BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
imported_Dan
Rep
Drives:

Watkins Glen

Just got back from running Watkins Glen with the Genesee Valley Chapter of BMWCCA August 27 & 28. There were 4 sessions on Wednesday and 4 on Thursday. Each session lasted 20-30 minutes.
The car was fantastic. Brakes held out well (stock pads) and oil temp was just over 250 when really pushing it. I seemed to be able to hang with the M3's that were in my group. Over half of the cars there were various M3's. Tires used were Toyo R888 starting at 30 pounds cold each day.
Wednesday was sunny and in the 70's. I could hold 100 through the esses and maxed out at about 130 before the "bus stop". The car felt very stable throughout all runs.
Thursday was cloudy and in the 60's. The car seemed to like to cooler temps. It started to rain at lunch and I only did one rain session. I left the electronic controls on, but still felt some slipage coming out of 7 and going into 6. Water on the track had alot to do with it. Again the car felt great, especially in a straight line and was good in the cornors at a reduced rate of speed.
I did add a quart of oil on Thursday as the indicator (electronic dip stick?) was at mid point. I have 4,000 miles on the car but this was the second track event with the same fluids and brake pads.
The 135's are wondeful on the track. This vehicle is everything I hoped it would be. Get out to an event near you and try it. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice write up. Good info -- I'd love to do the Glen in my 1er.