E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear main oil seal leaking at @1200 miles!

06-08-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
dj_frankie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Rear main oil seal leaking at @1200 miles!

Hello,

I've noticed a distintive smell after driving my car since the day I bought it. Upon asking the SA, he said it was normal for BMW to have this smell since they apply some type of coating to the underneath of the car and I was assured it will eventually go away...right.

At about 800 miles the low oil warning light came on and I called BMW. They told me it was usual for these cars to lose some oil during the breaking period. I added a quart of oil. The SA could never repond to the question of why BMW loses oil and not any other cars. For the record, this is not my first new car.

Now, 400 miles later and the low oil warning lamp comes on again telling me to add +1 quart of oil. I take the car in to the shop and insist they have it inspected. "Oh it's probably just low on oil ...part of breaking in the engine", the SA assured me....right.

Later that afternoon I received a call from the SA telling me my rear main oil seal was leaking oil. Also, told me that it would take a while to get the part in. So I figured maybe a couple of days or such...that was 4 days ago.

Anyone else experience unusual oil consumption don't assume it's part of the engine break-in or a bad oil sensor. Have the dealer check the problem!!

Kind of dissapointed at this time and would hope this is not a recurring problem for me. This is a great forum and would love to be part of this (BMW)family.

Sorry had to vent off.

djfrankie
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Sorry to hear that. That ok man, that is why this site was created to you can vent it out here. Did you see any oil on your driveway? Am sure once it is fixed, you be rolling again, but it is just a pain to have to sit and wait. GL!

Edit: Hey do you have any photo of this rear main seal area. BTW, notice you new so Welcome...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

This happend to me after one of my oil changes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13829
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusinvestor
This happend to me after one of my oil changes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13829
your oil issue is different then the other member. His is the rear main oil seal leak where as yours is the oil filter housing.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

It's pretty common for a German car to burn a little oil, they don't freak out about it the way we do. That being said, of the three BMW's I've owned, only one consumed any oil and it was only about a quart every 7-8k miles.

Leaking main seals, along with front control arm bushings, are a buggaboo on a just about all german brands it seems. (at least the BMW and Audi's I've owned)

As long as it's not gushing oil, just keep topping it up and wait till they get the part. Not going to kill anything unless you get lazy and let all the oil go.
Appreciate 0