BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
BrakeLate
Rep
Drives:

First lapping day in 135- Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA

This week I’ve done my first track event in 135i. For those who know the place – it is Pacific Raceways, WA (next to Auburn, ~20 miles away from Seattle, there is an excellent Racing school that organizes lapping events: http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/ ). Car handles much better than my Viggen that I used to drive on the same track. That turn #1 , blind right going slightly downhill, where instructors warn you not to lift from gas pedal – I used to do at max 110 mph, now was comfortably taking at 130. Might gone even faster, car felt very stable, but didn’t want to use all available breaking distance and keep it more conservative for the first time.

Few observations:
1. several times during hard breaking (130mph -> 60 mph) even when car is setup straight, back was wobbling and getting loose. Not sure was that because of too high rear tire pressure ( cold: F:37, R:34, hot was F:45, R:40 PSI) ?
2. when trail braking into turn #5 few time brake pedal suddenly went down, do I overheat brakes and maybe different brake fluid is needed? Any suggestions?
3. car isn’t eager to over steer at all, even 3B or 3A when giving lost of gas, I never got it to rotate well and was pushing somewhat. Probably that reflects in the condition of mine tires (just 2k miles and there how it looks after the lapping day). What are suggestions how to reduce under steer – different tire sizes, pressure?

4. I am probably used too much to all forgiving 21 PSI boost from Viggen, 135 is much more sensitive to revs, and if I don’t down shift it low enough and RPMs are high it has obvious lack of power. So shifting and being in the right gear is much more important.
5. overall performance was really good, only cars out of my league (with good drivers) were significantly faster (Aston, GT3, 911 turbo, RS4, and one M3 with slicks), otherwise I was able to catch up with all other cars and overtake them when possible.
6. I think one more event and mine funflat OEM tires will be done, anyone has a suggestion for replacement tire that is good for track and not too expensive. What about Bridgestone RE0760?

There is a link to some shots that one photographer made (they look too good, I probably will need to buy from him):
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.redmistphoto.com/gallery/5812528_77UNe[/FONT]

When I look at this one, I can’t believe, that it’s my car and not an add from Car and driver …
http://www.redmistphoto.com/gallery/5812528_77UNe#360207287_Ncrw4

Any comments, suggestions on my questions are very welcome.
Attachment 11248
Attached Images

Appreciate 0