BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Service needed, those of you with intakes...

So of those of you that have aftermarket intakes like the BMS, do you replace the OEM air box before taking the car in for service?

Also, has there been any issues so far with people not getting service covered because of the intake?

I have a Service Engine Soon light on and I have to take the car in today. I have the BMS intake and I am planning on taking it out and putting the OEM box back in but I just wanted to see if this was completely necessary in the future. I know that it is better safe then sorry but still curious.

Thanks,

Brandon:w00t:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

For a check engine light, it would probably be a good idea to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

I removed my BMS intake as well...definitley better to be safe than sorry. Regardless, if you have talked to the tech and they seem "cool" about it. Gl.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

i've never hassled anyone for an intake
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

I replaced a MAF and an air filter, because of an over-oiled K&N drop-in filter. I did it under warranty, but I told the guy if it happened again with the K&N installed it would be COD.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
i would put the stock one on.
Unless you know someone at the dealership that can "IGNORE" it.
      08-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

I took the intake off and put the OEM box back in.

Car is in the shop right now. Waiting for a diagnosis. I will update you guys on what it is when I find out:w00t:

BTW- At first the SA told me that it was probably due to the gas cap not being properly put on after a fill up. I had him ask the tech to make sure and the tech said that there is a seperate light for the filler cap just in case some of you were wondering.

I live in Oregon now so I can't pump my own gas now
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Ok, so the dealership told me that I have a faulty pump in the fuel system. It is not the actual fuel pump but rather the pump that pressurizes the fuel tank.

They told me that the car is drivable while the part is on order. I have been driving the car for two days now and this morning the Service Engine Soon light came on as well as the Engine Icon light in yellow. The car now shakes during acceleration.

I have to take the car in again for this light today and the part I am waiting for does not come in until next week

I am really having buyers remorse now. This is my first BMW and I was very hesitant to buy one because of the rumors of the reliability not being up to par. Out of the 10 cars I have owned in my driving history I have never had to take one in for repair until now. (7 Honda, 2 Datsun, 1 Subaru):iono:

Please someone help me get rid of this buyers remorse and remind me why I bought the 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

BTW- Only 2200 miles on the car right now
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

your dealer is being vague. your car has two pumps. an in tank low pressure pump that puts out 5 bar of fuel pressure. this pump in turn feeds the high pressure pump which has an operating pressure of 50-200 bar. from your complaint, it seems like you have a bad high pressure fuel pump. i would not have accepted the car back in that kind of running condition. bring it back and demand a loaner. we never return a car to the customer that needs a high pressure fuel pump. fuel pumps can be overnighted by your dealer. some dealers suck i guess...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

If it's the pump that pressurizes the fuel tank, it's probably the DMTL. We usually don't ship cars with bad fuel pumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If it's the pump that pressurizes the fuel tank, it's probably the DMTL. We usually don't ship cars with bad fuel pumps.
oops! you're right about the dmtl. yeah it would be unusual to ship a car with a bad fuel pump. but it seems your complaint is HDP related.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

It has taken 4 days now and the part is not here. They said that it will be here tomorrow. I dropped the car off this morning and demanded a loaner like you guys suggested (nicely).

So what is the part called that they are saying is the issue right now? The low pressure pump?

The car was running fine when I took it the first time from them. It was the day after when I got the engine malfunction light and experienced the rough acceleration. You say that this roughness is due to the High pressure fuel pump?

Also if the low pressure was malfunctioning would it be ok to drive? That is what they told me:iono:

Anyways, the car is there now so I will hopefully hear soon what the issue is. I will keep you posted...

Thanks so much for the input:w00t:

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

BTW- What are you refering to when you say HDP? The high pressure fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #15
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

yep i'm calling the high pressure pump the hdp.

by what your dealer is saying, it seems like they ordered you a dmtl pump (it's function is to leak test your fuel system), however a bad dmtl pump should not cause the drivability issues you are having.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
I took the intake off and put the OEM box back in.

Car is in the shop right now. Waiting for a diagnosis. I will update you guys on what it is when I find out:w00t:

BTW- At first the SA told me that it was probably due to the gas cap not being properly put on after a fill up. I had him ask the tech to make sure and the tech said that there is a seperate light for the filler cap just in case some of you were wondering.

I live in Oregon now so I can't pump my own gas now
You might consider finding a Shell or Chevron station that will let you pump your own gas, they are 'out there'.:wink:I've run Shell fer' forever with my station-of-choice allowing me to do the fill-up. I'm not gonna' let just anyone touch my little monster.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertech View Post
yep i'm calling the high pressure pump the hdp.

by what your dealer is saying, it seems like they ordered you a dmtl pump (it's function is to leak test your fuel system), however a bad dmtl pump should not cause the drivability issues you are having.
Yeah, they ordered me a dmtl pump. They also said that the reason I went into limp mode was because of a misfire on bank 2. They changed the plug and coil on that bank and today my dmtl pump is here so they will put that in.

Should it have taken this long to get a dmtl pump though? I waited 8 days for it to come in:iono:Seems excessive to me.

Anyways, I don't get the best feeling from my SA or the techs I have spoken too. They first told me that it was my fault for the misfire because I let the gas tank get too low and air got in the lines. On my computer it said that there was 43 miles left on the tank. Seems like that is not too low:iono: They also told me that the gas smelled wierd and drilled me on where I filled up. I always fill up at Chevron. Either way it seems like they are really trying to find a way to blame me for all of this so that the cost comes out of my pocket.

Anyone know where I can find good info on the lemon law? This is getting out of hand and everytime I go in to the service shop I feel like I am guilty until proven innocent. It is starting to really piss me off. What can I do?

Bimmertech- Thanks so much for your help and insight:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #18
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

So I got the car back yesterday after they replaced the dmtl pump. This morning on my way to work I got the rough acceleration again and the Engine Malfunction light came back on.

The light comes on usually when I have been at speeds above 50mph for a period of time. It only runs rough when I accelerate and if I stop at a light, the light goes out. It will then come back on after some more 50mph+ driving.

This will be the third time taking the car in for this same exact issue. On the second visit they told me that it was a misfire like I stated above.

Any ideas on what this could be?:iono:

Thanks,

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
MI128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35I M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 128  [0.00]
http://lemonlaworegon.org/

Heres a link for lemon laws in Oregon. It looks like after the 4th time you have your vehicle in for the same problem without resolution you would qualify for the lemon law. There is more too it but best bet would be contact a lawyer to go over the specific laws and guidelines. Good luck...
      02-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #20
boostadik804
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2008 135i sport

Just as a heads up for the future, according to the magnason moss act, the dealership would have to prove that your modified intake contributed to the failure in order to void your warranty.
Appreciate 0