BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
Bitterm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White.Coral 135i

Rats Eating Wires?

I got my 135 back today after having it serviced for blowing warm air when the a/c was on. Their was a leak in the coolant system somewhere, all was fixed and replaced, however they did find a wire connected to the tire pressure monitoring system torn up by a "rodent." Apparently they see this some times in the same area on different cars, i guess they can hide in their? New to me, anyone else hear of mice eating through wires?! :bs:
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterm3 View Post
I got my 135 back today after having it serviced for blowing warm air when the a/c was on. Their was a leak in the coolant system somewhere, all was fixed and replaced, however they did find a wire connected to the tire pressure monitoring system torn up by a "rodent." Apparently they see this some times in the same area on different cars, i guess they can hide in their? New to me, anyone else hear of mice eating through wires?! :bs:

My neighbor accross the street had the same thing happen. Mice or Rats chewed through some wires on his early 90's BMW ... He now keeps some "bait" out to ward off the little wire eating suckers ... Not sure if that is your case, but it is possible ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

About a year ago, my '99 328i outside temperature started reading -40o. And the A/C compressor wouldn't operate as the car assumed that the ambient temp was too low - lots of fun with no dry air to defog in an 85o rainstorm!

About $320 later, I was told that it was rodent damage to the sensor & wiring mounted in the front passenger side wheelwell. It turns out that the chipmunks I had been observing near the car aren't quite as "cute" as I thought.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

I had this happen to my van once, I fried the on my battery though I think, yeah, not pretty at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Bitterm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White.Coral 135i

"About $320 later, I was told that it was rodent damage to the sensor & wiring mounted in the front passenger side wheelwell." Same exact spot the rodent ate through mine. The dealer said they see this in this spot regularly?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

I see it all the time when the Jaguars & Land Rovers come through my dealership. We've found plenty of animals in the engine bay of cars before. Last one was a baby possum...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

I've seen it inside houses as well. I think it's a form of rodent suicide, as it's very hard to make a noose without opposable thumbs !!
      09-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Neo187H
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterm3 View Post
This isnt nearly as rare as you might think, the last cars I saw at work that had rodent issues was a 1999 MB CLK that had just been turned into the dealer for a trade in and the mouse or whatever it was had worked its way basically from the front to the rear of the vehicle. Chewing a total of 23 different wires in different places throughout the car creating MAJOR issues everywhere.

And than not a month after this car was turned in the same people brought in there NEW SL that they had just bought to replace the CLK with lo and behold, the same issues. Except this time the rodent got into the pneumatic lines going through the car to operate the central locking as well as wiring. What a mess both of those cares were.
Appreciate 0