BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Auto X in Washington DC Area - need advice

I'm thinking about signing up for my first auto x event, but don't know how to go about finding an event in my area or preparing for the event. I'd also like to know what class I would be running in and what type of safety equipment I would need, including both personal equipment and equipment for the car.

Any advice/info would be appreciated. As indicated in the title of the post, I'm in the Washington DC area.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The season is pretty much all but over, but keep an eye out for your local chapter's events: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?index

Also, the SCCA holds events in your area:
http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocro...6/Default.aspx

Classing for SCCA Solo events (assuming your car is stock) puts you in D-Stock (DS).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

I am in your local area; but, am in the track cycle now and have not kept up with Autocross in several years. I have repeated the cycle at least three times and I think it is a required part of the slippery slope, buy performance car, autocross, succumb to the siren song of the track, prepare track car, spend all disposable income on the track, go cold turkey -- repeat cycle.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/

I would also check SCCA site; but, as suggested above, sadly the driving season is drawing to a close. Today was the last FATT of the year. Plan for April startup -- we will be back on the track in April with a full schedule of events.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
The season is pretty much all but over, but keep an eye out for your local chapter's events: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?index

Also, the SCCA holds events in your area:
http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocro...6/Default.aspx

Classing for SCCA Solo events (assuming your car is stock) puts you in D-Stock (DS).
Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I needed. One question: the only mods to my car are Koni Sport shocks and Eibach Springs - after a quick glance at the SCCA rules, it seems that I would be forced to run in the Street Touring categroy. Does that sound right? If so, Rule 14.3 says that the maximum tire width that can be run in Street Touring is 225, but the stock rear tires on the 135 are 245s. What gives?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Welcome to SCCA Solo classifications. :smile:

They way you have your car prepped, it's not competitive in SCCA Autocrosses, but you might as well go for the fun of it!! Also, your local BMW chapter may have a totally different classification system that is less penalizing for small mods, like the kinds you have.

I chair the Boston Chapter events, and our class system greatly differs from SCCA for BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
I am in your local area; but, am in the track cycle now and have not kept up with Autocross in several years. I have repeated the cycle at least three times and I think it is a required part of the slippery slope, buy performance car, autocross, succumb to the siren song of the track, prepare track car, spend all disposable income on the track, go cold turkey -- repeat cycle.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/

I would also check SCCA site; but, as suggested above, sadly the driving season is drawing to a close. Today was the last FATT of the year. Plan for April startup -- we will be back on the track in April with a full schedule of events.
I know that's the direction that I'm headed in, but I can't help myself. Anyway, thanks for the info.

One other question: I've been searching google maps for twisty roads near DC to drive on weekends; since I'm relatively new to the area, I'm not that familiar with the geography and haven't found much. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Welcome to SCCA Solo classifications. :smile:

They way you have your car prepped, it's not competitive in SCCA Autocrosses, but you might as well go for the fun of it!! Also, your local BMW chapter may have a totally different classification system that is less penalizing for small mods, like the kinds you have.

I chair the Boston Chapter events, and our class system greatly differs from SCCA for BMWs.
Understood. I don't really mind not being competitive. I don't just want to go out and have a good time. I hope that won't piss anyone off.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Understood. I don't really mind not being competitive. I don't just want to go out and have a good time. I hope that won't piss anyone off.
Strike "don't" in the third sentence.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One other question: I've been searching google maps for twisty roads near DC to drive on weekends; since I'm relatively new to the area, I'm not that familiar with the geography and haven't found much. Any suggestions?
Don't know where you are with respect to DC -- Southern Maryland, St Mary's and Calvert Counties has the best roads. Roads are wider and smoother then VA. VA has much more scenic roads; but, the twisty back roads have no shoulder and the surface is not as good. In either case I would not pick this time to do any hard runs on the back roads. The deer seem to be particularly prevalent this month. My 911 has two kills at Summit Point and one of my other cars has one on the Maryland backroads. Two weeks ago another friend had his 944T T-boned by an angry buck.

This route has lots of elevation change, not big elevation change, but corksrew-like turns, most are on camber, but many are blind and the road drops away after the apex.

Take 301S from Upper Marlboro area
left on Croom Station Road,
Left on 382/Croom Road
Left on 381/Aquasco (or you could go straight across Aquasco, follow Covington to T, left on Iowa/Woodville to T at 381/Aquasco, right on Aquasco)
Right on 231
Left on 5/Hughesville bypass
South on 5 to New Market
Left on 6 (6 loops around until back to 5)

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Don't know where you are with respect to DC -- Southern Maryland, St Mary's and Calvert Counties has the best roads. Roads are wider and smoother then VA. VA has much more scenic roads; but, the twisty back roads have no shoulder and the surface is not as good. In either case I would not pick this time to do any hard runs on the back roads. The deer seem to be particularly prevalent this month. My 911 has two kills at Summit Point and one of my other cars has one on the Maryland backroads. Two weeks ago another friend had his 944T T-boned by an angry buck.

This route has lots of elevation change, not big elevation change, but corksrew-like turns, most are on camber, but many are blind and the road drops away after the apex.

Take 301S from Upper Marlboro area
left on Croom Station Road,
Left on 382/Croom Road
Left on 381/Aquasco (or you could go straight across Aquasco, follow Covington to T, left on Iowa/Woodville to T at 381/Aquasco, right on Aquasco)
Right on 231
Left on 5/Hughesville bypass
South on 5 to New Market
Left on 6 (6 loops around until back to 5)
Didn't realize dear were such an issue in this area. Thanks for the warning. Thanks also for the route you suggested. I'll definitely try it out. Are the dear less prevalent at other times of the year?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'm thinking about signing up for my first auto x event, but don't know how to go about finding an event in my area or preparing for the event. I'd also like to know what class I would be running in and what type of safety equipment I would need, including both personal equipment and equipment for the car.

Any advice/info would be appreciated. As indicated in the title of the post, I'm in the Washington DC area.
Yes, as mentioned you are a bit late. The last BMWCCA DC event was back in October. I did my first ever autoX there and it was a blast. Definitely the best time I have ever had in my car so far! And I did ok for my first time. Check me out:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?results

Definitely come out next season. I plan to. Also make sure you have a set of dedicated tires if you plan to run hard like I did. Trust me your rft's will thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hey white911, I've seen you once before on 235 you've got the coral interior. Nice to see another 1er in somd. Your actually the only other 135 i've seen. You may have seen me a bunch as mine is my dd. I'de be interested in checking out a couple of these roads with you, as I too am at a lack for good driving roads. Guess I just need to do some more exploring

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Smallbodybimmer -- I use it as my daily driver as well; although, my wife was driving it the last week since we have three cars down for maintenance/track prep. Audi seems to have lost a coil pack and Tischer is coming down to pick it up today, 964 has a defective accessory position on the ignition switch, and the 911 is getting ready for VIR. --

Since you are local to the area, there are many roads that are easy to get to. I would discourage wringing the car out on any of these roads; although they are fun to drive.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
Hey white911, I've seen you once before on 235 you've got the coral interior. Nice to see another 1er in somd. Your actually the only other 135 i've seen. You may have seen me a bunch as mine is my dd. I'de be interested in checking out a couple of these roads with you, as I too am at a lack for good driving roads. Guess I just need to do some more exploring
PM'd you -- getting the 911 (trackster) ready for four days at VIR this afternoon.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep

follow up PM sent --

Appreciate 0