BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
x46359
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

My new baby "submerged" in water

I wasn't sure which section to post this ... mods please feel free to move if its in the wrong section.

I was driving home yest when it started to rain .... A LOT. I took an exit off the highway and proceded toward the apt.

This is a one way street (for about half a mile) and there is NOWHERE to stop or turn around ... basically its a narrow street with 5 ft walls on each side that connects to a short tunnel.

Anyways, I get to the entrance of the tunnel and see water starting to rise up ... so I stop. I look forward to see the car in front of me start disappearing into a hude pool of water. I can't say exactly how high the water was but maybe a good 18-24"

So there I am, car stopped right before "the river" and people behind me honking and flashing me to go. There was no direction to go but forward. Now if i tried to back up, every car behind me, all the way out to the highway exit, would have to back up one by one...not happening in Korea.

Anyways, I go thorugh the water as slow as I can in SECOND gear (a mistake according to research I did once I got home). There were "bow waves" crashing against the side of my car upto my hood ... but luckily I made it through to the other side (a good 7-8 second in that "puddle").

I checked the engine once I got home ... looks like most of the water evaporated before reached the intake (I have the BMS intakes btw). According to my car, the only thing that failed was the "adaptive headlights" ... got the warning light on my dash. My car starts, runs, and drives just fine (no other check engine lights so far)

I read that the hot exhaust/brakes/rotors suddenly being submerged in cold water is a big no no ... others say not to worry since it was such a short time. I just wanted to get your opinions/experiences on the matter ... brakes and exhaust look fine from an initial inspection. Just wondering if there is something specific I should look/watch out for in the next few days ... or will my car be fine?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x46359 View Post
I wasn't sure which section to post this ... mods please feel free to move if its in the wrong section.

I was driving home yest when it started to rain .... A LOT. I took an exit off the highway and proceded toward the apt.

This is a one way street (for about half a mile) and there is NOWHERE to stop or turn around ... basically its a narrow street with 5 ft walls on each side that connects to a short tunnel.

Anyways, I get to the entrance of the tunnel and see water starting to rise up ... so I stop. I look forward to see the car in front of me start disappearing into a hude pool of water. I can't say exactly how high the water was but maybe a good 18-24"

So there I am, car stopped right before "the river" and people behind me honking and flashing me to go. There was no direction to go but forward. Now if i tried to back up, every car behind me, all the way out to the highway exit, would have to back up one by one...not happening in Korea.

Anyways, I go thorugh the water as slow as I can in SECOND gear (a mistake according to research I did once I got home). There were "bow waves" crashing against the side of my car upto my hood ... but luckily I made it through to the other side (a good 7-8 second in that "puddle").

I checked the engine once I got home ... looks like most of the water evaporated before reached the intake (I have the BMS intakes btw). According to my car, the only thing that failed was the "adaptive headlights" ... got the warning light on my dash. My car starts, runs, and drives just fine (no other check engine lights so far)

I read that the hot exhaust/brakes/rotors suddenly being submerged in cold water is a big no no ... others say not to worry since it was such a short time. I just wanted to get your opinions/experiences on the matter ... brakes and exhaust look fine from an initial inspection. Just wondering if there is something specific I should look/watch out for in the next few days ... or will my car be fine?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.

Rich
what did your research say? why was 2nd gear a mistake?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
Maybe 1st gear instead of 2nd to keep revs high to maintain exhaust pressure & stop water going in? :iono:

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

sounds like you are okay. The intake should work even if it's partially submerged. And as for the adaptive headlights, take it in to have it checked at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
x46359
Enlisted Member
Rep

Correct ... online research said to go through the water (slower than walking pace) in first gear/keeping revs high to maintain exhaust/back pressure.

Do you guys think I need to worry about the exhaust/cat/brakes or bearings/joints?

I figured the adaptive headlight mechanism is somewhere near the headlights .. which means water (most likely in the form of oncoming waves) hit as high/higher than the headlights. Makes me cringe thinking about that.

I will take the car in this weekend to the shop to look at the headlights. I'm hoping the adaptive headlight mechanism "dries" out and becomes functional. (*crosses fingers*)

Thanks for the support guys.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #6
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

I would not have gone. Not without flood insurance. Water damage can reek havoc on the car. Plus water damage is easy to spot. Your insurance or warranty may not cover it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

i just had to get one of my headlight controllers replaced because of water damage, it was $450. if both of yours are shot, that's gonna suck...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
If the water waves got as high as your hood, some water may have penetrated into the cabin. Did you check to see if your carpets were wet? I'd be also worried of future electrical failures as a result of this.
      08-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

Yeah, I would have waved people around... let them drive through it, doesn't mean I'm going to.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Yeah, agreed.. there was crazy flooding by an underpass I was driving by the other day -- water going up well above the curb.

My friend was in the car and said I could probably get through it, but I wasn't about to risk it! I think I pissed a couple of other people off, but I turned around to find a different route.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

ALWAYS ALWAYS find another route, let people honk all they want and risk their own vehicle. You can never tell just how deep it is. I'm not sure I agree with high revs, will increase intake flow. Water in intake = dead engine. Two family members have made that mistake...unsuspectingly deep water totaled their cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, no way I would go through water that deep. Let them honk.

All of you are lucky that there was no damage to your cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #13
x46359
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would have waved the cars around me if I could ... trust me. But the streets in Korea aren't made that wide. With my car all the way to the right, with my mirrors folded, you might be able to squeeze a motorcycle around the left side. Plus backing out was not an option. I would have probably caused a 6-7 hr traffic jam on the highway

But so far NO issues with the car. I checked my carpets and trunk and didn't see any signs of water/mold. Also, I took my car out for a spin last night and the adaptive headlights work fine ... no more warning lights ... the mechanism must've dried out.

Either way, I plan on putting the car on the lift tomorrow and taking a closer look.

Anything I should be looking out for?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Amazing really, glad your car made it through. So how'd you come upon south korea? just a random question, pm me or dont answer if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #15
x46359
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm in the military.

It really is a blast driving the 1 here ... it hasn't come out in Korea yet and I got it through the military sales program. Apparently I have the first official 1 series in Korea
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
RobLS
Major
Rep

Haha nice, I thought the progam said you could get your car once you get back to the states, didn't know they shipped it to you at your current location lol. Must be nice having one of the rarest cars in Korea.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Remember the game "Oregon Trail" with regard to fording the river? Never ford, go around. And always stock up on bullets for hunting! Watch out for yellow fever, Mary.

...sorry, couldn't resist the moment of nostalgia.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
RobLS
Major
Rep

i never played that game because the line in the library was too long to get on it in time lol
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

hope you're a banker and pray that dysenteria doesn't strike at an untimely juncture!
      08-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

08-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
x46359
Enlisted Member
Rep

ahahaha ... oregon trail. CLASSIC.

BTW car is doing great and because I put my baby through such an ordeal I think I'm gonna buy her a little present

A little off topic but which one would you guys buy

1. performance exhaust and 18" csl reps
2. 19" line corsea with tires

Can't make up my mind
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Appreciate 0