BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I regret to inform you...

... that I did not do so well at the SCCA Solo Nationals.

http://www.scca.com/documents/resultfiles/Ww%20Te5.pdf
Go to page 4 through 6 or view the attached pdf.

However, Beth Strelnieks, had a fantastic drive in the car (page 6).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2008 DStock results.pdf (54.7 KB, 260 views)

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Too bad, Matt. I was following you online. Tough year! Was still cool to be following you, and the other 135i drivers.

Did you still have the understeering issues with the 275 hohos, like with my car?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
... that I did not do so well at the SCCA Solo Nationals.

http://www.scca.com/documents/resultfiles/Ww%20Te5.pdf
Go to page 4 through 6 or view the attached pdf.

However, Beth Strelnieks, had a fantastic drive in the car (page 6).

Give us a run down on your impressions of the car, how it handled that "horrible" surface they call asphalt at nationals, and whether you were able to put down good runs or just never make it work, etc.

Did you deal with any rain?

(I will be out there in 2009 screwing around in STU with the 135i...should be fun at least.)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Yes, more details on the how the car worked please.
      09-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think the surface out there sucks enough to impair the 135i. Get us some concrete and the car will roxorz.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
weathergrl
Rep
Drives:

Vote for Lincoln Nebraska next year to see the 135i on Concrete. Its on the list of possible sites.

You do not want to see Nationals go to Arkansas. That site sucks, so I've heard, and there are no places to stay.

Yes, the DSL winner is a fantastic driver, she did well in the 135i. Although it helped her greatly to run in the afternoon in Topeka, when the surface wasn't as slick and her tires could get warm. I agree that the site has a lot to do with it.
      09-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Rx7cat
Rep
Drives:

I'm not Matt, but I do know the car:wink:

Yes, it still has some understeer problems even with the 275's.
Our car still needs some developing, but it's getting progressively better. It's not doing too bad for a total of 5 autocrosses, all national level.
I personally like the car better on asphalt at this point, you can actually get the rear a little loose, and as long as you don't brake late and stand the car on it's nose that bit of rotation helps negate the understeer somewhat. It loses a little bit of acceleration due to less grip, but it more than makes up for it in the turns.
By next season we hope to have dialed in the set up for both surfaces. Wendover was fast and transitional and the car rocked...except for the turn around which was painfully slooow, too much rear grip, not enough front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathergrl View Post
Yes, the DSL winner is a fantastic driver, she did well in the 135i. Although it helped her greatly to run in the afternoon in Topeka, when the surface wasn't as slick and her tires could get warm. I agree that the site has a lot to do with it.
Thanks for the compliment, though run time really wasn't much of a factor. I wouldn't have wanted to run first heat, but the tires were plenty warm, and the car works better on the loose side. I'll take oversteer vs understeer any day.:smile: BTW do I know you weathergrl?, no sig.:smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathergrl View Post
Vote for Lincoln Nebraska next year to see the 135i on Concrete. Its on the list of possible sites.

You do not want to see Nationals go to Arkansas. That site sucks, so I've heard, and there are no places to stay.
I don't know anything about the Lincoln site, but I do know that the AR site is huge grippy pristine concrete, big enough for 2 big courses, paddock, grid and a separate practice area. There are hotels in the area, (Hampton Inn and other chains), however it's a little low on total number of rooms, so if it goes there book early.

Beth McClure-Strelnieks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Congrats on the win Beth. I'll be keeping a close eye on development. My 135i is not here yet so I won't get any events in this year.

At this point it looks like a 32mm bar may be helpful as well as some pressurized dampers for added spring rate.

Did you and the Dr. consider a reverse stagger or is it too hard to get the power down on skinnier tires? 285's front 245's rear?

Dave Mac
2008 DC Pro STU winner
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #9
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Congrat's Beth,
do you mind sharing the details of you set up?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Rx7cat
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
Congrats on the win Beth. I'll be keeping a close eye on development. My 135i is not here yet so I won't get any events in this year.

