BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Possible remap issue ?

I have noticed this a couple of times. Been driving under 15 mph in 2nd, put foot down and nothing.... for about half a second the car doesn't respond then it picks up as normal. Doesn't do it every time but am beginning to notice it.

I have only noticed this after the Evolve remap, the SSTT/ Superchips never did this.

Perhaps I am being too harsh, it could be a fuel pump issue but would like to know from anyone else with a remap if they see similar issues.
      01-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Do you mean doesn't respond at all or more like a normal response before coming on boost?

If the former, then something definitely seems off. Could be the remap or a variety of things I guess.

If the latter, then that's what I'd expect anyway as boost wouldn't be coming on so low in the rev range anyway I'd assume. I'm not even sure how the SSTT could have got around that.

I suppose Moff could do an apples for apples comparison as he's got an SSTT hasn't he? Could do a 15mph roll in second and nail it to assess response
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

It's like it continues rolling at 15mph for half a second with no acceleration with foot to the floor, then it picks up. Feels as if I caught the car having a snooze then it suddenly bursts into life.
      01-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

It's definitely worth checking. I've caught mine off boost in 2nd or 3rd at low revs and it does almost feel like it's not accelerating as you're so used to the surge you feel if the turbos are doing their stuff.

On the surface it just sounds like a bit of lag, which is unavoidable in any turbo car really, even ours with very small ones. Have a check to see what revs you're doing at 15mph and do a couple tests, upping the revs by 500rpm say each time and compare the response. Keep an eye on the revs when you nail it as well to see if there's any movement before the surge comes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Good point re the revs, will take it out this weekend to some quiet back roads and floor it to see what happens.
      01-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
I have noticed this a couple of times. Been driving under 15 mph in 2nd, put foot down and nothing.... for about half a second the car doesn't respond then it picks up as normal. Doesn't do it every time but am beginning to notice it.

I have only noticed this after the Evolve remap, the SSTT/ Superchips never did this.

Perhaps I am being too harsh, it could be a fuel pump issue but would like to know from anyone else with a remap if they see similar issues.

esscolab,

I'm running SSTT and apart from the car being a bit edgier at slow speeds, when I floor the throttle, even at just over 700 rpm in 1,2 or 3rd gear the car very quickly comes on boost and by ~1500 rpm is really pulling hard. Got to say I'm very impressed with SSTT - especially with Tesco 99 fuel and the K&N drop-in.

With regards your issue, I'd take your car back to Evolve. Most tuning companies offer so-called "updates". It may be that the cold weather we are currently experiencing is effecting how the flashed ECU responds to throttle openings on/off boost. For example, I know JB3 v1.2 has been updated to reduce CEL (check engine light) codes which occurred with a lot of users during the cold weather in the US.

Just my 10 pence worth. Other than that could be many things, fuel pump, poor octane fuel or loose intercooling plumbing.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

No issues with my Evolve map at all - not much help esscolab, but I don't think it's a generic issue...
      01-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
esscolab,

I'm running SSTT and apart from the car being a bit edgier at slow speeds, when I floor the throttle, even at just over 700 rpm in 1,2 or 3rd gear the car very quickly comes on boost and by ~1500 rpm is really pulling hard. Got to say I'm very impressed with SSTT - especially with Tesco 99 fuel and the K&N drop-in.

With regards your issue, I'd take your car back to Evolve. Most tuning companies offer so-called "updates". It may be that the cold weather we are currently experiencing is effecting how the flashed ECU responds to throttle openings on/off boost. For example, I know JB3 v1.2 has been updated to reduce CEL (check engine light) codes which occurred with a lot of users during the cold weather in the US.

Just my 10 pence worth. Other than that could be many things, fuel pump, poor octane fuel or loose intercooling plumbing.

Mad.
Just curious to see if you think the dealer will detect that you have added the SSTT when you take the car in even if you have removed it?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

The SSTT is really hard to see unless you are working underneath the car. If you have the stock intake it's kind of underneath this, there's no way of spotting it from above. When I had it installed the garage covered it in black masking tape.

As for software detection.... nobody knows yet...
      01-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Moff,

Good question.

I intend to take it off and run the car for a few days before the 17,000 mile service. I'll probably also put black rape over the box when I re-install afterwards.

As for detection with the unit removed, I think it unlikely from what I have read on other US forums. I also have an earlier ECU (don't really want to say too much more).

I'll let you know how I get on this summer. I think that if I'm not having any issues, theres no reason for my BMW dealer to be concerned. After all SSTT is a pretty mild tune and when used alone with good octane fuel, I have not heard of anyone having problems (unless you add O2 sims with a de-cat pipe!).

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Had to postpone the tests as the weather was atrocious over the weekend. Roll on the summer..
      01-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Hi Simon

We have not had any reported issues with our remap on the x35i so far. One of the early cars we remapped has now covered over 20k with a couple opf track days and a trip to the ring. Please keep an eye on it and get in touch with us if the problem persists and we can look into it.

For future reference if any of our customers has an issue please get in touch with us and we will of course help in any way we can.

Imran
evolve automotive
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Imran,

Thanks for the reply, I will do some thorough testing when we get some dry conditions and let you guys know.

Hopefully it will just be a hiccup.
      02-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #14
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Any further issues or has this one sorted itself out?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

If we had a dry day down here I would tell you. Since then it's been snowing/icy/raining continually...

Drove 70 miles in the rain today, no issues there but then again I cannot put my foot down without wheelspin. Roll on a dry day..........
      02-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, took the car for a spin this morning while it was actually dry!

I cannot report any similar issues that I had previously reported. Acceleration was smooth, no lag at all this time. I can only put it down to a possible fuel issue as I was last using Texaco fuel. Will steer clear of it from now on.