BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
dk668
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e92 m3, s4 avant

betalink vs. 3M VHB

I ordered a cf spoiler from United BMW and wanted to know the best route for me to install it. I have done searches and found the two options to be betalink and 3M VHB tape.

I am trying to decide which one would be best for me. I did some searches and saw the diy's but still have some questions.

1. Since my car is a leaser, will the betalink come off without ruining the paint in a few years?

2. Would the 3M VHB tape be strong enough to hold at high speeds? Does it hold as well as betalink?

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I used the 3m tape. At 170mph my spoiler blew off the car.

Seriously, though... so far at 120 mph my spoiler is still on strong. I was going to re-apply my spoiler with the betalink, but really have no reason to. My spoiler is very solid.
      06-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I used Betalink on mine. It's solid as a rock. I have no fears at all about it coming off, and even use it to close the trunk sometimes.

The stuff is a complete mess though. The applicator tube they send sucks like a cheap whore, and the shit gets EVERYWHERE!

On top of that, it's hard to clean up the excess after you've installed the spoiler.

I'd probably try the tape if I had it to do over, but I can't say for sure that it will hold as well as the Betalink.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My concern with the tape would be how well it handled hot weather and if it is strong enough to withstand someone trying to yank it off the car. The betalink might be nasty stuff that is a MAJOR pain to deal with but I would think it might ultimately be a stronger bond. If you're thinking about maybe removing it at lease end, then maybe the tape but not sure I would be doing any mods to a lease. Just my opinion.
      06-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I used Betalink on mine. It's solid as a rock. I have no fears at all about it coming off, and even use it to close the trunk sometimes.

The stuff is a complete mess though. The applicator tube they send sucks like a cheap whore, and the shit gets EVERYWHERE!

On top of that, it's hard to clean up the excess after you've installed the spoiler.

I'd probably try the tape if I had it to do over, but I can't say for sure that it will hold as well as the Betalink.
+1
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I used the Beta link and followed the excellent DIY..... be sure to tape off the borders and the spoiler before you apply...words of wisdom....:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
dk668
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e92 m3, s4 avant

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like the betalink holds on better but is it possible to take it off later like the tape? Without ruining the paint of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

I don't have any experience with the betalink, but 3M VHB is a really good adhesive for this application. I worked with a company that was installing antennas transportation containers and we ultimately selected vhb as our fastener. It is used all over the place in transportation, including to hold skin panels on ambulances, busses, etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with it at higher temperatures, the stuff is an epoxy that cures in warmer temperatures. The warmer it gets, the better bond you will get. Just make sure you select the version that best suits your coldest extremes as this is where it can weaken. Also pay attention to any surface prep instructions you get, prep is the key to a good bond with vhb.
      06-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

How hard is it to remove VHB once it's been stuck? Also, will it do any damage to the paint?

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk668 View Post
I ordered a cf spoiler from United BMW and wanted to know the best route for me to install it. I have done searches and found the two options to be betalink and 3M VHB tape.

I am trying to decide which one would be best for me. I did some searches and saw the diy's but still have some questions.

1. Since my car is a leaser, will the betalink come off without ruining the paint in a few years?

2. Would the 3M VHB tape be strong enough to hold at high speeds? Does it hold as well as betalink?

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.
Why not just leave it on the car when you turn it in? It's a bmw accessory so I doubt the dealer will have a problem with it. The hassle of trying to remove it would not be worth the effort in my opinion.. 3M tape or betalink.

The nice thing about the betalink is the overall bonding surface on the spoiler is not perfectly flat. You apply the betalink to the entire surface like icing on a cake and it compresses when you install the spoiler, adhering to the entire surface area. It would not be as easy to do with 3M tape so you would be relying on a smaller surface area for the bond.

Another thing to keep in mind is the CF spoiler isn't solid. It's hollow and the forward part bonds to the top of the trunk lid while the aft surface bonds to the back corner of the lid. You would need to apply a strip of 3M tape to both the front and rear edges of the spoiler and hope neither breaks its bond.

The last thing is the aft end of the spoiler sticks to an area of the trunk normally exposed when the stock spoiler installed. If you try to swap back to the stock spoiler the areas where the CF spoiler was adhered will be visible.. so you would need to be VERY careful when removing the CF spoiler with betalink or 3M tape.

As I said, I would install it properly with betalink and forget about trying to remove it.
      06-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
How hard is it to remove VHB once it's been stuck? Also, will it do any damage to the paint?
heh, I don't think it will cause damage, but it will be a bear to remove. I'd plan to leave it on.