At this point it looks like a 32mm bar may be helpful as well as some pressurized dampers for added spring rate.

Did you and the Dr. consider a reverse stagger or is it too hard to get the power down on skinnier tires? 285's front 245's rear?

Dave Mac
2008 DC Pro STU winner
Hi Dave:smile:

We put the 32mm Hotchkiss bar on the right before the Wendover Pro, it is much better than the 27mm bar we had on it previously.
Erik is considering trying out an even bigger bar.
We're going to have the off the shelf Koni doubles dynoed just to take a look at them, but we're thinking about going with a monotube shock.
Your idea of a reverse stagger is also something we have been talking about trying now that we're in "testing" season:smile:
I would also like to try out road race compound on the back of the car, it's all about increasing front grip and decreasing rear grip.
Starting at the Packwood Pro we've been runnng older tires on the rear, (used the Wendover tires there, and at Nats ran the Pro Solo tires on the back for the Solo2 portion). So far that seems to be helping.

To Spec Volcano, no I don't mind sharing, just keep in mind this is what we have now. I would give the car an overall rating of 8 out of 10, it's fairly good, but it's just not quite right. In another few months we should have better data.

At the moment we are running on 275 Hoosiers on all four corners, (this requires a 2mm spacer up front, and there is a slight rubbing issue there) Pressures starting at 45psi up front, 50psi rear.
Hoosier is coming out with a new 265 size that may be the ticket, we'll see.
Off the shelf Koni doubles from TC Kline, in dry weather the rear is maxed out stiff, both compression and rebound. On the front rebound full soft, compression 4-6 clicks stiffer than full soft.
Hotchkiss 32mm bar.
Alignment, max neg camber in front, (pins removed), nets us about -.7 deg. Rear -1 degree, 3/16 total toe out all around. I hate the lack of front camber, we've got -3 degrees on the front of the Rx7:-)
We're going to play with the toe, shocks, and tires sizes/compounds in the next few months.
One other thing, I was not sure how the car would do in the wet, (it was raining buckets at the Pro finale), in standing water I was impressed, the car throttle steers very nicely. As the course dried, (w/ Topeka sand), the understeer became a major factor. Still placed 2nd by a little over a tenth to an AWD car.
05 AMG SLK 350
87 Honda CRX Si..prepared class project
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Beth - thanks for the info!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Hey Beth, long time no talk. Good to see someone putting the 135i to the test. Congrats on the win.

Thanks for the feedback. Just like you I am coming from years in the Cooper S (barring my stent in 2006 in SM2 with the supercharged Miata...no match for the Rx7... but fun none the less.)

I just picked up the 135i on European delivery so I am anxiously awaiting it to be shipped back to the US.

I think I will going the with the "coilover/lots of camber" STU set up next year. I get so tired of fighting the tire wear and understeer. Being competitive against the AWD monsters in STU will be another story... but on the plus side it should make for a good track car and should be loads of fun to drive!

Is Eric going to be driving the 135i this coming year or just you?

Best of luck in your continued effort!

Kelly Petersen
Denver, CO
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Great job Beth. Do you have any photos of the car in action? Have you seen any other 1s at the Driveway?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

One method I was pondering is messing with the track widths. Maybe run a 6mm spacer up front and then run a higher offset on the rear to tuck the wheels in 6mm. That should give some dynamic stability to the front and help the rear move a little more eagerly. I don't know if this method would cause excess rubbing though.

Dave Mac
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
Great job Beth. Do you have any photos of the car in action? Have you seen any other 1s at the Driveway?
I wasn't aware that I hadn't clicked for notices on this thread. Glad Beth took the pressure off me for the answers.

Photos (though only of me, Beth is MUCH prettier) attached.
Attached Images

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

The car looks great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Question on the wheel fitment. I always thought that SCCA requires the same size wheels as stock front and rear in D Stock. Those Breytons appear to be GTS-R's in 18x8.5 on all 4 corners. I thought that was verboten on DS cars, since the stock front wheel is 7.5" wide.

