BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
uclalex
Rep
Drives:

Service engine soon light at only 930 miles!

So I was driving home yesterday and I was not even working the car out or anything and the SES light came on...at 930 miles (1 month old). I'm not even through the break in period yet! I don't even have my license plates yet!

I called South Bay BMW this morning at 7am and, thankfully, they told me to just bring it in as soon as I was able. So I took it in at 7:30, it waited around for a while, they read the fault codes and told me it was not a loose gas cap and they were working on diagnosing it. By 9:30, they told me that the tank venting valve had caused the fault and they had replaced it, but the faults were still being generated.

So I left the car there for more diagnostics to figure out why it still is generating faults after replacing the valve. I'll post again when I get the car back, hopefully good as new...:iono:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
uclalex
Rep
Drives:

Repairs complete

Got the car back in the afternoon and the invoice says:

CONCERN: 51 - CLIENT STATES SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT HAS COME ON - CHECK AND ADVISE

CAUSE: INTERNAL FAULT

CORRECTION: REPLACES TANK VENT VALVE. INTERROGATED FAULT MEMORY, DME 2A1A TANK VENTING FUNCTION TEST, RAN TEST PLAN, FUNCTION TEST SHOWED THAT VALVE DID NOT RESPOND, REPLACED VALVE.

PART NUMBER: BMW 13 90 7 552 771

They didn't clearly explain why it didn't respond to the new valve at first, but they said that was the only problem and that it eventually did respond and reset the SES light. I have already driven it over 50 miles on the new valve and everything seems good! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
tkd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any update with the SES Light coming back because of the same 2A1A? I have this exact problem.
Appreciate 0