BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Third Problem: Failed Passenger Restraint System

This will be the third time I need to bring my 135i in for mechanical or electrical service since March delivery.

Today my passenger restraint system failed, affecting seat beat, pretensioner, and airbags. This is really annoying consider the fact BMW hasn't fix the last whistling problem from the engine bay. I will schedule for service tomorrow with the additional problem of occasional long cranks. Have anyone seen this problem?

Found a thread from 3 series.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...straint+system
      09-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

The recall has nothing to do with the 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post

Found a thread from 3 series. BMW really dropped the ball on these cars.

I do think they took some shortcuts on the 1 series ... The past cars that I have had haven't had near as many problems ...

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

shortcuts as in what?

all the parts are standard bmw parts, it's not like they would engineer a new seatbelt sensor just for the 1's

no company can afford to re-engineer every part of a car so its' different from other models, these 1's even come down the same assembly line as other series
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I haven't had one problem with my 1, and I dog the shit out of it (If you are from BMW NA I was lying, I respect and underdrive my car daily)
      09-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
I dont think so either. I raised two points, the second one, from the link, shows that restraint failure is a common on 3 series as well.
      09-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
shortcuts as in what?

all the parts are standard bmw parts, it's not like they would engineer a new seatbelt sensor just for the 1's

no company can afford to re-engineer every part of a car so its' different from other models, these 1's even come down the same assembly line as other series
But there are known cases of the same system failing on few occasions, BMW should be more proactive in solving the bugs instead of squashing them as they pop up. Especially on safety system where life can be in jeopardy. BMW's approach sounds like "We can afford one or two death or injuries, but we can't afford fixing the real cause." Hey, I get it, my life has a fixed value and it not going to break BMW's bank.
      09-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
this is EXACTLY what they told me when i asked them about fuel pump back in April.

and yet now we know that the 1 series pumps fail just like the 3 series pumps.

the average BMW Tech is so "by the book" they don't know how to diagnose and fix stuff (i.e. think on their own)

the 1 series is basically a smaller 3 series. anything that applies to the 3 series probably applies to the 1 series. (except maybe issues with body panels)

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep

Update

After playing in the car for a bit tonight, I discovered the car has lost power for all electronics in the ceiling. The moonroof is inoperable, cabin light is gone, map light is gone and so are the ambient leds.

The only thing kept me from going insane is the twin turbo engine still works.
      09-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep

Update:

My adviser called. I got a new HPFP and a sensor replace in the roof area. Hopefully that fixes all my problems! I will let you all know when I pick up the car.
      09-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
the average BMW Tech is so "by the book" they don't know how to diagnose and fix stuff (i.e. think on their own)
How many times do I have to say it? If a bulletin or recall is published for car X, IT DOES NOT APPLY TO CAR Y. It doesn't matter if both cars have the same or similar parts; warranty will not cover it. If car X is outside the bulletin's production/VIN range, it does not apply. Unless a tech wants to lose his labor time, he's not going to throw parts at a problem based on another model's bulletin.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
How many times do I have to say it? If a bulletin or recall is published for car X, IT DOES NOT APPLY TO CAR Y. It doesn't matter if both cars have the same or similar parts; warranty will not cover it. If car X is outside the bulletin's production/VIN range, it does not apply. Unless a tech wants to lose his labor time, he's not going to throw parts at a problem based on another model's bulletin.

WTf is wrong with you? He never said that specific recall applied in this case. He posted it as an example of a similar part failing on a similar car, with similar symptoms.

The seats are the same, the sensor is made by the same vendor, and installed in the same fashion. Does the fact that a TSB hasn't been released make it any less of a problem to you?

You probably say the exact same thing about the HPFP, and everyone involved knows it's the exact same issue on both cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
is really annoying consider the fact BMW hasn't fix the last whistling problem from the engine bay.
details? i heard somethign today.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannypoffo View Post
details? i heard somethign today.
Unresolved.... I have bigger issue..... check out my new thread

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16527

Let me clarify the TSB for 3 series recall. I never stated that is the problem for my car. Instead I was posting related issue which some correlation may be found and I welcome everyone's opinion. I did found the exact same problem in the second link I posted.