they give you trouble, contact BMWUSA yourself. Don't expect much from them either - but at least it will be documented. Get the names of people you speak with.

You might want to be tolerant for a bit on the engine idle... let her get some miles on it and see if it smooths out - but still document the complaint. My $.02

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
bwdearman
Brett Dearman - Retired Über-geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 - White 330i

Issue #1 sounds pretty mysterious. I mean, it's certainly true that an extreme road crown (or adverse cambre as they say in the U.K.) can cause your steering wheel to seem off center, but it shouldn't be the same on every road you drive on. How does it behave in say a perfectly flat parking lot? Does it pull to right or to the left? A solid impact with a significant curb and wreck havoc on your alignment. Is it possible your car smacked something on its way to your dealer's parking lot?

As far as Issue #2 is concerned, there may be a easy explaination for that. I've actually experienced the same condition on other cars. What happens is when the weather is hot (which is about 10 months out of the year here in Houston, Texas), the A/C will engage and disengage periodically in order to keep the refrigerant in the system at the right pressure. That alone can cause a "shudder" in the engine compartment. What I've experienced is when the A/C is engaged, merely putting the car in Drive can nearly kill the engine (assuming yours has an automatic tranny). Granted, this scenario is usually associated with poorly engineered and/or poorly maintained autos, and I've never experienced it with my E90. This is the first BMW I've ever owned with A/C, so I can't say it's a "common anomaly" among BMW's. BTW: I have a manual transmission which may help eliminate any of these symptoms, but there's no doubt the A/C is working hard all the time so if I had the same problem, I'd know it.

My two cents worth...

bd
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Prblm #2...happens to me sometimes
I think is the Gas here...just a thought

Did you inspect the car during re-delivery from ED? (check all tires, damages..etc)

Which Dealer? I'm in the boston area too

Last edited by ska///235i; 06-19-2006 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdearman
As far as Issue #2 is concerned, there may be a easy explaination for that. I've actually experienced the same condition on other cars. What happens is when the weather is hot (which is about 10 months out of the year here in Houston, Texas), the A/C will engage and disengage periodically in order to keep the refrigerant in the system at the right pressure. That alone can cause a "shudder" in the engine compartment. What I've experienced is when the A/C is engaged, merely putting the car in Drive can nearly kill the engine (assuming yours has an automatic tranny). Granted, this scenario is usually associated with poorly engineered and/or poorly maintained autos, and I've never experienced it with my E90. This is the first BMW I've ever owned with A/C, so I can't say it's a "common anomaly" among BMW's. BTW: I have a manual transmission which may help eliminate any of these symptoms, but there's no doubt the A/C is working hard all the time so if I had the same problem, I'd know it.
My old E36 and 46 were shocking with the A/C on. I resisted using the AC on those cars. My E90 is just as smooth with the same power/torque delivery (seat of pants dyno) with the AC on or off. Spectacular!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Last edited by RMG; 04-10-2011 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0