I do see a 7.5" wide version, but is it possible to fit a 275 on a 7.5" wheel?

Matt, as you know, I'm a BMW CCA guy, so forgive my ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #18
Rx7cat
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for posting pictures Matt:smile: I'm not really sure how much you liked the car, but it will be better, I promise. As we said at Nats, you can drive the car if we get a Tour in Tx this year. You'd most likely have it all to yourself as we'll drive the RX7.

Hi Kelly:smile: Erik and I will both drive it some, I think we will take it to some of the east coast events, it's kind of a backup car. I think it's an amazing street car, but the Rx7 has spoiled me:wink:
I think STU is a great place for the car and that it will do very well, we kind of tossed around that idea for next year, but we love R tires too much...

Stampchez, hey:smile: No, I haven't seen another 135 out at the Driveway, just yours. I haven't even seen one on the road, though I know there are several in Austin. Bring yours out to a Spokes event sometime if you haven't already.
05 AMG SLK 350
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7cat View Post
Thanks for posting pictures Matt:smile: I'm not really sure how much you liked the car, but it will be better, I promise. As we said at Nats, you can drive the car if we get a Tour in Tx this year. You'd most likely have it all to yourself as we'll drive the RX7.
Dear Beth and Erik,

I loved the car. Unfortunately, the nut behind the wheel was the major problem. :wink: As I told you, I did not have faith in the car the way I needed to have for Nationals. It is the same as you driving the RX. You jump in, and know just how it will "dance" through the gates (Bruno Timioli says "10!"). On the 2nd day I drove it more on the edge and it paid off on the second run. It was the brain fade after the lights that toasted the run (see pic).

Jumping in a different car is never easy. Your setups were fine. It was the ability to wring out that extra second is what was hard.

So maybe I'll try to visit the Houston Tour next year (my only visits to Texas have been to DFW via AA, so it is time to experience the state). Or if you guys want to come up north I'll treat you to lobster (or "lobsta" as they say in Boston) at the Devens Tour.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #20
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Hey, Beth. I think DSL got a gimme. Look at the photo. The very last green pylon is missing. Not that is would've helped me.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #21
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Question on the wheel fitment. I always thought that SCCA requires the same size wheels as stock front and rear in D Stock. Those Breytons appear to be GTS-R's in 18x8.5 on all 4 corners. I thought that was verboten on DS cars, since the stock front wheel is 7.5" wide.

I do see a 7.5" wide version, but is it possible to fit a 275 on a 7.5" wheel?

Matt, as you know, I'm a BMW CCA guy, so forgive my ignorance.
Larry, They were the proper sizes (18 x 7.5" & 8.5"). SCCA rules say that they must be OEM sizes but the offset can be plus or minus 1/4". So, you can get the tire on the wheel and then shoehorn it into the wheel well. Please note Beth's comments about a little rubbing above (if you ain't rubbin' you ain't racin').

Good luck at O'fest. I am passing on trying to run the autocross. This week will end up being pretty busy (I am a Realtor in Connecticut in case anyone needs an agent. I'll help you find a great garage, with a house attached to it:wink.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #22
Rx7cat
Rep
Drives:

Larryn, you are correct, stock class does require same size wheels as the car came with. The Breytons on the front are 18x7.5, and yes you can squeeze a 275 tire onto it:smile:

Hey Matt:smile: Hope you come down to Tx, maybe we'll make Devens...right now I have no inclination to tow any where, but that's the norm at the end of the season:wink: My 02 Excursion is about to hit 200K miles, so we tow on average about 28K per year, and I do 2/3 of that. Give me a few months off though and I'll be raring to go again.
I'm glad you liked the car:smile:
When was that pic taken of the exit on the west course? (sure it's kind of a gimme, but I still can't believe you hit those cones after the finish...that was a really nice run, you looked great!)
05 AMG SLK 350
Appreciate 0